sc's Birds of Prey #1 - Let Us Prey review

• sc wrote this review on .
  • sc has written a total of 23 reviews. The last one was for The Spark

Damned Tattoos & Blue Fishnets

Overview
Ornithologists beware, the Birds.. are back.. and they are... back.. and stuff. This is another one of the DCnU 52 books, that has characters on the cover that do not actually appear in the book, but that's okay. Book starts fast and that pace is keep at such for most of the issue. Most of the issue focuses on Black Canary and my totally favorite new character of right now, Starling. (its the tattoos, sass factor and the hair) but one very famous and popular Bird of Prey character from its past also appears, just not in an acting capacity as a Birds of Prey member, which is one thing I am still not really use to, but I'll have to get over it.

Solid fun issue, that wastes no time with bothersome introductions and gets to plenty of action, but the type that allows Dinah's (Black Canary) and Ev (Starling's) personalities to shine though, and also pays respect to Canary's badass fighting skills. We get bits and pieces that show the details and nuisances of how the team formed, and by who, and why and how the opening action scene got initiated. Issue ends on what starts to seem as a quiet, peaceful ending, but it has a twist.

Writing & Plot
Duane Swierczynski does a solid job here, and I really, really have to learn to maybe try not compare this Birds of Prey and future issues, to the issues written by Gail Simone, its just really hard to as a fan of her epic sized run. There were some nice plot twists that make me reminisce of earlier Birds of Prey arc Blood and Circuits. I miss certain characters, but this was a fun book that had two tough kick-ass characters with different personalities and attitudes that mesh really well so far. Was also incredibly accessible, which is pretty important considering this is a new number one issue. Sort of felt maybe a bit too light for my personal taste? I do hope that more depth and complexity is added as story progresses. Plus that should come organically with the addition of the other characters advertised on the cover.

Art & Visuals
Jesus Saiz also, does a very solid job on art. I have been a bit apprehensive about Black Canary's new design, it seems... a tab bit too complex, and the yellow seemed... but now i have the issue and have read the story, I find myself being fond of the design. It works in sequence and page after page. I don't find it as iconic as her former outfit, but it might have the potential to get there. Designs aside, artistically book has lots of cool moments and panels. I was especially fond of the transparent ninja assassins.

Moment of Damnation
Damned Girls are the best. (love the Tattoos too)

Hell might be more fun, so not all bad...?
Moment of Halitosis
Liked the blur effect in the first panel, and yes the kiss killed her. I think would have been much better if it was Rogue...

Then she screamed and his head turned into red mist...
Who Should Read This?
Anyone who is attempting to buy all of the DCnU 52? Fans of tough female characters? Regular Birds of Prey fans? (its a bit different granted) Some cool, tough, fun, sassy action here too, so if that sounds like your thing, by all means.

Overall I give this issue a 3.5/5
Posted by ragdollpurps

Starling is totally one of my new faves as well. She makes me want to go back to having Bettie bangs and being a brunette.

@ragdollpurps said:

You should so do that! If you do, I will too! (I think you'd pull it off much, much much better than me though naturally... plus I'd be cheating I already have brown hair)

I can't wait to see her interact with other characters, like Lady Blackhawk. Oh, plus since she is new, she won't have much fan art! You realize its up to us to represent yes?
Posted by Timandm

Sooooo... (Deep in thought here. Imagine me looking very.. um.. Pontifical...)

Female Super heroes. A whole team of them. And NOT ONE is wearing a bathing suit or fighting crime in a thong?

This IS new and different. Must be the result of Flash Point... I honestly had not idea how far the ramifications of flashpoint would go...

Posted by Silkcuts

Starling seems to be a hit new character
^_^
Enjoyed the review.
Thanks

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

I'v never read a Birds of Prey book before but I really enjoyed this so I think I might pick it up on a regular basis

@spiderbat87 said:

That is great to hear, and here is hoping that each issue stays as enjoyable or even gets more enjoyable.
Posted by jubilee042

@SC: is canary dead

Posted by Silkcuts

congrats on the feature

Posted by shawn87

Congratulations landing your review on the front page. I wanted to pick this issue up this week but my comic store was sold out. I got there too late...

@jubilee042:  Oh no, she is okay! *smile*

@Silkcuts:  Thank you Silkcuts!!

@shawn87:  Thank you! Oh yeah, that always sucks. Hopefully they can get more? Plus eventually at least TPB.
Posted by Eyz

Looks like a decent follow-up to the regular classic BoP title.

I hope some more familiar faces will turn up (Lady Shiva? Huntress? Zinda?)

Posted by SC
@Eyz:  Would love so much to see Zinda, Huntress, Misfit and Big Barda!!!

*nods* Its off to an okay start.
Posted by daredeville

Nice review..! I am a Marvel guy, but have been eyeing some of the new 52 titles. I always thought Birds of Prey looked like a fun book, and I'm with you in loving the look of Starling! And I'm glad to hear she's got the sass to match. She looks like she could be in a cool rock band like The Ettes... we need more of that kind of personality in comic book women.

I've read Swierczynski's work before on the Iron Fist books, and he did a nice job carrying on where Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction left off. He's pretty solid, so that is encouraging too. Plus the art looks strong too.. Alright, SC, you've convinced me. I'll see if I can pick this one up!

Posted by Hawkeye446

Nice review. Yes, I really enjoyed this issue! Like you said, light, accessible, and there were no real 'bad moment' regarding the art of the story. The blur was indeed cool, and I liked that secret meeting. Although she said no, I believe she will be joining later in the series. Bravo!

Posted by KRYPTON

Great review, congrats on getting featured as well

@daredeville said:

I usually refer to myself as a Marvel guy too *smile*

Nice comparison with Starling to the Ettes!  I agree, it just helps having such colorful and diverse characters mingling in there with others.

Thank you daredeville, and I hope you enjoy the issue as much as me!

@Hawkeye446 said:

Thanks, and yes, that would be great! I heard she will appear as guest in issue 4!

@KRYPTON said:

Great review, congrats on getting featured as well

Thank you, and thank you, much appreciated! *smile*