Follow

Ben Reilly

Character » Ben Reilly appears in 701 issues.

The second and most successful clone of Spider-Man created by the Jackal. A superhero known as the Scarlet Spider, Reilly later replaced Peter Parker for a time as Spider-Man after he found out that all this time he was the original and not Peter. Ben met his ultimate demise in the fight against the Green Goblin which led to Peter becoming Spider-Man once again, after he found out that he is the real Spider-Man after all.

Off My Mind: Is Scarlet Spider Returning?

• 86 results
    SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By SpidermanWins

That would certainty be cool. They should give his character more depth than they did and bring him back as a more personal character, as a villain.

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By xanthiss

I think it means wearing a hoodie on top of a spider-man costume is always a bad fashion choice! 

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By xanthiss
    Hey I had the same Spider-man bank as the Jackal when I was a kid. 
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By TheMess1428

If that is really Ben in that chamber, it would not make sense for him to say he's perfect. Ben isn't a clone. Peter was. Or are we all getting confused again?

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sammo21

I mean...with Spider Island story arc occurring it could work. I'm fine with Ben Reilly coming back but I am not fine with them saying he's the "true" Peter Parker. That was the backlash not the character itself.

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By xanthiss

First of all saying that people could not relate to Spider-man because he was married is just retarded. That is just like saying I can't possible relate to Thor because I am not a god, I can't relate to Angel because I can't fly, I can't relate to Thing because I don't have rocky stones! I like Professor X and I am not in a wheelchair, its just a factor of his being. I still relate and like the character. Marvel just has a knack for shaking the magic 8 ball and seeing what happens. They throw a lot of crap  to the wall and see what sticks. When Quesada came over to marvel with the whole Marvel Knights thing and rose through the ranks, he actually cleaned up a lot of the Marvel mess. It was easier to follow what was going on. Now, in my honest opinion, it is a hodge podge mess again. Flooding the market with crap from years ago.  Black Panther took over the Daredevil moniker, and his numbering system, while Daredevil enjoyed a 4 part Limited Series, only to return to a 3rd number one issue. Who was the genius who came up with that idea? I even like the Black Panther and was like what the hell is going on? I have read comics for 30 years and I am confused on should I or should I not be reading these books. Maybe they should have Howard the Duck take over the Amazing Spider-man numbering system. How about reading the Amazing Howard the Duck? Don't make much sense does it?  I like Moon Knight as a character, I even read the books but come on how many new series are they going to come out with....is it a once a year thing?  I can go on and on about the confusing mess Marvel is shoveling out there but I will stop with this. 

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#57  Edited By cbishop

Actually, since Marvel and DC have a penchant for doing storylines that seem similar on the surface (for example, "Superman: Reign of the Supermen" and "Spider-Man: Identity Crisis") I could completely see them doing a Spider-Man version of Batman, Inc.  It would make sense that with all of Manhattan infected with spider-powers, that this infection would trigger latent meta-genes (or whatever they're called at Marvel) in some, and the spider-powers would be permanent.  Could a group of Scarlet Spiders be in Marvel's future?  Or one person as the new Scarlet Spider?  Or how 'bout one person posing as the returned Scarlet Spider, prompting the return of Ben Reilly? 

There's so much they could play with, just off of "Spider Island," but when you add the old "Clone Saga" storyline(s) to the mix, there's really too many ways to bring Ben Reilly back.  They brought back Bucky, for crying out loud - the one Marvel "death of no return."  It's ridiculously easy to bring Ben Reilly back.
    GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#58  Edited By GothamRed

I'd like to see his return, I mean kaine came back, so why not him?

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By -Vigil-

The Clone Saga DID suck, but it's not Ben's fault. I actually liked him better than Peter at the time. Bring him back, Marvel!

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By frozenedge2

The burning jacket may mean somebody wearing the Scarlet Spider costume may show up pretending to be Ben but end up causing more bad than good. So in order to atone for his mistakes, he tries to become a hero, dies, and in respect to both him and Ben, Peter burns the Scarlet Spider costume so nobody has to die as the Scarlet Spider.

