Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Awesome Toy Picks: Shazam and Freddy Freeman (Signature Collection)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a look at some cool comic book collectibles. This means taking them out of the package. This week we're going to look at two figures from Mattel - Shazam and Freddy Freeman.

No Caption Provided

Both of these come the MattyCollector Signature Collection. Shazam was sold through MattyCollector.com and was also made available at San Diego Comic-Con with a $25 price tag. Subscribers of Club Infinite Earths at MattyCollector also had the option of purchasing before it was opened to the public. So it's beneficial to be a member as Shazam is now sold out.

No Caption Provided

Even though Shazam is part of the Signature Collection, he was given some slight special treatment. With this being the New 52 version, even his box is a little shinier than the usual ones.

No Caption Provided

Like the other figures in the line, it has a good amount of articulation. My pet peeve with these is the stomach articulation but thankfully the Shazam emblem is allowed to hang over it a bit, making it less awkward looking.

In the New 52, Shazam's cape also has a hood. WIth the hood, you can't really move his head left or right but it was a nice touch to include that especially since most of the figures in this line have steered clear of the New 52 versions.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It's also nice to see that Shazam has a slightly beefy look to him. Some of the past figures have been a little slimmer sometimes.

The cape is a rubbery plastic. It's a longer version than what Shazam (Captain Marvel) used to have.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As for the hood, I have mixed feelings on it. It's great to see it included since this is the only New 52 version of Shazam we have. In order to properly accommodate his head, it is a little big. The good news is, it actually comes off! It's a separate piece that tucks away into the cape.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Freddy Freeman figure is a tiny bit smaller, which is a nice touch. This is obviously the pre-New 52 version.

No Caption Provided

Freddy was available online at MattyCollector.com. It sold for $20 and was the July selection of the Club Infinite Earths subscription. It is sold out, as the MattyCollector figures always do. That means you'll likely have to turn to eBay in order to get them.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Even though he is a little smaller, he still doesn't quite look quite like a kid. He definitely looks younger/smaller on the art on the back of the box. From certain angles, his face looks a little smooshed. You have to love the pre-New 52 look including the boots and half-cape.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Side by side you can see the difference. Shazam is about 6.75" while Freddy stands just under 6".

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

One thing you'll notice is in the New 52, they get fancier footwear.

No Caption Provided

If you're a big Shazam fan, you'll want to track these down. Hopefully you also saw our past look at the Kingdom Come version of Shazam (you can check out those pics HERE).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

That's it for this week. Let us know what you thought of these two figures, if you have them or plan to find them. We'll have another spotlight next time.

nrgb2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Not a fan of the hood...

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh man, I love the Shazam new 52 redesign! He looks so cool now and the hood actually accentuates his magic background. Its one of the best redesigns they did (I also like Supermans, Wonder Womans, Flashs and Red Hoods).

Avatar image for world_breaker_elmo
    World_Breaker_Elmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shallbecomeabattoo: As much as I like the classic Captain Marvel and Black Adam costumes I really like the New52 designs. The hood accentuating their magical natures is a great description.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can someone or ANYONE please reply to this!!! What is the possibility of a 6 inch, DC collectibles action figure of Shazam coming out like in 2014? Just like the New 52 Superman figure that came out for the DC collectibles line and the upcoming Black Adam figure releasing later this year. It'd be a nice addition to my collection ^_^

Thanks!!!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Removable hood scores points with me

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@world_breaker_elmo: Right? It just makes sense from that angle and also differentiates him more from looking like Superman. I reall like it. I hope they do great things with the character in the future.

thanobomb1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Removable hood scores points with me

AGGRE.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That's weird they just call Capt. Marvel Jr., Freddy. Guess they can't use that name anymore. If they bring him into the new 52 what will he be?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By longbowhunter
    kcvic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kcvic

Last few pics look like Shazam is teaching Freddy the Time Warp Dance

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

That's weird they just call Capt. Marvel Jr., Freddy. Guess they can't use that name anymore. If they bring him into the new 52 what will he be?

That's the big question with the whole Marvel Family, now that you've got five kids with Shazam powers instead of the usual extra two.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yokergeist

I wish they would sell these action figures in stores for 7 to 10 dollars like normal action figures. I don't think they are worth 20 dollars plus they are almost impossible to find online.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@longbowhunter said:

Shazam Jr?

He took the name King Shazam. Dont know if he'll stick with it but I like it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jldoom: Was that in the Shazam back up in Justice League?

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why couldn't they have made the capes (and the hood) a cloth? It be more realistic and a whole lot more better looking than the rubbery plastic. Anyone else think so?

Aside from that, the New 52 figures have been looking great! Love the detail they put into them.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mtrakos

really diggin the hood

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By JLDoom
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jldoom: I remember he was King Marvel in Kingdom Come

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
    DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really like the new 52 version of shazam, he's even my fav character to play in injustice, but with the hood on, he somehow reminds me of mrs. ingalls from the little house on the prairie.

Avatar image for world_breaker_elmo
    World_Breaker_Elmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I can hope for now for this character is that he does not get placed as another Superman-lite.

These toys really do look cool. Knowing me, the little kid inside would break the packaging just to play with them for a little while before realizing I just dropped their value considerably. Oh well.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why couldn't they have made the capes (and the hood) a cloth? It be more realistic and a whole lot more better looking than the rubbery plastic. Anyone else think so?

Aside from that, the New 52 figures have been looking great! Love the detail they put into them.

Because the price tag would have been higher.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looking nice with those two! I'd go for the Shazam more, but Freeman's got it going on too!

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I dig the Shazam figure.

druzod2501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You say Shazam's about 6.75"? I would love to see some comparisons with the DC Collectibles New 52 figures then

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very cool

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

my word...that hood?!

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shazam is still available here:

http://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=matty&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=1298800&Env=BASE&productID=285159500#.UgIr05IyZat

He was "sold out" in the subscriber pre-sale because Matty has a narrow window of sale time and then marks things as "sold out" for some reason. He's available to the general public now.

If you like these series you can subscribe now, the upcoming subscription features 90's Hook Aquaman and Pre New 52 Conner Superboy and Doomsday. The figures will only get made if enough subscriptions are sold, check out further details here:

http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/store/mattycol/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29372800/productID.282669000#.UgIsmJIyZas

You can see pics of prototypes of the figures if they get made here too:

http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=album&dispsize=800&sl=&album=2013_San_Diego_Comic_Con%2FMattel%2FDay_2_Booth&start=20

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

skipping this... FOR THIS!!!

I'm sure the head's just looking down and the hood can be adjusted with heat but HOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY SHEEEEETTTT. This and Black Adam will be enough figures =D

No Caption Provided

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By w0nd

should have made 2 heads one with the hood one without, the one with the head the hood could be sculpted on so it looks like a hood...that one looks like a plastic thing pretending to be a hood

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooo Ugly

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.