Follow

Betty Ross

Character » Betty Ross appears in 1098 issues.

The love of Bruce Banner's life, she has been one of the Hulk's greatest allies, though she is the daughter of his greatest enemy, General 'Thunderbolt' Ross. She has been transformed into the Harpy, died, and is now a Hulk herself although she lost her powers when Doctor Green, the new incarnation of the Hulk, injected her with the cure for Gamma Radiation. What's next in her life remains to be seen...

What's the deal with Red She-Hulk?

EvilAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EvilAndy

So whats the deal with the Red She-Hulk? At the end of the “Heart of the Monster” story arc in Incredible Hulks, Betty seemed to be in control of her transformations, and no more crazy Red She-Hulk. That seemed to hold true in Fear Itself and her brief appearance in the new Incredible Hulk series. But in Hulk #47, crazy Red She-Hulk is back as if Betty and Red were two separate personalities, and in Defenders #2 she’s not crazy, Betty is in control, but she can’t power down unless somethings scares her?

I know it’s impossible to be 100% consistent over all the titles the Marvel produces, but Red She-Hulk seems all over the map.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By luckydomino1

the same thing confused me all these damn writers man

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

They really need to give "red she-hulk" and "savage she-hulk" their own names. "She-hulk" is already a crappy name because it's just a gender swap. Give Betty and--what's her name? Lyra?--give them their own super hero names.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    They should change Betty back and forget about the Red She-Hulk character forever >_>
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @fodigg said:

They really need to give "red she-hulk" and "savage she-hulk" their own names. "She-hulk" is already a crappy name because it's just a gender swap. Give Betty and--what's her name? Lyra?--give them their own super hero names.

Lady Hulk? Hulkess?
    Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hawk80

Hulka!!!

no, please...

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fodigg

How bout something without the word "hulk" in it? And that's gender-neutral?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online

Lady Hulk-Man

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I know Marvel is very inconsistent with some of their characters. Especially Red She Hulk!

maikkywin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maikkywin

I like where this is going and by going, I mean MoonAvengers .

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daveyo520

I did not know she was a thing.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Blood1991

Red She Hulk irritates me. I mean we have a perfectly good She-Hulk who isn't doing anything. I mean two hulks is a bit much, three She-Hulks is ridiculous.

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Purgy

I Agree, but i don't know what they'll do with She-Hulk, but it seems they are trying to make Betty i think into the New She-Hulk. But i hope a writer comes and deal more developement to it. I rather they just change her back and i wonder how she's reacting to Hulk and Banner seperation?

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sinestro2828

@Purgy said:

I Agree, but i don't know what they'll do with She-Hulk, but it seems they are trying to make Betty i think into the New She-Hulk. But i hope a writer comes and deal more developement to it. I rather they just change her back and i wonder how she's reacting to Hulk and Banner seperation?

I've never liked the idea of Ross and Betty becoming red hued versions of the original hulk and she hulk characters, only one emits more radiation the madder he gets and the other spits acid. If you HAD to make them into gamma mutants, why not give them their own unique forms? or at least give them their own names? It just seems like a case of lazy writing to me, at least Abomination was original.

They also need to decide if Betty's gonna be good or evil already, if we already have a good she hulk, why do we need another? They should probably just turn her back to normal and never bring it up again, or have her mutate into something different

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

From what Jeff Parker said in an interview a few days back, Betty and Red She-Hulk are the same person, or consider themselves to be the same person (sort of the opposite of how Hulk and Banner are the same but consider themselves to be two completely different people). It's just that Betty has anxiety and worries about consequences, while her gamma form doesn't care what happens, just as long as she can do whatever she has an impulse for. Hopefully Red She-Hulk #58 (Rulk's title moved to his daughter) fixes up her inconsistencies.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JonSmith

Let's go with 'fluctuations in her gamma transformation are brought about by extended... 'exposure' to Bruce Banner. Said exposure renders the personality of Miss Ross's alter ego to change according to her mood going into the transformation. Some moods trigger total synchronicity, others total separation of primary and secondary personas.' Hence the random inconsistencies.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By X35

@TheGoldenOne said:

They should change Betty back and forget about the Red She-Hulk character forever >_>
    ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ogg927

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: I totally agree. Jeff Parker is amazing with what he's done with Red Hulk. I look forward to brilliant writing on Betty Ross. I actually like the different Hulks, Betty and Gen Ross were there in the beginning from Hulk #1. I think that it adds for new and different stories.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ogg927:

I can't wait to see what happens to Rulk now that he's off of Parker's *current* books. Hopefully he's big part of Waid's Green Hulk series.

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ogg927

I read somewhere that Marvel is trying to promote more female characters which is why they switched to Betty. I'll check out Parker's book because he's good and I like the new Machine Man. I will follow Rulk wherever he's goes.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mega_spidey01

they need to make a pre-existing black hulk for the 616 universe. i wonder how that'll play out?

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ogg927

I just picked up Red She Hulk today and it's awesome! I love Jeff Parker and Carlo Pagulayan.

Red She-Hulk (2012) #1
    Red She-Hulk (2012) #1
    KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator

@Mega_spidey01 said:

they need to make a pre-existing black hulk for the 616 universe. i wonder how that'll play out?

They did have a black hulk in Ultimate Universe - Tyrone Cash.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@fodigg said:

I realize I'm replying to a year old comic, but I think the perfect names for them would be just Red and Savage. Think about it. Betty can pull off just being called Red and Lyra being called Savage is just awesome. Drop the She-Hulk name all together for both of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I like this idea...

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@guttridgeb: Thanks. I mean, it makes more sense to me. I mean they can title the books Red She-Hulk or Savage She-Hulk, but never actually call them that within the book, just Red or Savage if we're going by codenames

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By karrob

@TheGoldenOne said:

This!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fodigg

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@fodigg said:

I realize I'm replying to a year old comic, but I think the perfect names for them would be just Red and Savage. Think about it. Betty can pull off just being called Red and Lyra being called Savage is just awesome. Drop the She-Hulk name all together for both of them.

I dunno. Red is kinda generic, and how does that not double up with Red Hulk? As for Savage, I'd just think of Vandal Savage. So...I guess I like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.