Sparky_Buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Sparky_Buzzsaw

If they bring back Ben Reilly, at some point in the future (mind you, I'm thinking years), it'd be interesting to see him with the Venom symbiote. I don't exactly know where this train of thought is going or what I'd like to see from such a storyline, but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

Then again, at some point or another, I've pretty much thought everyone in the Marvel universe would be interesting with the symbiote. Venom-Thanos? Venom Squirrel Girl? Venom Superpro?

34t efsdfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By 34t efsdfs

I sincerely hope they bring Ben back, there's too much potential with this character to just ignore him. 

Okay, and I've been waiting for his return for ages too.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Bring him BACK!
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Suigetsu

He should had been the clone and stayed in the Marvel Universe. Being and acting as the un-married spider-man looking for a gig and stuff.
    unfortunately Joe Quesadilla it's not as creative as he think he is.

But alas here we are, in the age of jerk edito in chiefs. That love to bite the hand that feeds them.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Daveyo520

I want him back.

Rabbit_May_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Rabbit_May_Cry

Ben Reilly and Black Cat anyone? I mean it would be the answer to HER dreams.

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By waruikumo

I'm not gonna front, as a kid i preferred the Scarlet Spider aesthetic to spider-man's.  Especially the so called Sensational Spider-Man costume.  Unfortunately, I can't bear to read Spider-man any more.  To me ASM has been so inconsistent, and so regularly released, I just can't afford or tolerate it.  Yes Grim Hunt was the best stuff since JMS's stuff (yes I am aware of the Stacy children clones, prior to that with JRJR it was well "Amazing"). 

I really wish marvel would stream line the characters continuity.  And not just half baked attempts after half baked attempts.   

sigh, and Ult Peter Parker is lost to us to.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Pete Spidey is busy teaming alot now days so why not bring Ben back and have  it so Spidey is always about in New York.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
    deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It would be awesome if they brought him back :)

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

I hope they don't do to him what they did to Kaine.

No Caption Provided
    SnowyMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By SnowyMountain

I just also remembered another point that several people in the discussion made in that Peter seems to be just about everywhere these days.  I mean it was one thing when Wolverine was a member of the X-Men and the Avengers, but it seems that everybody is now on multiple teams these days!  

Wolverine is part of Cage's Avengers as well as the main Avengers team, he leads X-Force, plus he also hangs around the regular X-Men; Spider-Woman is doubling up as part of SWORD and the Avengers and the Beast is the same, only he's part of the Secret Avengers; the Thing is a member of the Future Foundation and Cage's Avengers; Luke Cage is doubling up as the leader of his own team of Avengers and the Thunderbolts.

Spider-Man is part of the Future Foundation and Cage's Avengers plus the main Avengers team.  Now he also apparently patrols on his own plus he works at this Horizon Labs.  And unlike all of the other guys I just mentioned; he still maintains a regular life and identity as Peter Parker.  I realize that Marvel probably likes this and wants to have Spider-Man to have as much exposure as he can, but I have a tough enough time finding enough time to do everything in my life; I can't imagine how Pete manages to juggle all of those balls at the same time. 

That said, having Ben return to life would enable them to pass off some of Pete's extracurricular activities.  He could take on Pete's place on one of the Avengers rosters or maybe even get the current Scarlet Spider, one of the MVP clones to take it up.  It makes a bit more sense than to have Pete running around everywhere as he seems to be doing these days.  When you think about it; a lot of the Marvel characters have secondary characters with near identical powers and identities; Iron Man has War Machine and Rescue; Steve Rogers has Bucky Barnes/Captain America; Namor has Namora and Namorita; the Hulk has his cousin Jennifer Walters, his son Skaar, his daughter from another timeline Lyra, the Red Hulk and the Red She-Hulk; Nova has an entire Corps flying around with identical powers and costumes; and even Hawkeye has a teenager kid with the same name running around (unless she came up with another one when I wasn't looking).  

