Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2491 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Captain Marvel's continuity

Shazam87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shazam87

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask a little question about the character's continuity. I'm not that familiar with the new 52 reboot, I only started to read this character two or three months ago, but it really caught my attention basically because I grew up with the strong idea that a superhero should be good, should never kill and should always make the right decision, characteristics really hard to find on superheroes these days. I hate bad**s characters, and I've always searched for the pure good unaltered superhero, and I think CM embodies these characteristics: as far as I know he never killed anyone and he has always had a positive personality (until recently...but I can't say I don't understand Geoff's take on the character). Basically I'm really starting to like him more than my longtime beloved character, Spider-man. That being said, I really have difficulties understanding the character's continuity (there are definetly too much origin stories!!!!!, as I'm not that familiar with the whole new 52 concept, even though i tried so much to understand it via forums or wikipedia...I hope someone can enlighten me

- Which is DC's Shazam official origin story? (read on wikipedia it's Power of Shazam! - is it correct?)

- Does Fawcett Comics' continuity (so Whiz comics...Marvel family...) still count?

- Has the new 52 reboot cancelled everything about the character (so is it the official starting point for reading it)?

- And last...which is Black Adam's original story? Is Marvel Family #1 still in continuity or is it Power of Shazam/or New 52 back story?

Thanks a lot :)

Blackstripe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All you need to know about the post-Flashpoint/New 52 Shazam can be read in Justice League. It contains his origins.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam87: @blackstripe: actually there releasing a trade for his new origin story I'm just not sure when...

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@shazam87: its a brand new take on it , im a captain marvel fan and as such i do not like the N52 billy batson , but they somewhat upgraded captain(SHAZAM!) marvel a bit , i really liked him during trinity war, also good to know there is another captain marvel fan ;)

Shazam87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you so much for the answers! So basically the new 52 version erased much of CM's continuity...I'm still reading Orway's take on the character and I really enjoy it. I'm also catching up with old Fawcett stories, I really like the style which kinda reminds me of Tintin but I'm glad they probably don't count anymore...they're kinda goofy. Can I also ask you another question? I'm Italian, but I only read comics in english. I was reading POS #4 and on the readers column they mentioned the time CM was eclipsoed. I really don't recall it. Does anyone remember the comic in which it happened? Also, in POS#6 Billy tells Mary that in his first time out he "put a couple of crooks in traction"...I have some difficulties understanding the meaning. Can someone help me? Thanks :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.