New 52 Shazam Respect Thread

• 145 results
#1 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

In November 2011, the New 52 and now began a new direction was taken to the superheroes of DC, principally for the most powerful mortal: Shazam.

Let's take a look at the new Shazam feats in this new universe:

To see another New 52 Respect Thread,click here:http://www.comicvine.com/dc-comics/57-10/new-52-respect-threads/92-672946/

Besides being a jerk sometimes,Billy Batson is a good person
#2 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
Teleport himself thorught his lightning
The Wizard explain to Billy what powers he has,besides super strength,speed,flight,lightings...he can make spells
#3 Posted by cameron83 (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

cool,was wondering when i was going to see this guy in action

#4 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Yeah,me tooo...I can't wait for issue 13

#5 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this issue a whole lot. Hopefully he'll get his own series instead of just the few pages at the end of Justice League. I never knew anything about Billy Batson until this.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (20234 posts) - - Show Bio

At last I can look at this thread. Great collection of Billy's feats so far.

#7 Posted by Ms. Omega (4479 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it so far.

#8 Posted by MonsterStomp (18213 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this guys new costume :)

#9 Posted by lordgawain (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Always loved Cap Marvel. Agree with G_Money, hope he gets his own comic. Although something is better than nothing. Him joining the JL is going be epic. Superman and Cap Marvel on the same team!! Sweet!!

#10 Posted by WilliamJBatson (28 posts) - - Show Bio

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I'm so awesome. :)

#11 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

cool.

#12 Posted by Manute117 (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

#13 Posted by cameron83 (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21:

In the recent justice league,he

Don't read unless you don't want spoilers.It was an amazing issue with an awesome back up

just learned that he could fly.He (and people tied to the magic world) can see magical beings.He also used a magic spell to get money from an ATM (sounds wrong out of context,but read the issue more to see what I mean).So he does use magic....and he came across black adam.
#14 Posted by cameron83 (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Also he was invulnerable to bullets.

#15 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: @Manute117: @lordgawain: @G_Money_Christmas: @MonsterStomp: More scans

Casting a magic spell,to get monet from a machine
#16 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

the last panel in pic 2 looks like christopher reeves

#17 Posted by WilliamJBatson (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Enjoying the scans of me? Eventful life I live, huh?

#18 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2639 posts) - - Show Bio

And that part where he's stealing money is what made me lose what little hope I had for this new Billy Batson.

I can understand where they were coming from on the "There's no such thing as a pure person" since unfortunately that's kinda true in this day and age. However there are still good people and Billy should definitely be a good kid!!

I can buy that he'd ASK for money the first time someone offers to repay him for saving them since he IS a kid and is VERY new to the whole superhero thing. BUT STEALING?!?! SERIOUSLY DC?!?!?!?! You are having Billy Batson, the kid who's always been an even BIGGER boy-scout than Superman, using his powers to steal from an ATM.

They are missing the one thing that makes Billy Batson a likable character. The fantasy. Billy Batson lives in a fantasy world outside of other superheroes. Let me explain.

Billy Batson turning into Captain Marvel is wish fulfillment in it's purest form. Every kid at some point wishes they could be a superhero. Billy has that. Billy's origin is truly fantastic, chosen by an ancient wizard to stand against the seven deadly enemies of man and given the powers of the gods.

I've once heard Billy Batson likened to Peter Pan. That's not too far off. Billy and Peter Pan both have the same kind of freedom and wish fulfillment. Both live every kid's dream, to have absolute freedom, to have grand adventures and loving every second of it.

If you want a more serious hero with powers similar to Captain Marvel's, read Superman. He deals in science and technology, things that CAN be explained. Captain Marvel? He's on the opposite side of the spectrum. He deals in magic and fantasy, things that can't be explained but are wondrous to say the least.

#19 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the new 52.it doesn't matter what he use to be like cause thisis Geoff johns new take on the character.and guess what! He knows more about comics then all of us so let the man do what he does and after its over give me your review,cause the story isn't done let so no one knows what he is planning or what the overall story is

#20 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel started out as just a Superman clone. Geoff Johns seems to be trying to change Captain Marvel into Timothy Hunter. Captain Marvel will need more reboots/revamps to look good.

#21 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

The new costume is epic.

