Beyonder vs Illuminati preview/SPOILER

#1 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know what to say about this. I love Bendis and the crazy writing he does at times. I've always stuck by him but SECRET WARS has always held a special place for me. But this kinda pisses me off.

Read about it here and discuss (if you care about the Beyonder): http://www.comicvine.com/brian-michael-bendis/40435/news/&newsId=158

Staff
#2 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know, it sounds cool to me.

#3 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just not a fan of the Inhumans and don't see what the heck the Beyonder would have to do with them. LAME!

Staff
#4 Posted by -000 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds kinda stupid, I liked his old origin. This new one doesn't make much sense to me...

#5 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

Your judging of from one panel, at least wait till you have the whole story before you tear into it. I never cared about the Beyonder and I think alot of people felt the same way, at least this sheds some more light on him, not to mention it makes the Illuminati look badass.

#6 Posted by Evil-G (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

"Your judging of from one panel, at least wait till you have the whole story before you tear into it. I never cared about the Beyonder and I think alot of people felt the same way, at least this sheds some more light on him, not to mention it makes the Illuminati look badass."

Actually it's three panels...Bendis better not mess it up. Maybe it's just Chuck being hopeful that he's a mutant after Spider-Man kicked the X-Men's butt in issue #3 (I think).

#7 Posted by Captain Hazard (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really like the idea of him being a inhuman. I like him having an unknown about him. But now it seems like any mutant could sneek in there get some mist and be beyonder.

#8 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Hazard says:

"I don't really like the idea of him being a inhuman. I like him having an unknown about him. But now it seems like any mutant could sneek in there get some mist and be beyonder."

What? Just cause ya pour syrup on $#@! dont make em pancakes ya dig lmao.

#9 Posted by Captain Hazard (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

"Captain Hazard says:
"I don't really like the idea of him being a inhuman. I like him having an unknown about him. But now it seems like any mutant could sneek in there get some mist and be beyonder."
What? Just cause ya pour syrup on $#@! dont make em pancakes ya dig lmao."
Thats the way it sounded. Becuase he already had a power by getting the mist it made him have unimaginable power.
#10 Posted by Evil-G (88 posts) - - Show Bio

I hear they're replacing it with this since Pietro stole them.

#11 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, unless this preview is a totally misleading, purposeful fabrication, this is crap.

Post Edited:2007-05-29 23:03:11

#12 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

after reading that, i think i'll be leaving that one alone... for a verry long time...

M

#13 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe i just don't know enough about Beyonder to fell the same, I like the concept of him being a mutant, I mean, what the hell was he before?

#14 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

"Maybe i just don't know enough about Beyonder to fell the same, I like the concept of him being a mutant, I mean, what the hell was he before?"

He was supposed to be a being more powerful possibly than even the Living Tribunal. Now he's a mutant inhuman? Crap.

#15 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Chuck just is crazy and doesn't know what he's talking about. Look at Black Bolt's face, he's like, "What the heck have you been smoking? And why didn't I get any?"

Staff
#16 Posted by Captain Hazard (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

"Maybe i just don't know enough about Beyonder to fell the same, I like the concept of him being a mutant, I mean, what the hell was he before?"
Yeah picture a guy with unknown orgins who basicly could go you are jello becuse I feel like it. He can do whatever he possibly wants to and was suppost to be some amazing cosmic being and now he is just this mutant/inhuman thing.
#17 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

heh, yeah it does look that way...

it's probably the artists smuggling that look in because thats how they really feel about the writing....

"dude, have you seen this script?"

"yeah, WTF are the writers smoking up there and why haven't we got any?"

M

#18 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

From our page here: "Originally a being from beyond our universe the Beyonder proved to be possibly the most powerful being created in the marvel universe. He seemed to have immense telepathic and telekinetic powers, he could shape shift, teleport (although he seemed somewhat omnipresent)the Beyonder appeared to have knowledge of all things past and present. early on he seemed nothing more than an observer but as time went on he did influence those around him more and more. sadly his power became the end of him as marvel deconstructed his abilities and cast him as a hoax. unaware of this the beyonder became a much lesser super being, and his previous super feats were nothing more than his imagination. A sad end to what was an incredible being."

There was more written but, oh yeah, we had to delete it...

Staff
#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

ahhh retcon... the bane of archivers existence...

now can you imagine how i'm going to feel trying to get the Dr Who page streight?

M

#20 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont see why him being a mutant less ins his character? He had no real origin it sounds like to me.

