Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Billy Batson is kind of a jerk now (warning some spoilers)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I just finished reading "Justice League'' #7 and it was pretty mediocre, however that isn't what I'm writing about. If you have been reading the New 52 Justice League title, then you know that at the end of each issue, we get a sneak peek at different stories that might occur in the future. This week, we got a glimpse into the up and coming Captain Marvel/Shazam featured story. We saw a highly upset Wizard Shazam looking for his new avatar, we got a glimpse of a new (and really buff) Dr. Sivana, and his intentions and motivations for looking for "magic" and most importantly, we saw a very different Billy Batson. Now, the Billy we all know and love was kind, funny, nice, innocent to the point of being kind of naive, and happy go lucky. He comes across like this at first, but rapidly changes. The scene shows him in an interview with a foster couple looking to adopt. He acts well mannered, adorable, smart and kind and knock their socks off. However upon their departure, he insults and ridicules them, calling them idiots, and his social worker goes as far as to call him, "The most unpleasant boy she's ever had the unpleasure of knowing." He is then called "trouble" by the narraration. My question is, how do you feel about this drastic change in Billy Batson, is it DC's way of trying to update him to reflect how teenagers act these days? Will it affect his attitude as Shazam? What do you think??

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

It was unexpected but I'm going to hold back forming a solid opinion util further issues.

Also lots of kids in the system end up like that.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Maybe they're trying to show what a person may be in his situation. He may have gone from foster home to foster home. Dealing with people that came across nice and changed once they adopted a kid. This being his way of dealing with it. I'm not defending his actions, but I'll wait to see what happens in about five or six more issues.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm kinda curious if the other foster kids the family already has is going to be the other SHAZAM kids. I'm thinking Captain Thunder with six kids turning into a superhero might have been the test-run for the new SHAZAM idea.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By RedOwl_1

Meh, I'm not surprised they did so to Billy, but I understand why they did it, I mean some of us till they are raised in a good family are jerks so why you are surprised a orphan is that way? and also how many teenagers you know that are like pre-flashpoint Billy? I think there's nothing like that today.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#6  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

yeah, that was interesting...

oh, btw I thought for sure you were talking about Comic Vine's BB before I read the first post :P

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

Yeah, I was stunned when I saw the immense change in the character, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Avatar image for spiderman20991992
    spiderman20991992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By spiderman20991992

yeah, the might be making him seem like a jerk to give him room to change once he becomes captain marvel.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @aztek_the_lost: Sorry about that, I literally completely forgot to put it in his forum (I wrote this right after I read it) thanks for the move. 
    LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By LeaderVladimir

Well, according to DC Comics's official website, Billy is different from his pre-Flashpoint version, in the sense that he wants to be an adult as soon as possible. But when he becomes Shazam (Shazam, not Captain Marvel), he'll have to learn the meaning of family.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

So the character becomes the user. He's growing up :') JK I'm similar to both versions. But enough about us :p
    I'm not reading the series but I did see the "sneak peek". Since it's not the whole story, I'm just going to wait for more.
    And Supreme Marvel made a good point.
    Also:

@aztek_the_lost said:

Damn, I legitimately thought this was about the troll on the site and the forum seemed appropriate, but if it's about the character it should be in his forum.

lulz :D
    BB

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By HolySerpent

I was kinda suprise. I'll wait to I'll give my verdict

Metron144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Metron144

I'm glad that they made Billy into more of a realistic kid, but I just hope they tone down the little sh*t aspects of him when he transforms into Captain Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.