Billy Batson should be Captain Marvel again

#1 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel is an underused, underrated character that not many people care about nowadays. CM was once one of the most popular supeheroes in the 1940s but now, he doesn't even have his own series. In my opinion, it was a poor decision to change Captain Marvel from Billy Batson to Freddy Freeman. DC should do something to retcon this. CM isn't my favourite superhero but I do think DC needs to make Billy Batson Captain Marvel once again somehow as they are neglecting him. Freddy can stay CM but I want to see Billy with powers again and in his own series. So what do you think?

#2 Posted by Final X (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I say that the whole Marvel Family needs a new ongoing, or at least a mini, lets see Black Adams quest for redemption and vengenance, Osiris coming to grips with the world, Freddy and Shazam in combat over the power of the gods. . . The possibilities are endless.

#3 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind who Captain Marvel is. I just wish they would do more with characters that have so much potential.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final X said:
" I say that the whole Marvel Family needs a new ongoing, or at least a mini, lets see Black Adams quest for redemption and vengenance, Osiris coming to grips with the world, Freddy and Shazam in combat over the power of the gods. . . The possibilities are endless. "
I completely agree. That would be a great direction for the Marvel family that could culminate in the return of the original Marvel family.

@Dane:  Definitely. DC seem to be focusing more on Batman and Green Lantern these days, neglecting characters like Captain Marvel that can appeal to a wide audience.
#5 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see a new on-going Captain Marvel book.
I like the younger book and funny take on it, Billy Batson & the magic of shazam, but a "bigger" book focused on the Captain Marvel as part of the DCU would be great!

#6 Posted by EudesFernandes (11 posts) - - Show Bio

i think in the new series billy should be a teenager  if freddy is college now,they should bring him back like they did with hal jordan by the way one of my favorite of his appearance was in the limited series justice 

#7 Posted by Daredevilwithoutfear (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see a "Reboot" of bringing Billy Batson into the DCU  as Captain Marvel again with the whole Marvel family as well too

#8 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio
@Eyz:  Yeah I agree. Although CM is mostly appealing to a young audience, I can see plenty of use for him in the modern DCU

@Daredevilwithoutfear: That is a good idea. Scrap the whole Freddy Freeman/Shazam thing and bring back the true Captain Marvel period!

@EudesFernandes:  Justice was one of my fave appearences of CM as well. They established him as a hero on par with Superman and Wonder Woman as they consulted him for help.
#9 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see both a Shazam book for the kids (well, like currently) and another one for older fans, in the DCU.
I for one always loved the character and am 24, so..
He's like a fun bright magic take on Superman!

Hum.. should Billy be around Dick Grayson's age nowadays? :/
I was just thinking about it...

#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure that Morrison is going to release a new Marvels based book soon called Marvelverse or something...

Quick CM question; when Billy yells Shazam! does he change places with Cap or does he become Cap? So are their personalities different or something else? Can someone explain it to me, please? :)

#11 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  When Billy shouts Shazam, he becomes Captain Marvel. In the modern age of comics, writers chose for CM to retain his Billy Batson childlike personality instead of that of an adult which in my opinion makes for a better read. The book you're thinking of is Multiversity a series based on the multiverse I believe.
#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger: Great, thank you =]
#13 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio

You're welcome :)

#14 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel are my two favorite super-powered heroes and I agree that they should get more respect that they do.  I do think it has to do with Captain Marvel being equal to Superman, focus on the Captain and you run the risk of Supes getting down played.  More importantly though Judd Winick should never come near the Marvel family ever again.  Don't touch my favorite super-powered family!!!

#15 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita:  What exactly did Judd Winick do that ruined the Marvel Family?
#16 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger:  You mean besides the idiotic thought that, "Captain Marvel should be fighting cosmic forces, not fighting for normal people."  Captain Marvel is my favorite hero because he is a real hero, and Judd Winick tried to take the hero out of the Captain.  Not only that but also having Billy "abandon"  Mary, which is something Billy would never, ever do.

