New 52 Shazam Reboot

Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

S'up ppl,

Ok, so far I dunno how I feel about the new Shazam reboot. I have read the first two stories of Shazam (found in Justice Leagues series). Its seems like Geoff Johns is recreate the Shazam from the flashpoint which I did not like very much. I have a feeling each child will represent one letter and power from the word Shazam. I hope that is not the case or else I feel that is way to predictable. I don't understand why they decided to change Billy's personality into a brat, I guess it makes for a better story. I guess they'll completely kill off Freddy Freeman (Captain Marvel Jr.). Maybe they will take a piece of Shazam's DNA and make a Shazam clone jr. named Freddy Freeman lol j/k.

Anyways those are my 2 cents

Peace out people

Don't forget to look both ways before you cross the street.

#1 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing I didn't get? Did the kids steal Billy's wallet?

#2 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Thats a good questions, its a little unclear but I think freddy kept it.

#3 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

I believe so.
#4 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

Yup. I didn't even think it was vague. He just took it.
#5 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:@Kal'smahboi:

@ReVamp said:

I believe so.

I didn't make much sense to me though, I found it somewhat weird considering the characterization that the writer was trying to give the kids. I know I have no idea and the kids are kind of suspicious, but still, it justified his unbeknownst asshole-ness but that was then portrayed again in a negative light. It just seemed a weird mess of characterization. I know I should be looking that much into it but it just messes with me.

#6 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns has absolutely no idea on how to write Billy Batson.

#7 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious: LoL So far thats how I feel. But maybe who knows, it might turn out for the best.

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Well, Freddy stole his wallet, not the other kids, I think they're tying to characterize him as a con man of some kind

@mr.obvious said:

both correct and incorrect. He's not trying to write Billy, he's trying to redefine him as an almost completely new character, so whether or not he can write pre 52 Billy is unknown, but he did have a run on Justice Society where I think Billy crossed over so you'd have to find that to determine whether or not he can actually write Billy Batson

#9 Posted by Spiderslike (652 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I haven't read a lot with Captain Marvel in it I've always liked the character but I always did wonder how he managed to stay so positive given what he's been through. I actually like his brat attitude because to me it better reflects real world orphans and what they go through. I don't think Johns will make his attitude long lasting though. I believe the new Shazam will be a kind of cross between the old and Flashpoint. I think he will be changed by the experiences and personalities of his foster sibling to become worthy of the power of Shazam and then share that power with them.

#10 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: Well I like Geoff Johns, and i like almost everything is has ever done, from Teen titans and so on.. But i`m not sure if I like where he is going with the billy batson story ... anyways all in all i think he is an amazing writer. Weather I like what he does with Billy or not does not take away from the fact I think Geoff Johns is an amazing writer.

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@KidSupreme said:

@BlackArmor: Well I like Geoff Johns, and i like almost everything is has ever done, from Teen titans and so on.. But i`m not sure if I like where he is going with the billy batson story ... anyways all in all i think he is an amazing writer. Weather I like what he does with Billy or not does not take away from the fact I think Geoff Johns is an amazing writer.

Agreed on all counts actually, I'm not a fan of jerk Billy either but Johns is one of my favorite writers and he said that he was going to give Billy a heart of gold so I'm just waiting until he dust settles before I start joining

#12 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, this was the worst characterization ever. I mean even Miller in All Star Batman & Robin did a better job at it.

Billy Batson is supposed to be this sweet kid rewarded by the Wizard for his goodness. The Wizard chose him out of 7 billion people because only this kid could be trusted with the powers of seven gods. And why a kid? Because they represent innocence and the previous attempt on an adult completely failed as the power corrupted him.

I understand what Johns is trying to do, slow character development. Billy will become a nice person with time but this is completely out of character and contrary to what Captain Marvel is supposed to be about. I do not mind Retcons as long as the essence of the characters and concepts remain but here, everything is just unrecognizable.

#13 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: I hear you, and i totally agree with you ... man i am surprised i didn't think so many people would agree with me. I honestly expected a lot more people to be ok with this new Shazam.. but i'm happy they feel the same way i do. I really didn't think so many people would even care or know about shazam.. i'm happy you posted your opinions on this topic thanks

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (57918 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

Except he used him in his JSA run.

BB

#15 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@mr.obvious said:

Except he used him in his JSA run.

