When is Captain Marvel going to get his own Ongoing book?

#1 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio

Or are they just gonna continue lumping him with the JL side stories? One of my favorite characters not being a focal point is not right. But I do like the back story with Billy Watson though...

#2 Posted by Oliver83570 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, Captain Marvel is one of Dc's greatest heroes and they haven't used him to his full potential for a while now. I mean they could easily have given one of the 4 new comic series beginning in September to him instead of Phantom Stranger or Talon.

#3 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

They probably will/should I mean I agree he is a great character. But I think they should rap it up in JLA and give him his own series.

#4 Posted by noj (1068 posts) - - Show Bio

After his origin is finished and he gets a bit more exposure in Justice League I imagine he will get his own series. Probably in the next wave of books.

#5 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully very soon. i enjoy his origin a lot

#6 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

Well they're continuing his origin as a back up in Justice League even after the 0 issue. At some point, he'll join the League, get even more exposure and then be popular enough to hold his own book.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

After his origin is finished and he gets a bit more exposure in Justice League I imagine he will get his own series. Probably in the next wave of books.

This

#8 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Well they're continuing his origin as a back up in Justice League even after the 0 issue. At some point, he'll join the League, get even more exposure and then be popular enough to hold his own book.

#9 Posted by BR_Havoc (1265 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the replacement member for Hal Jorden right now. I think that is a good and if the upcoming Trinity war has a team that consists of Superman, Captain Marvel,Wonder Woman and Aquaman who can stop that team? I do not see anyone expect for Martian Manhunter on the JLA that is in the same league.

#10 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2608 posts) - - Show Bio

DC had better get with the program if they want me to buy a Shazam series based on what I've seen in the Shazam back ups in Justice League. I was willing to give new Billy a shot but when he starts stealing from ATM's, I don't care if it was Freddy's idea, we got a problem.

They are missing the one thing that makes Billy Batson a likable character. The fantasy. Billy Batson lives in a fantasy world outside of other superheroes. Let me explain.

Billy Batson turning into Captain Marvel is wish fulfillment in it's purest form. Every kid at some point wishes they could be a superhero. Billy has that. Billy's origin is truly fantastic, chosen by an ancient wizard to stand against the seven deadly enemies of man and given the powers of the gods.

I've once heard Billy Batson likened to Peter Pan. That's not too far off. Billy and Peter Pan both have the same kind of freedom and wish fulfillment. Both live every kid's dream, to have absolute freedom, to have grand adventures and loving every second of it.

If you want a more serious hero with powers similar to Captain Marvel's, read Superman. He deals in science and technology, things that CAN be explained. Captain Marvel? He's on the opposite side of the spectrum. He deals in magic and fantasy, things that can't be explained but are wondrous to say the least.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32632 posts) - - Show Bio
@Oliver83570: Talon is really good
#12 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2585 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hope he eventually gets his own book. The shazam mini in back of Justice League have been fantastic.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Before Geoff Johns' treatment I wasn't thatm uch of a fan of Billy but now I really want his own ongoing book soon.He deserves it and after the New 52 there are a lot of people that started liking him a lot.

#14 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2608 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: Yet it at the same time alienates his old fans completely. I'm all for alternate takes on characters, but not when said takes blatantly disregard key facets about the character. In an alternate universe story this would be fine, but the Billy represented is NOT in an alternate universe he's in the main DCU.

I was willing to give this new Billy a chance. I was fine with the fact he's now called Shazam, though I think Captain Thunder would've been a slightly better alternative. I was willing to put up with the fact Billy wasn't exactly the nicest kid out there. But when they have Billy Batson using his powers to STEAL that's where I draw the line. I don't care if he was talked into it, it doesn't work.

If DC fixes him then I'll read a series with him no questions asked, but until then I refer to this Billy Batson as Captain Bizarro.

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: For the using powers for stealing - things aren't finished at lal.I think Geoff Johns will make him realize that he is bad and shouldn't his powers like he is using them now.He will become the good kid he was and will continue his life as being part of the JLA.

#16 Posted by Oliver83570 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I think he could have been good but they should have given a darker look to his costume, like the other Talons.

#17 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

A shazam title should be coming soon. There are always more titles getting cancelled giving way to new titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.