Return Captain Marvel!!

• 65 results
#1 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel has always been a favorite character of mine but what is DC really doing with him. At this moment nobody has the powers of "Shazam" (I had heard that Freddy got the powers taken from him by Osiris). Why did DC feel it necessary to completely tear this family down?      I would really like to see Billy come back in a short series. He reclaims the powers of Shazam and he no longer has Mary following him around being a power whore. I'm sorry to all the Mary Marvel fans but it is true. She has proven that she will only go with whoever will give her power and I think it’s sad that DC still had her following Billy around in the Shazam one shot that came out just recently ONLY because Black Adam refused to share his powers with her. 

Is there any chance that Billy will come back? Who would like to see Billy Batson as Captain Marvel again?

#2 Posted by jec777 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has done not a thing with cap since they bought the rights to him.  they even lost the name captain marvel to marvel comics.  here we have a superman level character who should be fighting villians like darkseid, mongul, even cyborg superman.  NOT a smart worm and a decrepid old scientist who is nowhere near the same catagory as lex luthor.  DC has not put a serious writer on cap ever.  john byrne should revamp cap the way hed did superman in 86.  Cap has the wisdom of soloman but acts like a little kid.  all characters have grown a little, tim drake is older now, clark and lois married that took time  how about a 19 or 20 year old billy batson acting more like a man than a child.  Kingdom come was by far the best captain marvel ever.  i love the character, or i should say i ove what the character could be.
#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7811 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777:
I agree. I ddint know that they havent done anything with him since they bought the right (thought they always had the rights) but i knew they had to change the name. I didnt really think about the fact that he should be Dick Graysons age or older shouldnt he? I would like to see an older, more mature Billy Batson. Also i would like to see Mary Marvel again but she would be older to and more responsible (like Gwen from Ben 10) or give her abilities from somewhere other then her brother. 

#4 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

True Billy should be 20 something

#5 Posted by Fire Star (3478 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz:

Mary Marvel has some of the most potential to have a great story line, just because Countdown screwed her up doesn't mean she isn't a good character overall, when in fact she is.
#6 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
yea Mary getting her powers form another source is a nice idea. I think that is how they wrote her in BIlly Batson and and Magic of Shazam which i will be purchasing in a couple of hours here.
#7 Edited by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
eh....they have made her out to seem like a power junkie. Though upon further reflection i don't want to make her out to be such a bad person...i might just need to read a little more about her.
#8 Posted by DEGRAAF (7811 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fire Star:
actually i loved where countdown was going with her until they made her go crazy with eclipso and color her hair purple and all that. When she became part of Black Adams family, i thought that was good story evolution and felt natural
#9 Posted by jec777 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

it was to close to what they did with supergirl and darkseid though.  the marvel family is a little overkill, as a whole.  the talking tiger needs to go, uncle marvel needs to go, or at least be changed to something like an x navy seal or something.  just because there is a superboy dosn't mean there needs to be a captain marvel jr.  freddy would work out nice if he was working with barbara gordon as an info finder, maybe even a little romance started between the two.  what would dick grayson think about that. 
#10 Posted by DEGRAAF (7811 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea they need to keep it at 

Billy, Mary 

Black Adam, Isis, Osiris

#11 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

very much so agree

#12 Posted by jec777 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

mary should be ordered, by the gods,  to train with the amazons.  later have a mini series of mary marvel , wonder woman, supergirl, batgirl, starfire, and maybe hawkwoman.  all woman team.  jim lee as the artist.
#13 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777:
Yes, yes and yes again!!!!
#14 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777 said:
" mary should be ordered, by the gods,  to train with the amazons.  later have a mini series of mary marvel , wonder woman, supergirl, batgirl, starfire, and maybe hawkwoman.  all woman team.  jim lee as the artist. "
mmmm i would give it a look.......
#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Ares should be a Captain Marvel villain.

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
"I think Ares should be a Captain Marvel villain. "

Great idea.  

Ares as a Captain Marvel villain would be perfect because of the mythological orgins of these characters.

#17 Posted by jec777 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

gods can'tbe very needy, they need worship.  make all of the gods who don't lend marvel his powers become his foes.

#18 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777 said:
"

gods can'tbe very needy, they need worship.  make all of the gods who don't lend marvel his powers become his foes.

"
nice idea
#19 Edited by mark5 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

Billy  and Freddy should have their own title.