BB

I meant his new back-up feature in JL...

#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Billy a jerk?

#17 Posted by SlackerGuy (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Billy was supposed to be a really good guy. What bothered me the most tho was why he got his own room. Does each kid have his/her own room? It just looked like a generic suburban home. And why did the girl get mad at billy when the handicapped kid stole his wallet. Blah

#18 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

Why is Billy a jerk?

Just read my first post...

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it, I'm not afraid of change 

#20 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

It is a little more complicated than that.

Good change keeps the concept a series, the essence of its characters and improves on it. Bad change does not.

If you cannot recognize one thing in a franchise, it is not exactly great change.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarthShap said:

@spiderbat87 said:

It is a little more complicated than that.

Good change keeps the concept a series, the essence of its characters and improves on it. Bad change does not.

If you cannot recognize one thing in a franchise, it is not exactly great change.

I recognise this is a completely new take on everything, nothing more complicated than that
#22 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

I recognise this is a completely new take on everything, nothing more complicated than that

By definition, a "new take" implies that you keep stuff. All Star Batman is not a "new take" on the Batman franchise, it completely butchers it.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarthShap said:

@spiderbat87 said:

By definition, a "new take" implies that you keep stuff. All Star Batman is not a "new take" on the Batman franchise, it completely butchers it.

in your opinion 
#24 Edited by ShrimpDino (841 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike that fact that New 52 Billy Batson is jerk when he is always a nice kid

I hope he becomes nice later in the series

#25 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer a whimsical Billy/Captain Marvel. It's what set him apart from Superman, now he is just another dark, gritty DC character. That's just my opinion.

#26 Posted by Hit_Monkey (881 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm digging the back-up and I don't think billy is a jerk. He just acts like any other kid who has lost his parents. It'll be interesting to see him lose the chip on his shoulder as the story progresses. I even like the new costume and the name change to Shazam.

#27 Posted by HolySerpent (12515 posts) - - Show Bio

I pray at night that each kid dont repesent a letter.... This aint Fcking captain planet

#28 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it so far but i dont really understand how come Dial H and G.I Combat get ongoing books and SHAZAM does not. don`t get me wrong i enjoy those books too but IMO Shazam is one of the heroes that really deserves an ongoing. Like many other I hope that they don't go the Captain planet route but other then that i like the fact that Billy is acting like a brat but he has golden heart, and the redesign seem awesome

#29 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dhor said:

I love it so far but i dont really understand how come Dial H and G.I Combat get ongoing books and SHAZAM does not. don`t get me wrong i enjoy those books too but IMO Shazam is one of the heroes that really deserves an ongoing. Like many other I hope that they don't go the Captain planet route but other then that i like the fact that Billy is acting like a brat but he has golden heart, and the redesign seem awesome

yeah. I think its great and they should definitely give him a solo book. Also give cyborg a solo book as well.

#30 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

So, lets say that DC decides to have Shazam be a typical anime Pervy-sage & every issue lifts up Mary Marvel's skirt to see her Panties, or fondles her huge breasts after she powers up from flat-chested Mary.

Or Mary gets raped every night by the step-father who gets lucky to adopt her.

But hey, its time for a new change up for the franchise. One that kicked our asses in sales back in the day, but we know better how to use it. Then again, their last reboot of the Marvel family, with Mary going evil, & Freddy getting the powers, the gods just being magical things with the same names, yeah that was awesome. Change is good. No. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@COBRAMORPH: ............
#32 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@COBRAMORPH said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

So, lets say that DC decides to have Shazam be a typical anime Pervy-sage & every issue lifts up Mary Marvel's skirt to see her Panties, or fondles her huge breasts after she powers up from flat-chested Mary.

Or Mary gets raped every night by the step-father who gets lucky to adopt her.

But hey, its time for a new change up for the franchise. One that kicked our asses in sales back in the day, but we know better how to use it. Then again, their last reboot of the Marvel family, with Mary going evil, & Freddy getting the powers, the gods just being magical things with the same names, yeah that was awesome. Change is good. No. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

LoL that was pretty funny post.

#33 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

johns destroyed captain mar.....urr....shazam

#34 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

I think, instead of having Batman, Superman & Wonder woman exist on earth-2, only to get killed off or whatever, they should move some of the characters who were kinda redundant over there as their own Earth-2 trinity.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.