Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

The Curse of Shazam question?

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RScottH08

So, im really sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any idea on how long the backstory in JL is gonna last? I was getting JL because of it and 11 has the solicitaion for shazam, but 12 doesnt. So my question is will 12 still have the backstory?

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By TheOptimist

The general solicitation does not have any information, but the DC website does continue to feature mention of a backup, still as drawn by Gary Frank, so presumably the story will continue. At this point I see no reason to assume otherwise... I don't recall any mention of how long exactly the Shazam feature will last, but I would assume that it won't carry on for too much longer past that point, hopefully it will be launched into its own separate title and the book will either find a replacement backup, an expanded page count or supplemental material.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By evilvegeta74

It's a trick to bring more sales to the JL title. Shazam fans have to buy that title just to keep up with the character. This is totally unfair when Batman has at least 7 titles and 4 associated, while everone else is suffering because their favorite titles are being cancelled.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By TheOptimist

@evilvegeta74 said:

It's a trick to bring more sales to the JL title. Shazam fans have to buy that title just to keep up with the character. This is totally unfair when Batman has at least 7 titles and 4 associated, while everone else is suffering because their favorite titles are being cancelled.

I actually have to disagree there... I don't think that there is a sizable community of Shazam fans that are buying the book that would not be otherwise... I of course have no evidence for this, and your presence provides at least one counterpoint to that... but the sales figures pre-Shazam feature and post are not really indicative that the addition has been a substantial draw... I actually see it as the opposite, attempting to give Shazam a larger audience through the exposure of the backup feature that will then make the inevitability of the character receiving his own title a little bit more feasible by drawing some of those readers along for the ride...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.