Shazam! might be getting his own series.

Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

I like so many other people have really liked the Justice League Shazam! Back up and have found it to be the best part of the book, but come issue 21 his origin ends and so probably does the backup. Now my theory is that he's getting his own series and this basically was a prequel because DC will have 50 ongoings come June and there needs to be two more right? So one of those is rumoured to be a Trinity of Sin Question ongoing (like Pandora is getting a series and Phantom Stranger has been renamed Trinity of Sin Phantom Stranger) so that brings it to 51. So I think Shazam will be the other series it makes sense as DC have seen the response the Backup has got so being the money making machine it is it will at some point (hopefully) launch a series as part of the reason people buy Justice League is for the backup. So hopefully they will launch this series but it's not confirmed.

So any thoughts?

#1 Posted by ptigrusmagus (486 posts) - - Show Bio

Would read!

#2 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus: Me too! Especially if Gary Frank was on art.

#3 Edited by Captain13 (3314 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be awesome. I've wanted new Shazam and Cyborg solo books for a while, but I don't think Billy will get a book until the end of Trinity War. The missing books will be Trinity War tie-ins. I'm sure of it. There's no reason to withhold the solicits on any books unless they are Trinity War solicits. Question may be one of the missing tie-in books. DC will establish Billy's place in the DCU in Trinity War, then give him his own title afterward.

#4 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: I see what you mean but since he's a big player in the DC U with his power levels they might want to give him his series before and start it off as a tie-in.

#5 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

I have one thing to say about a possible Shazam solo series... It's about damn time!

#6 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be awesome, not that I'd be able to afford it though - I'd have to stick to the trades.

#7 Posted by Teerack (5725 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!

#8 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4523 posts) - - Show Bio

overdue!

#9 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray: It is time! (hope I'm right)

#10 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: So true!

#11 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really like a Shazam series but i think Larfleeze is getting a series, which was what took it up to 52.

#12 Posted by ptigrusmagus (486 posts) - - Show Bio

As stated his power levels are awesome. I want to see him using and learning them in an ongoing!

#13 Posted by Captain13 (3314 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232 said:

@Captain13: I see what you mean but since he's a big player in the DC U with his power levels they might want to give him his series before and start it off as a tie-in.

I dunno, I'd prefer if his story didn't start off with an event that everyone will forget in 5 years. I'd rather wait three more months and only get timeless stories. Just my opinion. Thanks for starting this thread!

#14 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91: No I believe because of the mass of cancellations that it is 50 it will be at in June. So there are still two other series.

#15 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: Haha no problem! Now you say it yeah it makes sense but Shazam! will be involved in the Trinity war I'm sure of that.

#16 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232: Fair point, but I think it's full. I also think that Shazam will become a member of the normal Justice League as with him in the back-up story it would be random/stupid not to.

#17 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus said:

As stated his power levels are awesome. I want to see him using and learning them in an ongoing!

I do too! I'm interested to see what they do in terms of villain as well.

#18 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232: What about Green Team, and Movement series as they weren't mentioned in that article. Anyway I'd like it anyway if there was a Shazam series, as that along with Red Robin and Cyborg are what I've been wanting series of for a while.

#20 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91: I believe the reason is because they will be launched in May so it doesn't mention that. I want there to be a Cyborg series as well (haven't read much with Tim Drake in so I can't tell) I'd want to see a Zatanna series or a Martian Manhunter series.

#21 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh well BUMP!

#22 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

His backups are getting HARDCOVER treatment, so i wouldn't be surprised if an on-going was introduced to continuee his FAMILLYYYY ADVENTUUUURRREEESS!!!

#23 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@baberaham_lincoln: That is a pretty good indication of that he is getting a new series if he's got a hardcover so here's to hoping.

#24 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1242 posts) - - Show Bio

Would love to see this happen and this would be a must by for me! I'm I loving the New 52 back ups. A little, but I'd love to see some big adventures with the Marvel family! Introduce Mr. Mind and the Monster Society of Evil, give Mary and CMJ new names to fit with Shazam, and change Dr. Sivana's look a bit (I want the odd looking Sivana. Franks Sivana kinda reminds me of Lex and is a bit to realistic IMO)

#25 Posted by AwesomeHobos (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Since we're pretty sure Gary Frank won't be on art, I would love to see Francis Manapul draw it.

#26 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesomehobos: True, but I doubt Francis Manupl could do it either as he's on Flash.

#27 Posted by Pperspectiveandreality (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt we're gonna get this

#28 Posted by Andhaira (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt we're gonna get this

It's coming this year/ At least, that was the plan up until late last year. I would assume it will come in the summer when it will replace some cancelled title

#29 Posted by Pperspectiveandreality (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

There wont be any series until Johns is done with either Superman or JL,you're gonna have to wait atleast 2 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.