#20 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@mark5 said:
Billy  and Freddy should have their own title.
^  
They just need good writers to introduce the character again.  
#21 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:
@Primmaster64 said:
"I think Ares should be a Captain Marvel villain. "

Great idea.  

Ares as a Captain Marvel villain would be perfect because of the mythological orgins of these characters.

I know... He should also had been a Captain Marvel villain.
#22 Posted by daredevil21134 (9116 posts) - - Show Bio

Billy rules

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134: BILLY HAS TO COME BACk....To be honest I have always though Captain Marvel was Superman's superior...Because of the magic...Billy is basically a god.
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (9116 posts) - - Show Bio

He's awsome @Primmaster64 said:

@daredevil21134: BILLY HAS TO COME BACk....To be honest I have always though Captain Marvel was Superman's superior...Because of the magic...Billy is basically a god.
#25 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134: And You know how much of a Superman fan I am.
#26 Posted by daredevil21134 (9116 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
@daredevil21134: And You know how much of a Superman fan I am.
Yes sir I do.Your a real fanboy.
#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (13631 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll prolly be coming back after Flashpoint,Morrison also has plans for him in Multiversity.I'll be very suprised if he stays in limbo even after all that.I can't wait to see him and Batman tear Aquaman and Wonder Woman a new one in Flashpoint.
#28 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134:  don't like that term..

@entropy_aegis
Hopefully
#29 Posted by StarKiller809 (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of Captain Marvel, but I really liked his few apperances in the JLU show. I think that a series is what he need. I would deffinitly read it if they had to whole family there. DC Comics should try to get him more well known incase they loose Superman in their leagal battle.
#30 Posted by daredevil21134 (9116 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
@daredevil21134:  don't like that term..

@entropy_aegis: Hopefully
Ok your a die hard fan.Is that better?
#31 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134: ....
#32 Posted by daredevil21134 (9116 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
Ok Superman is your main hero xd
#33 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
@Primmaster64 said:
Ok Superman is your main hero xd
XD
#34 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
I honestly think that if DC doesn't add him to their set of new titles here in August they have decided to simply let his character die.
#35 Posted by The Poet (8199 posts) - - Show Bio

This "Captain Marvel" subject is a little touchy for DC.
As they didn't copyright the title of Captain marvel, Mavel the publisher stole it from them. now, Billy is just known as...well, Billy Batson with an awsome lightling bolt on his shirt.
So, the writers will have to work really hard to think of a new alias for Mr. Big Red Cheese.

They could go with the orginal idea from the character's creation in the 1940s for the character: "Captain Lighting!" (but it doesn't have the same pizazz as Captain Marvel has)

#36 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet said:
This "Captain Marvel" subject is a little touchy for DC. As they didn't copyright the title of Captain marvel, Mavel the publisher stole it from them. now, Billy is just known as...well, Billy Batson with an awsome lightling bolt on his shirt. So, the writers will have to work really hard to think of a new alias for Mr. Big Red Cheese.  They could go with the orginal idea from the character's creation in the 1940s for the character: "Captain Lighting!" (but it doesn't have the same pizazz as Captain Marvel has)
I didn't realize that. Can't they just call him Marvel?
#37 Posted by The Poet (8199 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:
@The Poet said:
This "Captain Marvel" subject is a little touchy for DC. As they didn't copyright the title of Captain marvel, Mavel the publisher stole it from them. now, Billy is just known as...well, Billy Batson with an awsome lightling bolt on his shirt. So, the writers will have to work really hard to think of a new alias for Mr. Big Red Cheese.  They could go with the orginal idea from the character's creation in the 1940s for the character: "Captain Lighting!" (but it doesn't have the same pizazz as Captain Marvel has)
I didn't realize that. Can't they just call him Marvel?
Well, as I said its touchy. I mean we can't have series called Marvel, but i guess we can call him Mavel...Its complicated.
See Billy's creation section for more details. I'm not the best at explaining this :)
#38 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet: Thanks for the link.
#39 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
I say they continue with the name of the kids series.... "Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam". 

I truly could care less if they completely change his name.
#40 Posted by The Poet (8199 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:
no problem.

this is also probbably the reason why Freddy Freedman couldn't say his super hero name (Captain Marvel Jr.), and why it was later changed to Shazam! (though the latter change could have been for the good of the maturing character)
#41 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet said:
@fodigg said:
no problem.  this is also probbably the reason why Freddy Freedman couldn't say his super hero name (Captain Marvel Jr.), and why it was later changed to Shazam! (though the latter change could have been for the good of the maturing character)
During the reboot they could easily change his origin story and just have him call himself "Shazam" 
Shazam: "Billy Batson, I was the protector of Earth many millenia ago and I was known to the people that I protected as "Shazam". I have been waiting for you for hundreds of years and I am now ready to pass the mantle to you. You Billy Batson will be Earths new protector. You will be the new "Shazam". 

