Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter

#1 Edited by King Hyperion (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

In today's MyCup O' Joe over at Myspace, Joe Quesada revealed some details about a new three-part series featuring Beta Ray Bill who has come up with the idea of actually attempting to murder The Devourer of Worlds. Below is the cover art to one of the issues and Joe talking about Godhunter.

JM: And another look into the future: June sees Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter, in which Beta Ray Bill gets the idea to hunt and kill Galactus. It’s a three-issue mini-series. What was the impetus behind pulling Beta Ray Bill into a series of his own?

JQ: Well, we had a lot of great fan feedback about Beta Ray Bill's appearance in Secret Invasion: Thor, and he's one of those characters that fans seem to have a real affinity for. But the story itself -- Beta Ray Bill is on a mission to hunt and kill Galactus -- is going to be packed with action and a helluva lot of fun.Three-issues by Kieron Gillen and Kano, with covers by Patrick Zircher!

Has Bill gone totally %$#^ing insane?! Did The Godkiller Super-Skrull hit him one too many times on the head? I want to know because going after Galactus with the intention of killing him is suicide! It's almost as if they are bringing this series out just so they can off Bill! Say it ain't so!!
#2 Posted by Erik (31685 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. It will be impressive. Especially with him going up against Silver Surfer which is inevitable.

#3 Posted by Fresh Prince (4987 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm going to read this
#4 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio

wow... Bill's gone mad... I'll definitely be picking this one up!

#5 Posted by Fresh Prince (4987 posts) - - Show Bio
For sure Bill won't kill Galactus but it would be interesting to see what happens here
#6 Edited by King Hyperion (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Bill has forgotten what Galactus did to him the last time they met:

I don't know how he could though, I don't think even I would ever forget being hit like that.

#7 Posted by King Saturn (223834 posts) - - Show Bio
Big Ups to Donkeyface  !
#8 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

I will be picking this up.  I love me some Bill!

#9 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"I will be picking this up.  I love me some Bill!"
quoted for the truth
#10 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

Beta Ray Bill has been getting attention of late.  He has a one-shot coming out and now a mini.  I hope they continue the trend.

#11 Posted by deathswitch (475 posts) - - Show Bio

i read the one-shot

and it was pretty good
cant wait till the GODHUNTER!!
#12 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

The garden of eden wasn't too bad

hopefully this mini is good

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say, I liked this much more than I thought I would. I hate most things connected with Thor, but BRB has been the least hated. For some reason I want to like him. This issue helped that happen. I'm glad they have him taking on Galactus the way they are and not having it be him trying to throwdown with him like he stands a chance (and I'm glad he went into it knowing he'd probably die). Gives more reality and weight to it (especially when Thor wimped out and wouldn't back his play). The inclusion of Sword was a nice touch as well and I liked Bill's moral pwning of Brand (glad I got to see her again). I think this is going to go well. 

#14 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Can i ask a stupid question since i dont read thor or any relations to him.

How did BRB get out of the Great Beast dimension

#15 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean from Omega Flight? I don't remember. 

#16 Posted by Serpent (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see him succeed.

Galactus is so old and stale.

#17 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't Wait, though im gonna have to get mine on Thursday :(

#19 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

i always wondered if your name was an homage to bill, i guess so. Fortunately for you (but unfortunate for characters we like) I don't think they will sell out before you get there Thursday.

#20 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep indeed it is. Yeah I know, there should be plenty. I like that fact that he hasn't become stupidly popular like Wolverine though, ive always liked Logan but the level of his fame does annoy me somtimes. Looking forward to the Last Godhunter and a little sad, along with the curiosity at how there going to bring this to an end with one last issue (well for the moment anyway) seems like so many questions have yet to be answered.

#21 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

So what did everyone think?

I thought the whole story was a little rushed to get it finished in three issues.

#22 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:

" So what did everyone think?  I thought the whole story was a little rushed to get it finished in three issues. "

Yeah, for me it was quite a let down. They seemed to establish the foundations for an Epic story only to pull the reins in on 2 and way back on 3. It should have gone on for about 6 or so issues to flesh out the story and for it to earn it's title of 'Godhunter' Overall though I think it wasn't so much rushed but constrained by being 3 issues only, It was good but could have been so much more
#23 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, but I like anything with Big G and the Surfer. I don't think Godhunter represented Bill because those aliens called themselves Godhunters. I mentioned it in the other Bill thread that I think the whole story was just to introduce Bill's new girlfriend that Galactus made for him.

I thought it was cool but so much got left out because of the three issue thing.

#24 Posted by Fresh Prince (4987 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like the ending.

#25 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fresh Prince: well, I think we all kind of knew Galactus wouldn't die. It just seemed like Bill changed his mind really quickly from killing him to saving him. Also I think the Surfer and Stardust would not have had much of a problem stopping those ships themselves, especially with the dire consequences if they failed. 

On another note, this all happened because Galactus destroyed the Korbinites. I just finished reading Star Masters and in it the Axi-Tun killed all the Korbinites. Did they come back somehow? I don't regularly follow Bill so I may have missed something.
#26 Edited by Fresh Prince (4987 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart: What I didn't like was that he made him another Korbinite. I liked it when BRB was the last of his race. Now he's going to go walking around with his girl every time we see him. But that's just my opinion.
#27 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fresh Prince: maybe they will make her an awesome warrior, after all, Galactus didn't create her, he just made a new body for an existing spirit. We don't know her past. Or maybe she will just stay home with the baby Bills. Or maybe, like you say, she will just hang out and drag Bill's character down.
#28 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart:
Well marrage drags everyone down. Even someone as cool as Bill
#29 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked up the TPB a little while back and I loved this.  Bill's plan was madness and awesomeness all in one.  I really liked the scene where Bill could not lift Stormbreaker.  That was a powerful image to me.  Maybe - probably - could have been a four-part series.

#30 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy: agreed
#31 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Regarding Ti Asha Ra.. I think we will see this character develop in a new Beta Ray Bill story in the near future.  After all, these Bill series only come once every few years.  So hopefully we will see something soon!

#32 Posted by Casket (311 posts) - - Show Bio

Will there be any mention of Bill in the Thor movie?

#33 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio
@Casket: I really wouldn't have thought so but they do tip the hat in subtle ways these days so who knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.