Captain Marvel Joins DC's 'The New 52'

• 113 results
Posted by G-Man (30221 posts) - - Show Bio

"SHAZAM!!"

You know what that means. DC announced at New York Comic Con that Captain Marvel is coming (back) to DC Comics. Wait until you hear who the creative team is: Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. Think about that for a second and let it sink in.

THE CURSE OF SHAZAM will be told as back up features in JUSTICE LEAGUE, still written by Johns. The Source didn't offer more details as to how Captain Marvel will be portrayed as it's still in the early stages and no official word on when the first story will appear.

Either way, this is great news.

Staff
#1 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

not freaking jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohns

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32069 posts) - - Show Bio

Yassss I love this news

#3 Posted by Lexino (45 posts) - - Show Bio

SHAZAM!

#4 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about time. :-)

#5 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel. Geoff Johns. Gary Frank. Unbelievable excitement, yes.

Backup for Justice League? Darn. Wish it was a separate title, both for the sake of Shazam and Justice League. We'll see how this plays.

But overal, YES!

SHAZAM!

#6 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lexino said:

SHAZAM!

#7 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a feeling his return would be in a existing book and Justice League itself would most likely be it. I am glad he will be in use again hopefully he has better days ahead of him.

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9449 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Mary is back as well

#9 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@NyxEquitis said:

@Lexino said:

SHAZAM!

#10 Posted by Ms. Omega (4366 posts) - - Show Bio

HECK YEA!!!!

#11 Posted by NightFang (9811 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how much C.M. will be changed.

#12 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

I wonder how much C.M. will be changed.

most importantly his costume

#13 Posted by Dernman (14606 posts) - - Show Bio

I like CM but he should be on Earth Two not Earth 0. How many Superman type characters do do we have now?

#14 Edited by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!!! So pumped!

#15 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic news!

#16 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I like CM but he should be on Earth Two not Earth 0. How many Superman type characters do do we have now?

It's not a bad thing if they appear in different books.

#17 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12398 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be interesting

#18 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2219 posts) - - Show Bio
Superman: Secret Origin #4, by Gary Frank.

GARY FRANK, GEOFF JOHNS, and CAPTAIN MARVEL?! That is an awesome combination I wish it had its own book, guess I am glad its going to be a back up to a book I am already getting, but this news makes me so happy. I love Captain Marvel, love Gary Frank's art, and am a fan of Johns' stuff. Glad he is now part of the New 52.

I CAN'T wait to see some art!

#19 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

Freakin finally jeez

#20 Posted by Bestostero (5616 posts) - - Show Bio

Great!!! Hopefully that means the rest of the Shazam family will be included too.

#21 Posted by Dernman (14606 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope at least it's a rebooted CM.

#22 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yah

#23 Posted by cincyducksfan35 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Back up feature ew... Cant my Justice League book just be all.... Justice League?

#24 Posted by Maki_P (275 posts) - - Show Bio

The "Curse of Shazam"? I don't like this. I mean, I really like the Marvel Family to go back to the DCU, but what kind of story is going to be with that name? And Johns? Don't get me wrong, he is a good writer, he's just a little bit too in love with the Silver Age

#25 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh hell yes. FINALLY!

#26 Posted by LordTaronji101 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

took them long enough

#27 Posted by Izaiah (5166 posts) - - Show Bio

I am slightly worried about this...

#28 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio

ME GUSTA.

Knew this was coming, but it's still great to see the official announcement.

#29 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

So wait... we get a new CAPTAIN MARVEL book AND A NEW STORY-ARC ("The Curse of SHAZAM") WITHIN JUSTICE LEAGUE? Sounds great!

Geoff Johns knows how to make his books shine like the silver from the SILVER AGE.

#30 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured he'd be in Earth 2 with Justice Society. This is good news, now where's Black Adam???

#31 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to see Captain Marvel back, but does Johns really have to reboot everything? C'mon, DC, you must have other writers somewhere in that rolodex. Hell, I'm pretty sure Roy Thomas would write it for free. I would pay you five grand a year to do it. Just lay off of Johns for a month. It's lazy and boring.

#32 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3453 posts) - - Show Bio

"There. That'll get you to quit your b**chin'."
                                                  -DC

#33 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12398 posts) - - Show Bio

@goldenkey said:

I figured he'd be in Earth 2 with Justice Society. This is good news, now where's Black Adam???

he might still be. just because they're in the same book doesn't mean that they're in the same universe

#34 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio

This might actually make me pick-up Justice League

which issue will this back-up segment start?

#35 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

Good to see Captain Marvel back, but does Johns really have to reboot everything? C'mon, DC, you must have other writers somewhere in that rolodex. Hell, I'm pretty sure Roy Thomas would write it for free. I would pay you five grand a year to do it. Just lay off of Johns for a month. It's lazy and boring.

technically Johns only rebooted Justice League. Aquaman (the only other title that he's working on) is a continuation of Aquaman from brightest day.

#36 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_psycho said:

@NyxEquitis said:

@Lexino said:

SHAZAM!

#37 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

technically Johns only rebooted Justice League. Aquaman (the only other title that he's working on) is a continuation of Aquaman from brightest day.

In the new 52, you're correct. HOWEVER, keep in mind Geoff was the one who brought both Hal Jordan and Barry Allen back from the dead and he was asked to write Superman: Secret Origin before the DCnU. That's why I'm counting this as, at least, his sixth reboot.

#38 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12398 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

In the new 52, you're correct. HOWEVER, keep in mind Geoff was the one who brought both Hal Jordan and Barry Allen back from the dead and he was asked to write Superman: Secret Origin before the DCnU. That's why I'm counting this as, at least, his sixth reboot.

bringing people back from the dead isn't rebooting though.....neither is altering an origin. rebooting is completely erasing something and beginning from scratch.

#39 Edited by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I was unfortunate enough to start reading Captain Marvel during the whole Mary Marvel powered by Darkseid stuff. In other words I picked the worst time to start reading Cap Marvel. I've always liked the idea Captain Marvel(Maybe that's why a I like Superior so much) so hopefully this will give me a better introduction to the character.

#40 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

All right.

#41 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
You know what that means. DC announced at New York Comic Con that Captain Marvel is coming (back) to DC Comics. Wait until you hear who the creative team is: Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. Think about that for a second and let it sink in.

Why is that the very mention of Geoff Johns gets people so excited ?

I guess modern comic-book readers enjoy bathtub writing.

#42 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

bringing people back from the dead isn't rebooting though.....neither is altering an origin. rebooting is completely erasing something and beginning from scratch.

Semantics. Before Johns, the Green Lantern and Flash titles followed different characters and had different tones. After Johns you have completely new comics that return to you classic characters. To me, that's a reboot rather than following what had been there previously.

#43 Posted by Oedipus_Rex (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Will this story be taking place on New Earth or on Earth S(or 5, i guess)? That's the real question that needs to be answered.

#44 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Disagree.

#45 Posted by pikahyper (11356 posts) - - Show Bio

eh kinda underwhelming.

#46 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

This news....does not suck. The more emphasis placed on non-Trinity characters...the better!

#47 Posted by SmoothJammin (2331 posts) - - Show Bio

3 way dance between shazam supes and apollo

#48 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good. Now they still need to bring back some of the other characters that they left out

#49 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

best news I've heard yet from DC, so awesome :)

#50 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ms. Omega said:

HECK YEA!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.