Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Huntress and Lady Shiva enter into deadly match to decide the fate of the imperiled, kidnapped Sin.

The Good

Thailand rarely gets used as a locale in comics, so I give this issue credit for featuring a setting that was not only unusual, but also authentically researched.  Even just little touches like the specific flourishes in the Birds' "paradisaical prison" added a wonderful flavor to the plot. While I question the precise handling of the resolution, I still felt like the climax, pitting heroine against heroine, was a superbly creative twist on the usual end brawl.

The Bad

Maybe it was established in the first half of the arc (an issue I sadly had to miss) - - maybe it still makes for a cool culture clash - - but it seemed like Lady Shiva shook off, a bit too fast, the intense feelings she had during her duel with Huntress.  While the fact that they come to a begrudging respect is a actually pretty effective, the immediacy of the change is almost a little comical.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

This is an all-too-brief sampling of the series for me, but I did enjoy how the Birds are defined not simply by having an all-girl's line-up or by having bird-themed members, but by the unusual locations and situations they find themselves in. A new arc's staring next issue, so I'm looking forward to get firmer footing to follow these femme fatales and give them a more accurate assessment. I've been loving Secret Six, so I know I'll like this.
    Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scott757

yay, is this series any good?
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@Scott757: Yes.
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By longbowhunter

I too felt the conflict wrapped rather suddenly. Lady Shiva in any comic is a plus!!
    soap on a rope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soap on a rope

i dont read birds but that cover is awesome. also gail simone is great (i read secret six)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

They could have stretched this out to at least 3 issues and given us MORE SHIVA!  

(i'm all giddy inside. I now own a comic with Lady Shiva!)
    antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By antiterra

I couldn't agree more with Jake Fury and longbowhunter. More Shiva is always welcome and chances that's exactly what we're going to get.

With Shiva's frequent appearances in Simone's previous BoP runs and Cassandra Cain official return to the DCU, we'll probably see more of her in the coming months.

I can't wait for her to have the old "so, you impaled me on a meat hook and left me for dead" conversation with her daughter. :)

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By queenfrost_

I'm loving this series!

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Pizawle

This series at times has been just as great as Secret Six but it cannot seem to find that footing permanently.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bestostero

love the Shiva :)

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Eyz

Beautiful art for the cover :P
    No denying that!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

I don't know that I'll be buying this issue. I have some serious issues with the fight between Huntress and Shiva.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:
    "I don't know that I'll be buying this issue. I have some serious issues with the fight between Huntress and Shiva. "

In the context of the story its very well done and makes sense. If you want to know further details I'll be glad to elaborate in a PM so I won't spoil it for anyone here.
    mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrtrickster

SHIVA!!!!!!!!!!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Jake Fury said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    "I don't know that I'll be buying this issue. I have some serious issues with the fight between Huntress and Shiva. "
    In the context of the story its very well done and makes sense. If you want to know further details I'll be glad to elaborate in a PM so I won't spoil it for anyone here. "
    In the context of the story? What about the context of the characters? It was cheap, cliche, and poorly executed (in my opinion).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler said:
    " @Jake Fury said:
    In the context of the story its very well done and makes sense. If you want to know further details I'll be glad to elaborate in a PM so I won't spoil it for anyone here. "
    In the context of the story? What about the context of the characters? It was cheap, cliche, and poorly executed (in my opinion). "

To be honest its the only comic I've ever read with Shiva. I'm going to stick my head in the sand right now.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler said:
    " @Jake Fury said:
    In the context of the story? What about the context of the characters? It was cheap, cliche, and poorly executed (in my opinion). "

It definitely could have been stretched out and improved. I am not denying that fact sir!
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Jake Fury said:
    " To be honest its the only comic I've ever read with Shiva. I'm going to stick my head in the sand right now.   "
    Sorry if my last post seemed as if I was belittling your opinion or overly aggressive. Its not you, its the comic itself. I was highly disappointed in the way it was handled. However any fan of Lady Shiva is a friend to me ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler said:
    " @Jake Fury said:
    " To be honest its the only comic I've ever read with Shiva. I'm going to stick my head in the sand right now.   "
    Sorry if my last post seemed as if I was belittling your opinion or overly aggressive. Its not you, its the comic itself. I was highly disappointed in the way it was handled. However any fan of Lady Shiva is a friend to me ;) "

Not at all. I meant I was going to stick my head in the sand due to not buying more stuff with Shiva! LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.