It's not huge a leap as to have more than one Spider-Man running around.  A version of Venom is back, not to mention the Anti-Venom.  And I think that MVP clone is still around ... though I haven't seen him much lately.   Bringing back Ben wouldn't dilute things and frankly, they might be able to tie off or resolve some of those plot holes and knots that the entire Clone Debacle created ... provided that Marvel has managed to figure out a way to fix things.  Sometimes their patches work and sometimes make things even more baffling and confusing.  I mean, I'm glad that they resurrected Steve Rogers, but I could not understand why they expect us to believe that the Red Skull came up with such a convoluted scheme by freezing him in time?

ScytheClawB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ScytheClawB

If he comes back, I want him to look like he did before Peter was 27, as well as having red eyes and blond hair. As well as being called Spider-Boy.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By NateDogg

i dont get the backlash. i liked scarlet spider growing up. Would love for a return.

mrtrevorguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mrtrevorguy

that would be great to see, but at the same time, why can't people just stay dead, damnit

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#75  Edited By SuperXAsh

It's gonna be Uncle Ben. XD Nobody stays dead in comics.

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#76  Edited By Comiclove5
    @spaceboy said:
    I 've said it before: Ben being alive but captured  would solve maaany plot holes.
    Yes it will!
    Avatar image for the_hooded_hero
    The Hooded Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By The Hooded Hero
    @Planewalker said:

Maybe if Ben returns we can have a Spider character in the west coast, different scenario could be a breath of fresh air

I would like to see him come back. This what Planewalker said would be even cooler idea. 

Another Spiderman I want to see come back is 2099 along with the xmen of 2099
    GoldenEagle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78  Edited By GoldenEagle11

I'm a big fan of the Ben Reilly character and I'm hoping for a return!!  Maybe even Mary Jane will keep her powers from Spider Island and we can finally get her and Pete back together, even if it is just dating.

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By blur1528
    @GoldenEagle11: I concur.
    Major Canuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By Major Canuck

Please don't please....I had a headache reading maximum clonage and the whole who's the real spiderman?! That was bad and it should stay dead!

FNspiderdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FNspiderdan

i hope they bring him back, but it seems as if they'll kill him. i hope not though. i agree we need spidey 2099 back! and @waruikumo you are trippn man! Dan Slott's run on ASM will be the best when it is done. 

rolvtd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By rolvtd

I'm gonna do what no one did (and what no one really wants) and combine the 2 things people hate into one (it's like Peanut Butter cups in reverse):

One More Day - Mephisto makes EVERYONE lose their memory of Peter Parker = Spider-Man.   
    Clone Saga - If Tony is right, and the REAL Ben is alive, what happens when HE doesn't remember that Peter Parker = Spider-Man?

Mind blown yet?

P.S.  I haven't read the most recent Spider-Man Comics lately....is there any evidence that Jackal knows that Spidey=Peter Parker

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Primmaster64

I really miss Ben

Meat_Spinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Meat_Spinner

They should haved see done this INSTEAD!!! of 1 MOAR day :(  Pete could stay with ol' Humpty Dumpty while Ben could get it on with highschool...erm...BlackCat i would Heart to the return of SS 
    BenReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BenReilly

What the.....I was saying all of this wayyyyyyyy back when it happened the first time 'round! Would anybody listen to me? Nooooooo. Bah.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By CATPANEXE
    ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#87  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

I would love to see the Scarlet spider make his Return and STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THE MANTEL OF SPIDER MAN. I think this is what lead to him being killed off in the first place. entirely too much involvement with the Parkers, and when he put on the spider-man costume I just knew he would be dead within a year :(

BRING BACK BEN!

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By thespideyguy

@crash_ said:

It would be awesome if they brought him back :)

the new is going to be kaine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.