Follow

Big Barda

Character » Big Barda appears in 882 issues.

Bred for battle on the hellish world of Apokolips, Big Barda became one of her world's greatest warriors and served as the leader of Darkseid's personal guard, the Female Furies. Eventually Barda found love, and fled Apokolips with her future husband, Mr. Miracle. Barda has since made Earth her primary home and has served as member of the Justice League. She is the daughter of Big Breeda.

Scott and Barda; Should they be the next DC Showcase short?

Avatar image for the_ghost_writer
    The Ghost Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The Ghost Writer

The more that DC makes Direct-to-DVD movies, the more I find myself looking forward to the DC Showcase Shorts than the movies themselves. Don't get me wrong, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Justice League: Doom, All-Star Superman, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, and Superman Vs. The Elite are all amazing, but for some reason, the little animated shorts are what get me. It's probably because I'm sort of the guy who likes to see the b-list/c-list heroes get a day in the limelight. The shorts for Jonah Hex (way better than that crappy live-action movie, by the way), Catwoman, Green Arrow and Black Canary, the Spectre, and Captain Marvel were just incredible, and a real joy to watch. You can really tell that the writers and animators really cared about getting the characters and their personalities as true to the original as they possibly could, and I really enjoyed that.

Now, that being said, I'd love to see more of Mr. Miracle and Big Barda. They both have such a wonderful chemistry together, and the way they both show their love for one another even in the heat of battle is just so heartwarming. New Gods or not, the two of them are just perfect, no bones about it. They've had some exposure, in both JLU and Batman: The Brave and The Bold, but if you ask me, they could use some more. That's why I think another DC Showcase Short about the two of them woudl be a perfect fit. Since they're not as long as the "main event", but just long enough to really give you a feel for their characters, it'd be an awesome way to give us more insight into their lives in an animated setting.

Maybe we could see Scott fiddling with some of his New Genesis gizmos for an upcoming performance, or some of Barda's many attempts at being a housewife (like baking and accidentally burning the food), and it would be especially great if we could have a tender moment between them where Barda calls Scott by her nickname for him (i.e. her "Little Man"). And then there'd be some action with some threat from Apokalips putting a damper on the mood, only for the two of them to beat it back with their awesome teamwork and return to their flirting, maybe with some hints at a more "intimate" moment about to occur offscreen as Barda slings Scott over her shoulder and strides for the bedroom.

So, what do you guys think? Is this a good idea? Want to see some more of Barda and Scott Free? I'd love to hear your input on this idea, especially if DC should maybe consider this for a future Showcase Short. Personally, I'd like to see Ioan Gruffudd and Farrah Forke return to their roles as these two from when they played them in the JLU episode, "The Ties That Bind." They did amazing work with these two, and whenever I read them in the comics, their voices immediately spring to mind. And if DC got the same artists and animators from the previous Shorts (like Green Arrow, Catwoman, etc) to do the animation for this project, it'd be even more awesome :D.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Oh my God, yes. I'd watch the hell out of this.

The Ghost Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The Ghost Writer

@Gambit1024 said:

Oh my God, yes. I'd watch the hell out of this.

Same here, it'd be one of the best Shorts yet in my opinion (though I am pretty fond of the aforementioned ones, truth be told). I'd buy the DVD, solely to watch this short if it becomes a reality :D.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_

YES PLEASE

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Are they still doing the DC shorts?? I don't recall "Doom" having one

The Ghost Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Ghost Writer

@cattlebattle: You know, I noticed that too. Weird. I hope they're still doing shorts though, the animation, the artwork, the writing, and the acting for the previous ones have been extremely impressive. I'd hate to hear that they've stopped creating them.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @The Ghost Writer said:

@cattlebattle: You know, I noticed that too. Weird. I hope they're still doing shorts though, the animation, the artwork, the writing, and the acting for the previous ones have been extremely impressive. I'd hate to hear that they've stopped creating them.

I think they did stop unfortunately. I remember Bruce Timm saying that there was only a Catwoman short because Batman Year One was so short...I would have to research it.
    The Ghost Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Ghost Writer

@cattlebattle: Doesn't look like Superman vs. The Elite is going to have a short either, but that doesn't mean they might not come back to these in the future. Hope springs eternal after all, and I sincerely hope they keep doing them, and that Mr. Miracle (Scott Free) and Big Barda have a chance to star in one :D.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
    @The Ghost Writer said:

@cattlebattle: Doesn't look like Superman vs. The Elite is going to have a short either, but that doesn't mean they might not come back to these in the future. Hope springs eternal after all, and I sincerely hope they keep doing them, and that Mr. Miracle (Scott Free) and Big Barda have a chance to star in one :D.

I do too! Some of the shorts were actually as good or better then the movie they were attached too
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MrMiracle77

Ah, if only they would.  With only room for one short per title three times a year, and only if the primary film's budget isn't too steep, Scott and Barda would have to fight it out with dozens of other fun but underrepresented characters for their chance.  We're likely to see a Zatanna, Booster Gold, or Legion of Superheroes short before the Frees have a turn.

The Ghost Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Ghost Writer

@MrMiracle77: Sad but true :(. However, like I've said before, hope springs eternal :D.

@cattlebattle: I agree, a lot of them were lightyears ahead of the feature presentation at times. The Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Spectre, and Green Arrow shorts are especially worth mentioning in that aspect... At least in my opinion that is.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
    @The Ghost Writer said: 

@cattlebattle: I agree, a lot of them were lightyears ahead of the feature presentation at times. The Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Spectre, and Green Arrow shorts are especially worth mentioning in that aspect... At least in my opinion that is.

The Green Arrow one was amazing, it was written by Greg Weisman (guy who produces Young Justice), they should use stuff like that as a basis for feature films
    The Ghost Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Ghost Writer

@cattlebattle: Agreed. When Greg Weisman creates something, its bound to be epic. For that, I will cite Gargoyles, his run on W.I.T.C.H., the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, and (currently) Young Justice as examples of his skill and sheer awesomeness (yes, I know that's not a real word, but bear with me, lol :P).

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By krspaceT

It would be possible...

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BR_Havoc

It should be I mean it is a shame that they have not shown Barda and Scott in the new 52 yet and when they final show up I hope they have kept them married. I feel they both work the best when together.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.