#22 Posted by WilliamJBatson (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@Target_X: Thank you. I thought it looked cool as well. Prefer it more than my old costume. :)

#23 Posted by BlackMagicWolf (1 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by Lvenger (20234 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Very nice. Some growth from Billy is nice to see given his earlier brattish temper. Which was a nice change too.

#26 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Giving his friends powers

Outsmarting Black Adam

#27 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (937 posts) - - Show Bio

I think with time, Shazam will be really powerful (he just got physically man handled by Black Adam only cause of inexperience/still a kid)... i just hope they don't downplay him when he's in the JL books... but hearing interviews from Geoff Johns, he plans on making Shazam VERY relevant (with Cyborg) so from that i'm happy. Post the Pic of Shazam and BA choking each other... that was dope =D

#28 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: @colonyofcells: @cameron83: @jesusdisciple001: @lvenger: More scans

Justice League 21

Billy can empower other people,as did with his friends.
Unlike pre-new 52 Shazam can share his powers without weakening. Shazam and the orphans overhelmed Black Adam for a time,until Billy send them to beat Sabbbac and save the citizens.

Shazam can also enchant animals,it's possible he can transmuate through spells.
To cast and mantain the spell Shazam have to concentrate. Seeing the fight against Black Adam would be endless,Billy outsmart him to return to the human form and then Black Adam would die.
Now Billy is the only Champion of Magic.

#30 Posted by Lvenger (20234 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Thanks for notifying me of the update! This issue looked awesome! I love Shazam's portrayal in the New 52!

#31 Posted by cameron83 (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: @colonyofcells: @cameron83: @jesusdisciple001: @lvenger: More scans

Justice League 21

Billy can empower other people,as did with his friends.
Unlike pre-new 52 Shazam can share his powers without weakening. Shazam and the orphans overhelmed Black Adam for a time,until Billy send them to beat Sabbbac and save the citizens.

Shazam can also enchant animals,it's possible he can transmuate through spells.
To cast and mantain the spell Shazam have to concentrate. Seeing the fight against Black Adam would be endless,Billy outsmart him to return to the human form and then Black Adam would die.
Now Billy is the only Champion of Magic.

That is so awesome...

#32 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (937 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Yeah that's the one... lol. Billy got man handled... but it's his first!!! can't wait for Shazam to get 'bigger' in terms of role in the DC universe!!

Thanks

#33 Edited by Raw_Material (3296 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite splash pages. Great work Gary Frank, great work indeed!

#34 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Huge punch on Superman

#35 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (937 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Didn't Superman smash him, judging from those scans? Maybe it's just Billy's inexperience, hence why he got hit easily. One thing you can note is durability, Shazam took a solid hit to the face and got up to call the JL jerks hahaha. With time, Shazam will make Superman cry >=D.

Nice Scans

#37 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@baberaham_lincoln: Shazam match Superman in strength and durability,but he still inexperienced and this is why he was so surprise to knocked him down. Let's see what Billy will do during the Trinity War...

#38 Posted by ManofIron11 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Shazam in his own series.

#39 Posted by WilliamJBatson (28 posts) - - Show Bio

All I wanted was to bury Black Adam. Stupid Jerks (Justice League) :(

On the plus side, dang my costume looks sweeeeeeet!

#40 Posted by OmniBeast (478 posts) - - Show Bio

God Shazam is so awesome, even before N52 he's been one of my top favorite heroes over all.

#41 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@baberaham_lincoln: @lvenger: @williamjbatson: @omnibeast: @manofiron11: More scans

Constantine 5

Constantine steal Billy's powers by his own purposes,but the seems to consume it slowly.

Constantine confirms Shazam's powers is destroying him inside out. (because Billy is the only that suposed to wield this power).

#42 Posted by Lvenger (20234 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Ah very nice to see not even Constantine can keep the power of Shazam away from Billy for long.

#43 Posted by OmniBeast (478 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like a good read. I see Mary is hot again lol

#46 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Awesome another great thread for another one of my fav characters. SO you've done Aquaman Superman Shazam and Martian Manhunter well have you done Batman and Flash by any chance?

#47 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I done plenty new 52 respect threadso as other users,take a look here http://www.comicvine.com/dc-comics/4010-10/forums/new-52-respect-threads-672946/#94

@omnibeast: Oh yeah!!!!

#48 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1993 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8830 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.