Follow

Billy Batson

Character » Billy Batson appears in 2499 issues.

The original Captain Marvel, deemed worthy of becoming the champion of the ancient Wizard Mamaragan, whenever he utters the word "Shazam", young Billy Batson is struck by a magical thunderbolt and gains vast divine powers and abilities, transforming him into Magic's Champion, the World's Mightiest Mortal, Shazam!

Are you okay with the name change?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kidchipotle

A few months ago, it was revealed that The Curse of Shazam will be featured in the back of JLA. However, it was also stated that good ol' Captain Marvel, after years of history, will be getting a name change to strictly, SHAZAM. But isn't this the name he has to shout when he wants to change forms? Or is he going to have a different shout word? I sure hope we don't have another CM3 moment where Captain Marvel can't say his own name. But I digress, are you okay with the slight change of name or do you think he should still be CM?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Shazam sounds too goofy. Captain Marvel is better. SO i do not support this.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#3  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

I see why they did it the change, but Billy has been known as CM since 1940...

I don't think they will be honoring Billy's time at Fawcett if they change that historical name. That being said, I do think changing the name will bring more evolution to the character (maybe a title...). Don't crusify me or anything, but in all truth after DC lost the rights to CM the name, they have not done much with the character. I think now that they have a character whose name is copyrighted they will be able to do so much more with this title.

Only time will tell of course...

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aronmorales

I think "Captain Marvel" has more "UUMPH!" to it than "SHAZAM" does, but hey? What can I do?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Joygirl

Shazam sounds sooo hokey... call him White Capelet Man or Ropey Beltington or Lightning Bolt Chest Fellow.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

@The Poet said:

I don't think they will be honoring Billy's time at Fawcett if they change that historical name. That being said, I do think changing the name will bring more evolution to the character (maybe a title...). Don't crusify me or anything, but in all truth after DC lost the rights to CM the name, they have not done much with the character. I think now that they have a character whose name is copyrighted they will be able to do so much more with this title.

When did DC lose rights to the CM name?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

I think it's a good decision. Shazam sounds awesome

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

They haven't used Captain Marvel name in a few years

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The Poet said:

When did DC lose rights to the CM name?

I'll try to make the explanation simple, but I doubt that will happen:

DC sued Fawcett (Billy's original publisher) because he was similar to Superman (don't argue, its what they said). The dispute was settled when it was decided Fawcett wouldn't publish CM anymore. At the same time, Fawcett went out of the Comic Business. DC leased the character in 1972, but DC couldn't officially publish a book called "Captain Marvel". See, between 1953 (when Fawcett dropped CM) and 1972 (when they got Billy), Fawcett's copyright on the CM name had lapsed. Marvel (the Publisher) took the opertunity and got their own actully copyrighted "captain marvel" (I'm sorry, I don't respect the character enough to put capital letters).

This is why you see titles like "Billy Batson and the Power of SHAZAM" and others. Legally in comics and ads DC refers to CM as "Shazam" (and his "Shazam Family.") Of course, despite this legal name change he has been refereed to as Captain Marvel. (btw, I am paraphrasing what it says on his page, but whatever...)

• Easy answer if you don't want to read all that: some time between 1953-1972

Basically, from a legal stand point these actions make sense. He and his family have been refered to as "SHAZAM" (and family) for years in the legal aspect, why not refer to them as such elsewhere? (I'm playing devil's advocate btw...I already have voiced my opinion). They haven't done anything with Captain Marvel because he is just a tough character to advertise. Comic fans know him as CM, but they can't say that in the ads to get fans attention, so the only thing they really can do to let the character grow is to change his name. Its sensible from a legal aspect. For a fan's opinion look above...

Edit addition: this is also why the little 22 minute short with sups & Billy is called "Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam". Look at the blerb, there is no mention of CM and this is why...

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Joygirl said:

Shazam sounds sooo hokey... call him White Capelet Man or Ropey Beltington or Lightning Bolt Chest Fellow.

well, in his original form (before his actual first appearece) he was called, "Captain Thunder", but they changed it...

