Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Is Shazam now getting respect from DC?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Since Johns took over most of the New-52, I feel he is - judging from John's interviews, he is a big fan. I feel the storytelling has been really great, because most of the pre-Flashpoint stuff was pale.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@frozen: I feel like if he really did have confidence in Billy, he would have kept the name. Johns is making a good story, and is really good at creating rules for characters, but he's really really missing what makes Billy a unique and interesting character.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

It's Johns.

He takes 'secondary' characters and makes them awesome.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@captainmarvel4ever: Keeping the name really had nothing to do with Johns, DC just decided to end the battle with Marvel over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@jonny_anonymous:

I actually dont mind the name. It seems unique. I kind wonder what is going to Mary and Fred´s allias.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

My first instinct was to say no because he doesn't have a series, however he hasn't really had a series in a long time. With that in mind I would still say no, but he is certainly getting more respect than he used to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: Why not? Why only the "main characters" must always shine? "Secondary" characters have have untap potencial and due not all mighty powerful skillset make them interesting characters.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By sinestro_GL

@vitalius said:

@sinestro_gl: Why not? Why only the "main characters" must always shine? "Secondary" characters have have untap potencial and due not all mighty powerful skillset make them interesting characters.

I have a feeling that we're agreeing with each other...but the first two words in your post confuses me...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: The first questions were just rhetorical questions. As reader, i like see and read characters and concepts that others often dont pick. The fact that some good writers like Jeff Lemire, Gail Simone and Geoff Johns do something like that, it makes me a happy reader.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..I think he has got more respect, but needs more, like his own comic book series....I would def subscribe to that. The Geoff Johns book was excellent and got me into the character for the first time ever. I also prefer the name Shazam to cap Marvel, which is a heresy for some I know.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@papinacho: @bezza: Johns actually said he wants DC fans to email and tweet him asking for a Shazam series because he really wants that.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Shazam has only really been in two arcs that I can recall. His own origin back up story and Trinity War. Somewhat Forever Evil in that one JLA issue. So, no he isn't being treated well. For a character Johns has been promising will join the JL and BFF Cyborg for two years and we've yet to see much of anything from him.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

I will have to get onto that then! A Shazam series would be great, in the post Harry Potter era, Shazam could be a really popular character!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@arturocalakayvee: Johns is inconsistent with his writing. He wrote Black Adam to lose to Ultraman but also wrote him to one-shot Power Girl and Jay Garrick. In regards to Shazam, I feel that his origin was simply great storytelling. By contrast, some other characters with more showings have terrible stories.

Though Johns also wrote 'Mazahs' - who the Crime Syndicate are afraid of.

No Caption Provided

@bezza said:

@frozen:

I will have to get onto that then! A Shazam series would be great, in the post Harry Potter era, Shazam could be a really popular character!

His lack of appearances is irritating me. IIRC his next appearance is in May, unless he's popping up in some other story?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

I tweeted Geoff Johns....

..but where is Shazam, I was really hoping he would get a comic this April. I mean Sinestro has got one..

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frozen  Moderator

@bezza said:

@frozen:

I tweeted Geoff Johns....

..but where is Shazam, I was really hoping he would get a comic this April. I mean Sinestro has got one..

So did I. I believe his next appearance is May 21st?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

In the new JL arc presumably?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 frozen  Moderator

@bezza said:

@frozen:

In the new JL arc presumably?

In Justice League #30 and #31 (come out on the same day I believe), Justice League of America #14 and then there's Black Adam and the Earth 3 Shazam in Forever Evil #7.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matchesmalone21: @frozen: am questioning his immunity, should he have been infected by the amazo virus, when he is a being of pure magic, superman is an alien i get, diana is a demi goddess, but shazam is a being of pure magic, he should be immune to mortal diseases like diana was and superman was(because of alien origin). Any thoughts on this, as i feel this is a disrespect on shazam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@matchesmalone21: @frozen: am questioning his immunity, should he have been infected by the amazo virus, when he is a being of pure magic, superman is an alien i get, diana is a demi goddess, but shazam is a being of pure magic, he should be immune to mortal diseases like diana was and superman was(because of alien origin). Any thoughts on this, as i feel this is a disrespect on shazam.

Shazam is poowered by magic (he's not of pure magic) but inside is still human and Amazo Virus works both on human and metahumans. He's not a homo magus like Zatanna

whiz17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is getting more face time,but I feel they are really falling short of just how powerful he is

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xargo

not in the movies thats for damn sure

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.