Geoff Johns looks for new magic in Captain Marvel

#1 Edited by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Sits down, gets drink in hand and begins to read

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, found it interesting myself and made me even more excited.
BB

#4 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns:

Billy is trouble, but trouble in a way that I think we’ll find understandable, relatable and fun. He has a heart, a big one, but he also has a protective shell around it. He’s mischievous, independent and strong. He’s conflicted, tough and sad. And many other things. For us, Billy had to be as complex and as interesting as his alter ego.

I called that. I said somewhere when everyone was complaining about him being a d!ck that they were probably going for the type of person who would be in his situation. Trying to protect oneself. He's sad now, but he gains the power of Shazam he'll be a lot more happier.

HC:

When I was a kid I always wondered why Captain Marvel would turn back into Billy. Is that one of the challenges you see in the mythology? (And if not, what are?)

I remember Paul Dini and Alex Ross thinking the same thing when doing Power of Hope. I believe they had a problem that Cap' couldn't solve involving a kid in a wheelchair.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing more. I'm definitely loving the whole magic side. I just hope we get to see Billy use it.

#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely he will use magic and hopefully Johns doesn't screw us over like he did with some other characters >___>
BB

#6 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good with some characters. It's when people bring up Hal. Everyone goes straight to Hal. He did amazing in Justice Society of America with all the characters involved there. He handles his villains mostly well. Black Adam, Sinestro etc. I thought Billy in JSA was good also. When know Stargirl is based on Johns' deceased sister. During his JSA run it looked like Stargirl and Billy would hook up. There is no way you'd want her to be with anyone else really. So that's one of the reasons why I trust Johns with Billy.

I'd love Grant to write him, but that's wishful thinking. :D

#7 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

Is he going to have a solo serie or something else.

#8 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876: I believe they're testing the waters. If this gets good praises, I do think we will see a mini series or even a ongoing.

#9 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

Bah, Grant hasn't written anything with Billy besides some JLA stuff and he could it make it annoyingly convoluted, blah :p

@Loki9876 said:

Is he going to have a solo serie or something else.

currently he's just been in one JL back up preview.
BB

#10 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: ah because they are talking about all the things they want to do and it looks to much to fit it all in 1 story.

#11 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Bah, Grant hasn't written anything with Billy besides some JLA stuff and he could it make it annoyingly convoluted, blah :p

He was awesome in JLA. Did you not read Superman: Beyond? The Final Crisis one. Not the sh!tty one. Billy was awesome in that just as well as Cap'. I love his convoluted ways.

#12 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876: Yeah, what BB said. He'll be in the back up of JL. If his section goes well, we should see more.

#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

So I'm confused. Is his name "Shazam" or is that just the name of the book and he's still "Captain Marvel"? Or did they go with "Captain Thunder" from Flashpoint?

#14 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: His name will be Shazam. I don't think you'll hear that name again. I'm interested in what Mary will be called if she gains the power also. The way Johns has said the power is choosing someone, which eventually it'll be Billy. Mary gaining the power also may take away from the fact that Billy was chosen.

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said:

@Billy Batson said:

He was awesome in JLA. Did you not read Superman: Beyond? The Final Crisis one. Not the sh!tty one. Billy was awesome in that just as well as Cap'. I love his convoluted ways.

You lost me at Final Crisis.
BB

#16 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Go read it NOW! Also, you'll need 3-D glasses if they do not have any on the cover.

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel:

Pfft I'm not gong to read some gimmick book so I could understand some event better :p
BB

#18 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: I read it because of this. Grant Morrison, Superman and Captain Marvel. In my eyes that is perfection.

#19 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

This surprisingly sounds pretty good.

#20 Posted by sinestro_GL (3143 posts) - - Show Bio

Hooray for Captain Marvel!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.