That's unforgivable. 
#17 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita:  I see what you mean and I completely agree. I remember that Trial of Shazam mini series. Bad writing on Winnick's part. Hopefully, DC will someday retcon this and return Billy Batson as CM. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if they weren't tactful about the retcon just so long as they got it done.
#18 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger:  They probably won't, DC has always had this thing about Captain Marvel.  I want my Marvel Family back.  Now.  I also want a restraining order on Judd Winick to stay away from the Marvel Family forever.
#19 Posted by Lvenger (19996 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita:  LOL it'd be funny if you could actually get a restraining order on a comic bokk. That's something that's never happened before.
#20 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger:  I'll make it happen because in order to save the Marvel Family, it must happen.
#21 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both Captain Marvels, and I wouldn't mind if Billy got the role again, but I think Billy's flaw as CM is he can't have a classic Hollywood love interest.
If you give him an adult, that's creepy bc he's a kid. If you give him soeone young, CM looks like a pedo. Freddy doesn't have that problem, so he can do this:

But both Billy and Freddy are cool in their own way.
I especially like the story of how Freddy became the new Captain Marvel.
#22 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13:  Billy is a teenager right?  Then it's fine.  Captain Marvel is a magical being whose alter ego is a kid.  I mean no evil villain has yet discovered his identity and the only person I know who did was Tim Drake and he's no villain. 
#23 Edited by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:

" @Captain13:  Billy is a teenager right?  Then it's fine.  Captain Marvel is a magical being whose alter ego is a kid.  I mean no evil villain has yet discovered his identity and the only person I know who did was Tim Drake and he's no villain.  "

The last story I read with Billy in it was when he became Shazam. He still looked somewhere between 10-14. He has the best SI IMO, but romances with him are always weird for me. Stilllllllllll, I would love more Billy stories. =)
#24 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13:  Last time I read he was in high school with Mary?  Wait, no.  I don't think they've ever verified anything about Billy, Mary, and possibly Freddy's personal life beyond what we've seen.  In countdown Mary had a apartment and in, I think, in JSA volume 2 #75 it shows Billy in high school, maybe middle school with Mary.

More importantly though, before we even get more Billy stories I want their powers back.  Secondly, I don't want Captain Marvel becoming Lord Marvel, and I definitely don't want him to be abandoning his sister because that should never happen.  After that, I want some writers who actually no a thing or two (preferably two) about Billy Batson.  But, that's likely not going to happen, outside of Paul Dini, Alex Ross (I love his Shazam! art work and he already said Captain Marvel is his favorite hero), and the writers of the Justice mini series, not a lot of people can actually portray Billy the way he should be.  Billy is the pure hearted kid, chosen to be Captain Marvel because he had probably the purest heart in the world.  The guy see's his fair share of death and gets his fair share of beatings but he never loses that sparkle... until Widdick came along.

Really don't want him anywhere near the Marvel Family ever again.  Stick with screwing over one character, who I do like but not as much as Billy and Mary.
#25 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @Captain13:  Last time I read he was in high school with Mary?  Wait, no.  I don't think they've ever verified anything about Billy, Mary, and possibly Freddy's personal life beyond what we've seen.  In countdown Mary had a apartment and in, I think, in JSA volume 2 #75 it shows Billy in high school, maybe middle school with Mary.

