Captain Marvel: DC Reboot.

#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

What's happening to him?

#2 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

My bet, erased from existence.  That includes his family.  

#3 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
^. 
And sadly I think Black Adam is gone with him.
#4 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz:  Nah, DC loves throwing Black Adam and his family (whom, I may add, are Marvel Family villains) into random stories.  WW3 was all about Black Adam.  They love pumping that family into new heights, yet when it comes to the Marvel Family, they like to rub them out into oblivion - all the while disrespecting them beyond belief.
#5 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because it doesn't look like he'll have a book doesn't mean he won't exist. He'll probably be in the background there somewhere.

#6 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC:  With how DC hates Captain Marvel, I highly doubt that.
#7 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: It's not that bad to say he'll be the same. But the reason why sales are low is because DC have to put Shazam on front of every cover.
#8 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23:  By same, do you mean depowered and useless?  Or do you mean Flashpoint Captain Marvel, the Voltron rip?
#9 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@comicdude23:  By same, do you mean depowered and useless?  Or do you mean Flashpoint Captain Marvel, the Voltron rip?
My guess is, Billy somehow returns to normal without any explanation, and it stops there. Though I'd want more.
#10 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@comicdude23 said:
What's happening to him?
@Kallarkz said:
@Amegashita said:
^. 
And sadly I think Black Adam is gone with him.
Nope. I assume hes going to be somehow piled up with the JSA or hell get a book at another time, like the JSA. Dan Didio has said that there just isnt room for what they are trying to do for those titles at the moment.
#11 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they bring back the Marvel Family but I agree with Amegashita DC never liked the Marvel family to begin with. They'll use his name to make money with but never will they try to make a series that might out sell a superman series.

#12 Posted by jec777 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

i would love to see a cap series done on the same lines as walt simonsons thor series.  do something more mythalogical.  instead of banging heads use his godly given smarts, strength, speed and powers to win the day.  make him a man when he is cap.  billy should be a upper teenager by now anyway.  stop acting like the little kid.  i know have cap stand face to face with darkseid and not back down an inch.  show his power, not his childness.
#13 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@jec777 said:

i would love to see a cap series done on the same lines as walt simonsons thor series. do something more mythalogical. instead of banging heads use his godly given smarts, strength, speed and powers to win the day. make him a man when he is cap. billy should be a upper teenager by now anyway. stop acting like the little kid. i know have cap stand face to face with darkseid and not back down an inch. show his power, not his childness.

Aye, verily.

#14 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777: I dunno, I kinda like the 'friendly family' dynamic they had going with Billy, Freddy, and Mary. That being said, I agree that they need to show off his strength a lot more, he's an underrated power house. He could fill a unique niche of being the heavy hitter who fights the supernatural, as opposed to galactic threats (e.g. Green Lantern) or street-level threats (e.g. Batman). I mean this is a general sense, of course.

Heck, DC is getting a Supernatural line this September, he wouldn't be hard to fit. Since DC are trying to be more "90's Image-style edgy", I could imagine them bringing back enemies like Sabbac for Capt. Marvel to beat down...as long as they don't make Billy grittier, I'd be happy.
#15 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@PrinceIMC:  With how DC hates Captain Marvel, I highly doubt that.
Yeah, because he is a huge threat to Superman. 
#16 Posted by HalfGod (27 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777 said:
i would love to see a cap series done on the same lines as walt simonsons thor series.  do something more mythalogical.  instead of banging heads use his godly given smarts, strength, speed and powers to win the day.  make him a man when he is cap.  billy should be a upper teenager by now anyway.  stop acting like the little kid.  i know have cap stand face to face with darkseid and not back down an inch.  show his power, not his childness.
I agree, Captain Marvel is a character I could really see myself getting into
#17 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@jec777 said:
  I agree with most of this, but I have a few disagreements.  One, Billy should actually be an adult by now, he should be the same age as Dick Grayson in fact.  Also, Billy's child persona is a great reflection for him, it holds his morals straight, because Billy is a character based on believing in the good of all people.  
#18 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
You mean the Captain Planet rip?
#19 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kal'smahboi:  That's a better analogy actually.
#20 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns loves the marvel family, there is no way he is going away. In fact i can almost guarantee that after Flashpoint we'll see not only Billy back but all of the SHAZAM Agents. 

That they don't have a comic in september doesn't mean they aren't there. DC has already announced that Robinson, Conner and Scott have upcoming powers, my greatest adventure is supposed to be relaunched in october, giffen said he is writing two new upcoming projects and there was announcements for a future Batman beyond, superman beyond and justice league beyond series. 

#21 Posted by jec777 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

as far as billy keeping his morals in check thats all good, but cap himself need to react more like a grown-up to get any real serious credit.  he can act older and still have morals.  look at superman, spiderman, wolver.. ok skip the last one.  it could be done.
#22 Posted by Coluber (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I've read that they might change Captain Marvel's name to Captain Thunder (which was supposed to be his original name anyway). I was dissapointed when I found out that DC would rather release one hundred Batman titles plus an OMAC title instead of Captain Marvel. I would like to clarify something, thoough, people tend to think that Captain Marvel's adventures are just for kids. The ones that I have read were pretty serious (as far as comic books were concerned); but Captain Marvel does offer an opportunity for DC to publish good adventure stories for people of all ages, and I do hope the relaunch (or reboot) doesn't mess him up too much. 
For some reason though, I do think they'll be bringing Mary Marvel back, but the pessimist in me says that it wouldn't be for the right reasons.
#23 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:

IM sure itll be answered at Comic-Con
#24 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

:(

#25 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
@Amegashita said:
IM sure itll be answered at Comic-Con
eh..hopefully. Never too optimistic when it comes to Captain Marvel though..hes a great character but DC just doesn't want to throw him a decent bone
#26 Edited by The Stegman (25506 posts) - - Show Bio

the Marvel family has a LARGE fan base and Dc knows it, so i doubt they will get rid of them, however they also can't keep an ongoing series and Dc knows this too, so i doubt they will get a title, my guess is they  might appear later in "justice League Dark" or maybe have a story arc in "Dc universe presents"

#27 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe..DC should sell CM and Supes to Dynamite to be with Alex Ross.

#28 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
Nope. I assume hes going to be somehow piled up with the JSA or hell get a book at another time, like the JSA. Dan Didio has said that there just isnt room for what they are trying to do for those titles at the moment.
Yet there's room for OMAC, Legion Of Superheroes, Legion Lost, I Vampire books, all of which are going to bomb.

I gotta be honest, I'm not a fan of Captain Marvel, but if handled adequately he can work, the idea of a young person uttering a word and becoming a superhero has to count for something.
#29 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that DC's new line up is more a market test than the actual line up.  There will be titles coming and going.  And we will see characters popping in other titles, allready Rose (ravager) is known to be superboys handler, Huntress will eventually end up in BoP; many characters will be appearing as part of the 52 and spinning out of them.  When it comes to the Marvel family it is true that DC comics have not found the right formula to actually sale SHAZAM.  But Captain Marvel is one of the most iconic heroes in the DC universe.  He had an old live action tv series as Captain Marvel and Shazam, even a cartoon series...I doubt that DC will leave Captain Marvel behind.....It is quite clear that the power of Shazam should be DC/WB next live action film. With the DCnU there is a unique opportunity to make things right for the Marvel Family.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.