I JUST solved DC's problem and it took me 2 minutes. I guarantee you Captain Marvel fans would not mind him being called Shazam from now on if it finally means giving him an ongoing. And its not THAT big of a change for us either.
#42 Posted by The Poet (8199 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz said:
@The Poet said:
@fodigg said:
no problem.  this is also probbably the reason why Freddy Freedman couldn't say his super hero name (Captain Marvel Jr.), and why it was later changed to Shazam! (though the latter change could have been for the good of the maturing character)
During the reboot they could easily change his origin story and just have him call himself "Shazam" Shazam: "Billy Batson, I was the protector of Earth many millenia ago and I was known to the people that I protected as "Shazam". I have been waiting for you for hundreds of years and I am now ready to pass the mantle to you. You Billy Batson will be Earths new protector. You will be the new "Shazam".  I JUST solved DC's problem and it took me 2 minutes. I guarantee you Captain Marvel fans would not mind him being called Shazam from now on if it finally means giving him an ongoing. And its not THAT big of a change for us either.
egad! he's done it!
Now, do we call Freddy Fredman Shazam Jr. now? or what?
#43 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet said:
@Kallarkz said:
@The Poet said:
@fodigg said:
During the reboot they could easily change his origin story and just have him call himself "Shazam" Shazam: "Billy Batson, I was the protector of Earth many millenia ago and I was known to the people that I protected as "Shazam". I have been waiting for you for hundreds of years and I am now ready to pass the mantle to you. You Billy Batson will be Earths new protector. You will be the new "Shazam".  I JUST solved DC's problem and it took me 2 minutes. I guarantee you Captain Marvel fans would not mind him being called Shazam from now on if it finally means giving him an ongoing. And its not THAT big of a change for us either.
egad! he's done it! Now, do we call Freddy Fredman Shazam Jr. now? or what?
lol. idk to be honest. If I were Billy i would say to Freddy 
 "Can you come up with your own name sir? I mean you're copying my powers, my costume,....just throw something original in there."
#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27422 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz said:
@The Poet said:
@fodigg said:
Superman: and who are you? 
Billy: I'm earth's mightiest mortal Shazam...KRAKOOOM...oh crap...
#45 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@Kallarkz said:
@The Poet said:
@fodigg said:
Superman: and who are you? Billy: I'm earth's mightiest mortal Shazam...KRAKOOOM...oh crap...
lol well they could change his transformation to be something more of a will based thing instead of if I accidentally say the name i change back. Like he has to say it and focus on the power for the transformation to take place.
#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27422 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@Kallarkz said:
@The Poet said:
@fodigg said:
Superman: and who are you? Billy: I'm earth's mightiest mortal Shazam...KRAKOOOM...oh crap...
lol well they could change his transformation to be something more of a will based thing instead of if I accidentally say the name i change back. Like he has to say it and focus on the power for the transformation to take place.
lol yea that's acutely what happened with Freddy, he didn't need to say the word just will it
#47 Posted by The Poet (8199 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:

Well, if Dc wanted to kill him off, that would be the way!

@Kallarkz said:

hmm...seems like a reasonable idea.
#48 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

I would not be for any changing of Billy's superhero persona's name.  Captain Marvel is what he is, DC has screwed with the family enough already, don't screw with the only keepsake we have of the time where Billy actually mattered.  By simple changing the name of Billy to Shazam that leaves itself open for more drastic changes.  If that happened, I'd have to kill someone.  No other choice.

#49 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
  I would not be for any changing of Billy's superhero persona's name.  Captain Marvel is what he is, DC has screwed with the family enough already, don't screw with the only keepsake we have of the time where Billy actually mattered.  By simple changing the name of Billy to Shazam that leaves itself open for more drastic changes.  If that happened, I'd have to kill someone.  No other choice.
i honestly would rather that then see him collect dust for another ...how many years.  
memories are good...i would like new ones =)
#50 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
LOL!! And your profile picture is almost exactly what i was talking about that Billy needs to say to Freddy. THIS

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.