Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Who read "The Power of Shazam"?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Was it any good?

Is it worth picking up?

Andhaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@pperspectiveandreality: Captain Marvel is my favorite superhero. However, this series was lacking. They attempted to give the stories the feel of the original 30's book, and it did not work well at all. You can still get the series though as it is ok, and it's not like there was any other CM series. But keep in mind it is not all that good. They made some changes to the original CM, such as Mary Marvel also drawing on the same power source as CM (when in the original series Mary drew her power from her own set of elders)

The real 'modern' essential comics you should read if you want to get a dose of the awe inspiring Captain Marvel is the following:

Shazam: Power of Hope

Justice League: Justice (12 issue mini series)

Kingdom Come

After the above you can also read the following:

Superman/Shazam: First Thunder

52 (Black Adam arc)

Black Adam World War III spin off

Black Adam: Dark Age

Power of Shazam

New 52 Shazam TPB vol 1 (2 should be out this year I think)

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@andhaira said:

@pperspectiveandreality: Captain Marvel is my favorite superhero. However, this series was lacking. They attempted to give the stories the feel of the original 30's book, and it did not work well at all. You can still get the series though as it is ok, and it's not like there was any other CM series. But keep in mind it is not all that good. They made some changes to the original CM, such as Mary Marvel also drawing on the same power source as CM (when in the original series Mary drew her power from her own set of elders)

The real 'modern' essential comics you should read if you want to get a dose of the awe inspiring Captain Marvel is the following:

Shazam: Power of Hope

Justice League: Justice (12 issue mini series)

Kingdom Come

After the above you can also read the following:

Superman/Shazam: First Thunder

52 (Black Adam arc)

Black Adam World War III spin off

Black Adam: Dark Age

Power of Shazam

New 52 Shazam TPB vol 1 (2 should be out this year I think)

Thank you. I appreciate this very much.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Shazam new 52 vol 1 Was amazing. Shazam in the new 52 is everything Cpt Marvel SHOULD have been years ago. Cpt Marvel was my fav DC hero and now as Shazam I like him even more

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Shazam new 52 vol 1 Was amazing. Shazam in the new 52 is everything Cpt Marvel SHOULD have been years ago. Cpt Marvel was my fav DC hero and now as Shazam I like him even more

Agreed. Personally I think all these cheesy Silver Age portrayals of Captain Marvel should be left in the 60s, hence I didn't buy Shazam Convergence. New 52 shazam has been properly modernised and is very cool!

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I read it and it is one of my favorite comic. It is so emotional and it shows us being a hero is not just about punching the bad guys. And the art is just perfect.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.