inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

When it was announced Boom! was going to do a BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA comic, aside from the cheers, most fans thought "how is this going to work?" and not because it's impossible to use these characters and this world to create a new series. Fans didn't know what direction it would take or when it would take place.

What's really great about this opening issue is that it takes place right after the movie ends, as Jack Burton drives his truck, the Porkchop Express, down a lonely highway, talking into a CB radio to an audience of probably none. If you remember the film, then you remember the bigfoot-looking demon on the back. That's exactly where this story kicks off, which is completely awesome and a perfect way to continue the adventures of Jack Burton. He finds the demon, who strangely enough likes him, and heads back to Chinatown to see what's going on with this demon. Things escalate from there and a servant of Lo Pan wants revenge on Jack Burton and company, for killing his master.

Fans will be pleased with the direction. It has that same sense of adventure and mysticism, and that's probably because aside from the great Eric Powell writing this book, John Carpenter worked on the story. However, it's Powell that wrote the rest of the book, and he nailed it when it comes to capturing the voices of some of these classic characters.Jack Burton's non-stop talkfest into his CB radio and his inability to convey a message in less than 30 words shines through here. Egg Shen also stands out as being captured extremely well. The story is fun and builds on Big Trouble mythos and connection to Chinese mysticism, in America.

The art from Brian Churilla is a bit cartoony, and honestly, it took some time to get used to, but all-in-all, it's a great fit for this book. Between him and colorist Michael Garland, aesthetically, this book has the style that it should have, which is a bit more animated than one might think. There are times when backgrounds disappear or go flat, which can be aggravating, but in these situations, a character or action is being highlighted, so it's forgivable. Artistically, the highlight of this issue is the two pages where Jack Burton talks about meeting his second wife. The pages are bold and will keep readers staring at them for quite a while. Plus, it adds a lot to Jack Burton being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Bad

There are a few scenes, in this issue, where the book misses the tone of the original film. Obviously, the comic and book are separate entities, but what the original film did incredibly well was balance comedy and action. The film was a tad more adventure and action than comedy than anything else. This book comes off a bit more zanier that the film, and while it's understandable the creative team wants to set their book slightly apart from the film, it may be a mildly uneasy transition for die hard fans.

It may be tough for people who haven't seen the movie to dive right into this book, since it takes place right after the movie ends.

The Verdict

There hasn't been another licensed book I've been more excited about, but Powell, Churilla, and Garland nail it here. It's a great follow-up to the film and Powell really nails the voices of these characters extremely well. While there are times where the tone gets a bit too silly, the overall story is pretty awesome and fits well compared to the film. It's a bit of a surprise that this book was enjoyable as it was considering licensed books tend to be not so great. The biggest problem this book will have to overcome is that it isn't as new reader friendly as it should be, but don't let that stop you from picking this up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I can't wait to read this book later

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

JangoCrossfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think you covered this perfectly accurate, Mat. Solid review.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4 inferiorego  Staff

I think you covered this perfectly accurate, Mat. Solid review.

Thanks for not pooping on me!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By WarDishy_

Glad it didn't suck! Hope to read it soon.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's criminal if someone hasn't seen the film, even more so if they bought this without having seen it. I really wanted to pick this up out of curiosity if nothing else. Unfortunately my lcs didn't get any copies or were sold out. Might try to find a copy at the other local shops.

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Must check this out, sounds pretty good

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue had me laughing like a nutter, every time somebody talked I just imagined their voices from the movie. Some amazing speeches by Jack as well. You're gonna need a copy if you don't have one already.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Count me in! Love the film. Have my own ideas for a remake (yeah I know a blasphemous thought, but I actually really worked it out with a friend) and the preview I saw of this had me excited. So bring on good 'Ol Jack Burton!!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I'm going to try and find the time to read this.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looooved this. Easily one of my favorite issues from this week.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

This issue had me laughing like a nutter, every time somebody talked I just imagined their voices from the movie. Some amazing speeches by Jack as well. You're gonna need a copy if you don't have one already.

SAME! I thought this issue was brilliant, Powell pulled off Jack's voice perfectly.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@manwithoutshame said:

SAME! I thought this issue was brilliant, Powell pulled off Jack's voice perfectly.

Throw my hat into this ring because everything above I agree with. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this comic although I do think not seeing the movie will be a handicap.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Considering it's Big Trouble in Little China, I don't think it can get "too silly" :P Of course, I haven't read it yet so I can't say that with 100% certainty but too late I did. I hope to go to the shop next week and pick this up. Is this a limited series or on-going?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.