More importantly though, before we even get more Billy stories I want their powers back.  Secondly, I don't want Captain Marvel becoming Lord Marvel, and I definitely don't want him to be abandoning his sister because that should never happen.  After that, I want some writers who actually no a thing or two (preferably two) about Billy Batson.  But, that's likely not going to happen, outside of Paul Dini, Alex Ross (I love his Shazam! art work and he already said Captain Marvel is his favorite hero), and the writers of the Justice mini series, not a lot of people can actually portray Billy the way he should be.  Billy is the pure hearted kid, chosen to be Captain Marvel because he had probably the purest heart in the world.  The guy see's his fair share of death and gets his fair share of beatings but he never loses that sparkle... until Widdick came along.    Really don't want him anywhere near the Marvel Family ever again.  Stick with screwing over one character, who I do like but not as much as Billy and Mary. "
Good points. I think Billy will return to the identity anyway. That's how comics work. lol
#26 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13:  I think so too.  I made a few non-conspiracy conspiracy theories and one of them is that Billy and Mary will get their powers back because in Red Robin 14 it shows their pictures on Tim's "Hit List".  And going just by that, they will get their powers back, hopefully before I die of old age.  Also, Freddy shouldn't be Captain Marvel.  Really, why is DC making legacy characters out of every single superhero.  I can understand Batman and Superman because they are symbols and they are both pretty darn oldBut Billy isn't even in his 20's (supposedly) so he has about 30 years or so before we can even think about making the kid retire the mantle.  Really, such an idiotic decision.  Heck, I hated when Freddy was Captain Marvel Jr.  No!  He's Freddy Freeman, get a new name.  If Billy wouldn't even let his sister share the name of Captain Marvel why would he let Freddy?   

If I sound angry, it's just because the Marvel Family are full of all my favorite super powered superheroes and I hate how they've been treated recently.
#27 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Yeah, the Marvels should play a bigger role in DC, especially after DC raped Fawcett Comics...

But both Marvel and DC seem to forget about the magic parts of their universes. I'd love to see a magic crossover focusing on Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Dr. Fate, and Zatanna.
#28 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13:  They should, but they won't.  They won't because The Marvel Family isn't even a creation of DC.  It's Fawcett comics and the only reason they're with DC today is because Captain Marvel out sold Superman in the 1940's and DC as a business did the most logical, American, decision.  They sued

I'll have to correct you on the magic characters part.  They do at times forget about them but they give them their lime light.  Like stuffing Wonder Woman down our throats even though they refuse to give her better writers, and Aquaman in Brightest Day.  Dr. Fate in Countdown to Mystery and the JSA, and Zatanna has her own solo series.  They won't give Captain Marvel his due respect because he was the one person to truly beat out Superman that wasn't from their company and the fact that they didn't create him. 

Heck, in the old JLA series they made Billy the "Super-Nazi!"  WHAT!!!??  SUPER-NAZI!!!  *RAGE*  Not only that, but they even had Superman call the Captain a rip-off of himself.  Yes it was the Silver-Age, but that goes to show you how little respect they really had for the family and that disrespect does stem down today, just not as obvious.
#29 Posted by Preacherl2k (460 posts) - - Show Bio

SHAZAM One shot coming Jan 26, 2011

Blaze, the current ruler of Hell, has an offer for Mary and Billy Batson that may be too good to pass up! Left powerless, will the two former heroes have the strength to deny the devil? Can Freddy Freeman save them? And how does the Titan Osiris fit into it all? Find out here, in this one-shot special written by Eric Wallace (TITANS) with art by Cliff Richards (THE ROAD HOME: BATMAN & ROBIN #1)!

This is a travesty to an old fan like me- THERE IS ONLY 1 CAPTAIN MARVEL ( Billy Batson) PERIOD!

#30 Posted by PowerHerc (84035 posts) - - Show Bio
@Daredevilwithoutfear said:
"I would like to see a "Reboot" of bringing Billy Batson into the DCU  as Captain Marvel again with the whole Marvel family as well too "

Aye, verily!
#31 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

We don't need a reboot or anything like that. That's because Freddy isn't powered by the Wizard as seen in JSA with the return of Shazam. So all we need is for Shazam to re-capture the power from Freddy and then Billy goes through a set of trials (nothing like Trials of Shazam), just personal trials for the Wizard to give him the power back. That can be accomplished within the first few issues. Or at least point us in that direction. I'm hoping they do because am not buying a Shazam book if we don't see much of Billy and the Wizard. I don't like Freddy, so I'm not funding a character I dislike.

#32 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging from the Feb. Titan's solicit, it looks like Billy will be getting the shaft again with the Shazam one shot. I hope I'm wrong though, especially with the news of a Captain Marvel movie in the works. 

I don't want a reboot either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.