no_name_'s Birds of Prey #8 - The Death of Oracle, Part Two of Four: The Gauntlets and the Guillotine review

The Death of Oracle: Part Deux!

The Good

In the last issue of Birds of Prey we were introduced to Mortis, who has been hired by The Calculator to destroy the Birds of Prey. The villainess has the power to make her opponent realize their fears, deepest regrets and shame-- bringing all of them to the surface, paralyzing her opponent. In this issue we see her abilities in full effect when she takes hold of one of the members of the Bird's. When I found out about the story arc's title, and realized that The Calculator would be facing off against Oracle, I said to myself; "this is a perfect match." It's a battle between two of the smartest people in the DCU, facing off against one another.
I am sometimes hesitant about new villains being introduced to comics, and lately I have felt that many of them that have been are boring or lacking interesting character attributes. I don't have that problem here. I find Mortis to be interesting, and the Calculator to be the perfect counter to Oracle. This issue is extremely well written, and I felt the pacing was perfect. Alternating between action sequences featuring the Birds and the Penguin were fantastic.

The scenes in this issue featuring the Penguin and his attempt to instruct "how to be charming" to one of the waitresses at his club was hilarious. I thought it was fantastic the way Guillem March captured the movement  of Gail Simone's language through his art. Everything from the cover (which just pops out at you) to the pacing of the story, and the expression in the art is awesome.

The Bad

Does there have to be anything bad?

The pacing of the story is great. The issue is interesting, the characters are well written, well illustrated and the comic is exciting. Made me fall in love with Birds of Prey all over again, and kept me at the edge of my seat.
Edited by longbowhunter

This was probably my favorite Birds issue since the relaunch. I too loved the scene with Penguin and the waitress. My only real complaint about this series thus far is lack of a steady artist. 8 issues in and we've seen like 5 artist come and go. I adore Guillem March on this book and would love to see him stick around. His work on Gotham City Sirens was what kept me coming back every month.
Online
Posted by Icarusflies

My only complaint with the issue is that Calculator might not survive the arc. :(

Moderator
Posted by FoxxFireArt

Cover: Where's Black Canary's fishnests? =(

This Mortris just sounds like another version of Scarecrow. Someone who manipulates fear, but through different means.

Not surprising at all that Simone would write the characaters well. She's one of those rare comic writers that understand that characters are people.

It should be interesting to see what the outcome of this story will be. Is the "Death" of Oracle literal or figurative? It could be interesting to see what could change.

Posted by queenfrost_
@FoxxFireArt:  They are there, look closely

and Great review Babs! I've been searching for reviews on this issue and finally I've found one!
Posted by Baddamdog

Yay! Babs doing reviews again! :D I've missed you :(

Other reviews for Birds of Prey #8 - The Death of Oracle, Part Two of Four: The Gauntlets and the Guillotine

Look At the Pretty Birdies 0

The Good: Gail Simone writes a team book superbly. All the characters personalities are very clearly defined and emphasized without them just over exaggerating a specific character trait; instead more subtly focusing on how the characters play off each other so well with their dialogue. Stanley 'Artgem' Lau drew the cover.Guillem March's art isn't too big a jump from Ardian Syaf's art last issue. Mortis' dialogue is pretty neat, and it's more fun if you remember that it's all a bit of a persona ...