#21 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

"I dont see why him being a mutant less ins his character? He had no real origin it sounds like to me."

Because, turning him into a mutant, even an inhuman one, would make him suddenly the most powerful mutant ever. Imagine a mutant who makes an Omega Level mutant like Franklin Richards at full power seem like a bug in comparison. Just doesn't jive after all these years. Bendis, in one issue, will take away everything that made the Beyonder interesting.

#22 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

You sound very passionate about this, maybe he'll surprise you and it wont suck.

#23 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the thing with Bendis (at least to me). He's either totally on target, or his writing sucks rotten snake eggs. We shall see.

I'm kind of where G-Man is with this. Secret Wars was one of my earliest childhood comics memories. You know how that goes, if somebody screws up a childhood memory, it can make you pretty angry.

#24 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

methos says:

"ahhh retcon... the bane of archivers existence...now can you imagine how i'm going to feel trying to get the Dr Who page streight?M"

Anyways, the Beyonder did have a bigger page but it was...taken from elsewhere. Basically he was an omniscient being that accidentally discovered our universe (when lame-o Molecule Man caused the accident that gave him his powers). The Beyonder knew nothing about human traits of good or evil and greed. So he took a bunch of good guys and bad guys and wanted them to fight. He said he'd give the winner anything they wanted.

I did a blog on it way back, like my fifth one. Can't seem to put a link to the individual blog.

Staff
#25 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

I was kinda pissed about how Spider-man got his mask ripped off in New Avengers when they were fighting on the Raft. I thought it was wrong that everyone would see his face. But I let it go because I trusted Bendis. Then they go and just do away with it. Think I'm still in denial about that.

Staff
#26 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at Kangs face, thats weak if you ask me, he looks like a 9 year old who dropped his icecream.

#27 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Gambler says:

"Look at Kangs face, thats weak if you ask me, he looks like a 9 year old who dropped his icecream."

He probably dropped someting in his pants.

Staff
#28 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Another fucking Beyonder retcon?

Jesus H. Christ.

#29 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

ScoodleDaddle says:

"Another fucking Beyonder retcon? Jesus H. Christ."

Lmao.

#30 Posted by -000 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I've nooticed that Marvel has been doing a lot of retcons, with the Illuminati, Winter Soldier, Thor's DNA in civil war etc.

#31 Posted by Liverwurst (881 posts) - - Show Bio

The dna thing wasn't a retcon. Oh yeah, I read the issue and I'm resisting the urge to feed Bendis to rabid Naruto fangirls (no offense to the fangirls, but some of you can go overboard)

#32 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

this came out already?

#33 Posted by Adidas Demon (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why they can't leave Beyonder alone. First he's the most powerful entity in the multiverse. then he was a hoax. now he's a stupid mutant/ inhuman. It doesn't make sense. I guess the WWH stuff went over so well they need the Illuminati to play with another Marvel power. I was a big fan of the Secret war stuff. and I wanted him to stay that way. And could Xavier even get into The Beyonders head in the secret wars?

#34 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

so umm is the beyonder alive

#35 Posted by he who is not (156 posts) - - Show Bio

they should have made the beyonder the incarnation of the writer of the comic

#36 Posted by lordraiden (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"so umm is the beyonder alive "
Yeah, they've (Bendis/Marvel) have just made him an inhuman now, insteat of the omnipotent being he was comparibale to TOAA when he was first introduced in the original Secret Wars! I personally hate it when they downsize characters!
Post Edited:2008-05-18 03:12:09
#37 Posted by Leliel (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Well now that his some sort of mutated Inhuman who was further mutated by the mist those that mean that Mealstrom who once nearly destroy the universe and was immune to the gems is just like him?

#38 Posted by Djinn (778 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the idea thats he's an inhuman, i think they could give a better description on mutant inhuman though, but i just like all things and people dealing with the inhumans

#39 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw man, I'm getting pissed again over this.  I'm trying to act as if it didn't happen.

Staff
#40 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't get the big deal about it. It's better than being a mutant cosmic cube.

#41 Posted by G-Man (30677 posts) - - Show Bio

Double Aw Man!  I had erased that from my memory.  It was just in a single issue of FF.  I don't buy either of those.  He simply is from beyond.  End of story.

Staff
#42 Posted by Pr_Beyonder (2440 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:
Hey, long time since anyone's posted on this forum but.... 

1)what did you think about the retcons to secret wars 
 2)Would you mind doing a  Beyonder 3 minute expert?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.