Has anybody here (other than Silkcuts) read Big Numbers?

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Has anybody here (other than Silkcuts) read any issues of Big Numbers?

If so, what did you think of it?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Ooh is it good? Do you think my comic store will have it? Does it have any quirky endearing characters in it?

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

I haven't read it. But if you and Silk are vouching for it I will pick up some issues.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @SC:
    @Caligula said:
    " I haven't read it. But if you and Silk are vouching for it I will pick up some issues. "
    Well, I lettered an issue...but that was about twenty years ago. I don't know who still has copies. I hadn't even thought about BN in years until Silk and I talked about it in PMs.

If you read the article about the Big Numbers project that Silkcuts wrote, you'll learn the rest of the story. Silk also wrote articles about issues #1 & #2.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Caligula
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    " @SC:
    @Caligula said:
    " I haven't read it. But if you and Silk are vouching for it I will pick up some issues. "
    Well, I lettered an issue...but that was about twenty years ago. I don't know who still has copies. I hadn't even thought about BN in years until Silk and I talked about it in PMs. If you read the article about the Big Numbers project that Silkcuts wrote, you'll learn the rest of the story. Silk also wrote articles about issues #1 & #2. "
    I will have to find these. And buy them. the mail them too you and have you sign away your lif... I mean autograph them for me :D
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Caligula said:
    " @Roxanne Starr said:
    " @SC:
    @Caligula said:
    Well, I lettered an issue...but that was about twenty years ago. I don't know who still has copies. I hadn't even thought about BN in years until Silk and I talked about it in PMs. If you read the article about the Big Numbers project that Silkcuts wrote, you'll learn the rest of the story. Silk also wrote articles about issues #1 & #2. "
    I will have to find these. And buy them. the mail them too you and have you sign away your lif... I mean autograph them for me :D "

Good luck. They will probably be hard to find. I'm amazed that The Beguiling (I think that's where Silk bought his) still had copies. 

Anyhow, our ice emergency has passed, but I just heard on the news that you have a couple of feet of snow?!

Since I'm not at home at the moment and this computer doesn't have Illustrator on it (that's the program one uses to manipulate fonts and such) I still can't work on covers yet. But...as always...I'll keep you posted.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Caligula
    @Roxanne Starr: yeah we got a got couple of feet of the great white.

I shall be looking forward to it.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator

I am reading a rough copy of #3 online. For free. I started, at least. I hate reading comics online, because my computer does not like being on my bed, and thats the only place I read comics. 

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @SC said:
    "I am reading a rough copy of #3 online. For free. I started, at least. I hate reading comics online, because my computer does not like being on my bed, and thats the only place I read comics.  "

Print it out, SC. My lettering looks better that way. XD
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    " @SC said:
    "I am reading a rough copy of #3 online. For free. I started, at least. I hate reading comics online, because my computer does not like being on my bed, and thats the only place I read comics.  "
    Print it out, SC. My lettering looks better that way. XD "

Not a bad idea. Oh, I have some questions for you!! You must be a fountain of expert advice? Lettering seems so hard, I wanted to be a tattoo artist, but I have shaky hands. Constantly shivering but nought for cold.  

Oh, and its okay if I post this link? For those interested in it too? I still haven't read it yet. Lettering looks great though in the bit I checked out! ^_^ 

LINK 

Is this the right thing? Or have a made a huge error lol
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Yup. That's the one!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
    @SC: thanks for the link

@Roxanne Starr:
    I am reading it now. I love Moore's writing and knowing that it was lettered by you is awesome. so im sure im going to enjoy it.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Caligula: 

This is probably the longest thread ever about a comic that never existed. :-)
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Caligula
    @Roxanne Starr: lol
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Caligula: 

We need to get Silk in on this, since he's the only one who has read #1 and #2. I never even read them. 

Are we missing vital clues that appeared in earlier issues, Silk (I know you are around somewhere), that are required to understand #3?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Caligula
    @Roxanne Starr: i'll PM him and get him in here, I saved the pages of issue 3. it's awesome to have some of Moore's hidden stuff being that he is my favorite writer of all time. And it's cool that you are the person that lettered.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Jotham

The biggest number I ever read was a trillion, and I had to count the zeros to make sure it wasn't just a hundred billion. DUR HUR HUR.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Caligula
    @Jotham: welcome to the thread :D

in here. we count... Big Numbers.
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

ok what comic is this

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Roxanne Starr said:

" @Caligula: 

We need to get Silk in on this, since he's the only one who has read #1 and #2. I never even read them.   Are we missing vital clues that appeared in earlier issues, Silk (I know you are around somewhere), that are required to understand #3? "

It is hard to explain....  The pacing is slow so its not like we miss anything important yet.  Since it is incomplete it is not like I truly get the whole picture as well.  I've only read a 1/4 of it if it is 12 issue plotted. The story itself is the affect of a "Mall" being opened in a small British town.  Each character has a different relationship to the "mall".  The story itself is not what makes Big Numbers important, it is the experimentation of the medium.  This is one of the oldest applied metaphysics in comics I can think of, concepts like the chaos theory and Factoids were things Moore was trying to work into the presentation.