Captain Thunder does have a ring to it...not sure if it is nice or what...

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By SoA

CHOCOLATE EGG CREAM !!!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#12  Edited By Joygirl

I could go for some Captain Thunder. That'd be fine with me.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

@The Poet said:

@Joygirl said:

well, in his original form (before his actual first appearece) he was called, "Captain Thunder", but they changed it...

Captain Thunder does have a ring to it...not sure if it is nice or what...

If they can't use Marvel, I'd prefer Thunder. It makes ....umm...what should we call him now?...Shazam/Captain Marvel/Billy Batson seem a lot more badass.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

If they can't use Marvel, I'd prefer Thunder. It makes ....umm...what should we call him now?...Shazam/Captain Marvel/Billy Batson seem a lot more badass.

maybe...but based on how they have been pushing the Shazam name we won't be seeing that anytime soon.

In fact, this whole change has been happening for years now...sadly i don't think they will turn back on this decision. Its just not in their best interest to change it back...even if readers prefer CM...

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By the_tree

I'd prefer that if they have to change the name, they change it to Captain Thunder. When I think of the name Shazam, I think of the wizard. Plus if you change his name to Shazam, it's being said too much, and what happens if he says Shazam and reverts back to a normal kid?

Coluber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coluber

I certainly don't like the name change (Captain Thunder would have been much better, even if Mary Marvel is still in a quandry with regards her name). Shazam is the name of the wizard, and the magic word which transforms Billy into his superpowered alter ego. I certainly don't understand the arguments used to justify the change, nor do I understand those who think this is a good idea. Captain Marvel has never been called Shazam as some might say; his character has been marketed with the name Shazam. This is a boneheaded move.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Kallarkz

I'm cool with it. And people. OBVIOUSLY they will change how his powers work. He will probably have to consciously will his transformation while he says the name. That's kind of a major thing that I'm pretty sure they have thought about.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Loki9876

I like shazam more to be honest.

BillyTheFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BillyTheFox

@Coluber said:

I certainly don't like the name change (Captain Thunder would have been much better, even if Mary Marvel is still in a quandry with regards her name). Shazam is the name of the wizard, and the magic word which transforms Billy into his superpowered alter ego. I certainly don't understand the arguments used to justify the change, nor do I understand those who think this is a good idea. Captain Marvel has never been called Shazam as some might say; his character has been marketed with the name Shazam. This is a boneheaded move.

To my knowledge, Shazam is merely an alias the Wizard took upon ascending to apparent godhood, and his real name is Jebediah of Canaan.When I think about it, "Shazam", being itself an acronym and a magic word, is not simply a name, or at least it shouldn't be just a name. I'd like to think of it as a title, in the same vein of those who become the various Doctor Fate incarnations. In my mind, back when Shazam "died" and Billy took over, he should have been referred to as "Shazam", as he had ascended to the Wizard's position and they continued to use that word for their transformations (well, Freddy didn't, and that's honestly something I've never understood).

As for the name change itself... I'm not sure what to think. I certainly like the use of "Captain Marvel" as Billy's alias, but after the thoughts like what I explained above, the name change itself makes perfect sense, at least if you apply the scenario of Billy ascending to the position of the Wizard Shazam. Whether that will be the case is doubtful, as Billy... didn't really do a good job as "Lord Marvel" it appears. Though I admit, I think his re-designed physical appearance as "Marvel" was awesome, so it would be cool, to me at least, if that design came back.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

SHAZAM is a cool magic word, but he'll always be Captain Marvel to me.

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% good with SHAZAM. other then true fans most people know him as SHAZAM anyways. and thats the wizards name and now Billy took over his role. Lets face it people.. why was he a Captain?? captain of what? its not like he was a soldier like Cap America. I am a big fan of Shazam and I love the change

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Titanbreaker

I would have preferred Captain Thunder but I get why he is called Shazam as the Wizard did die in NEW 52 but still...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.