I'll link up my reviews for #1 ( here) and #2 ( here) and I hope those help.  

@Roxanne Starr: You are right, I did get them at the Beguiling in Toronto, they still had copies of #1 last time I checked, but #2 is more limited and I think I got there last one.  Teh Beguiling is Toronto's best store and they "buy" collections.  I also acquired Brought to Light from them and a few other rarer books. 

@Caligula: You can get Big Numbers online ( here) if you want.  It remains incomplete and I warn you that because I am sad it is not done.  I enjoy comic that push the medium.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Silkcuts

Wow... I am sorry I killed the thread.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Caligula
    @Silkcuts said:
    " Wow... I am sorry I killed the thread. "
    haha you didn't kill it you just answered our questions, and helped us get into a great comic, that didn't get a chance to stand on it own two legs.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Caligula said:
    " @Silkcuts said:
    " Wow... I am sorry I killed the thread. "
    haha you didn't kill it you just answered our questions, and helped us get into a great comic, that didn't get a chance to stand on it own two legs. "
    ^_^ 
    Good.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Jotham said:
    "The biggest number I ever read was a trillion, and I had to count the zeros to make sure it wasn't just a hundred billion. DUR HUR HUR. "

Seriously though, Jotham, the issue that I lettered was a total pain in the ass.  

First off, I had to create a new font that imitated Al Columbia's "hand." Other fonts that I had created (and looked a whole lot better) weren't to Al's liking. He had to have a font that made it look as though he had lettered it himself. 

Mind you, the artwork on BN #3 is NOT Al's...it's Bill's. But the plan was for me to go back and re-letter the first 2 issues plus the rest of the story, that Al was supposed to draw. What was reported to me by Paul Jenkins, who was the editor on that project, was that Al was only a couple of pages away from completing #4 when he destroyed all the pages.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    " @Jotham said:
    "The biggest number I ever read was a trillion, and I had to count the zeros to make sure it wasn't just a hundred billion. DUR HUR HUR. "

Seriously though, Jotham, the issue that I lettered was a total pain in the ass.  

First off, I had to create a new font that imitated Al Columbia's "hand." Other fonts that I had created (and looked a whole lot better) weren't to Al's liking. He had to have a font that made it look as though he had lettered it himself. 

Mind you, the artwork on BN #3 is NOT Al's...it's Bill's. But the plan was for me to go back and re-letter the first 2 issues plus the rest of the story, that Al was supposed to draw. What was reported to me by Paul Jenkins, who was the editor on that project, was that Al was only a couple of pages away from completing #4 when he destroyed all the pages. "
    I can't believe issues #4 was not finished and is destroyed.  Al Columbia is an idiot and loser, he was given a free pass on a book that would of made him famous and he destroyed it.  Dumb....
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Silkcuts: 

And as I told you before that was "just the tip of the iceberg" on Al.

Don't fret, Silk.  I'm sure that this thread will come alive again when people like SC read the little taste of BN that still survives.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Roxanne Starr:  ^_^
    I want to punch Al in the face for ruining everything.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Jotham

Wait, the guy just destroyed the comic? That's bizarre. 
    OH NO! Alan Moore considers it some of his best work? ARGH! Now I'm mad.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Jotham:
    @Silkcuts:

Well, similar stuff happens in the comic book industry all the time...it's just that Al carried it to the extreme. 

Often artists will promise a certain deadline to their editors thinking that they can meet it, but they can't. That's why editors won't put unknown artists on big projects. They just give them little throw-away back up stories. That's how the editors learn exactly how quickly any given artist can turn around a page. 

In the case of Big Numbers, Paul Jenkins didn't have the authority to make the decision who the artist would be. I'm sure that were that up to him, he would have chosen someone else. Al's style is similar to Bill's...but he was no Bill Sienkiewicz! 

Paul was considered the editor on the project, but in reality, he was relegated to the position of being Al's manager/babysitter.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Silkcuts: 

I looked briefly for that Judd Winick sketch this morning and haven't found it yet. I have too much stuff. 

When I went looking for the Big Numbers xeroxes (and there were 5 sets of 40 pages each plus the photostats together in a box), it took me at least an hour and a half. However, I found some other interesting things that I had totally forgotten about along the way.

As I said...I have too much stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.