Off My Mind: Is Scarlet Spider Returning?

• 88 results
Posted by G-Man (34334 posts) - - Show Bio
What does this image mean?!?

Scarlet Spider is a character that had a lot of potential but due to a misunderstanding was quickly swept under the carpet. Spider-Man is Marvel's most iconic character and it makes perfect sense to try to expand on his popularity. The creation of the Scarlet Spider was a way to deliver another Spider-character virtually identical to Spider-Man, especially since he was a clone. Peter Parker was married but Ben Reilly wasn't. Having two Spider-Men would have taken care of the concern that readers wouldn't be able to relate to a married hero which caused the end of Peter and Mary Jane's wedding.

The decision was made to have the Scarlet Spider be the original Peter Parker while the one that everyone had been reading since Amazing Spider-Man #149 was actually a clone. This outraged some readers and the decision was made to kill the Scarlet Spider.

I've already gone into detail about how his death didn't make sense. The spider-clones all had a genetic defect that caused their bodies to dissolve. Ben Reilly was the only one without that defect. Having his body dissolve upon his death makes no sense because he did not have that defect. My theory was Norman Osborn had yet another clone created to die in Ben's place while keeping him captive as another way to get revenge against Spider-Man. The problem with this is Norman today doesn't know Spider-Man's identity. Keeping Spider-Man's clone captive would reveal his identity. With the teaser that Marvel released at San Diego Comic-Con and the current storyline, there is another way for the Scarlet Spider to return.

== TEASER ==

Norman Osborn isn't the only one that deeply hates Spider-Man. There was another man involved with the Clone Saga that despised Spider-Man/Peter Parker as well. Professor Miles Warren, a.k.a. the Jackal. Warren was a college professor of Peter and Gwen Stacy's. Warren had fallen in love with Gwen and blamed Spider-Man for her death at the hands of the Green Goblin. When his lab assistant reached success in cloning, Warren tricked his assistant into using a DNA sample he had acquired from Gwen back when she was his student and the human cloning had begun.

The Jackal attempted to create several clones of Spider-Man (again from a DNA sample obtained when he was teaching). He even made clones of himself. Because of his hatred for Spider-Man and the lengths he would go to, having the Jackal be the one that is keeping an alive Ben Reilly captive makes more sense. Because he has already made several clones of the same subject and was working on a way to be able to clone people and control them, he could have created a Ben Reilly clone and convince it that it was Ben and to make a noble sacrifice.

The Jackal could be sitting back enjoying the fact that Peter and Ben became as close as brothers and he was the one to separate them. Peter thinks he died and that's something he has to deal with. He will continue to have to live with the guilt...unless the Jackyl's plans change or Ben manages to escape.

The image of the burning spider-hoodie raises some questions. Marvel has teased the return of the character such as having Peter use the name as an alias, releasing the Clone Saga miniseries, etc. Apparently when asked at San Diego Comic-Con if Scarlet Spider was coming back, the response was "no." Could Marvel have been...lying? What if Ben Reilly will return but not in his Scarlet Spider guise (hence the symbolic burning of the hoodie). Or does the burning mean they're are finally putting an end to any and all speculation of his return?

The image of the fire leads you to believe that it won't be a happy time. If Ben has been a captive of the Jackal (or someone else) all this time, he would have to be a little bitter. Could he be angry that his brother never found him? We don't often see Peter mourning over him (most likely because we're not supposed to think about him). Peter's lost a lot of people close to him over the years but hasn't said much about losing Ben,

The Jackal's current scheme involves infesting all of New York with spider-powers. Despite Marvel firmly saying the Ben Reilly won't be coming back, Amazing Spider-Man #666 makes it hard not to think that it could be him Jackal is about to tinker with. But given the image and dialogue, it would make sense that Ben...the real Ben, has been in captivity or on ice since the end of the Clone Saga.

Unfortunately my gut is telling me Marvel won't bring Ben back. Because of all the backlash they got in saying Ben Reilly was the true Spider-Man, Marvel might believe it's best to let him rest in peace rather than open up a potential can of worms. If handled correctly, there is such potential in another Spider-Man character. He might not be for everyone but why kill off a franchise possibility that many fans want to see. Every now and then a new Scarlet Spider toy is released or reference is made in a comic or video game. Marvel needs to stop teasing his return if they have no intentions of delivering. Isn't it time to finally bring Ben Reilly back for good?

Staff
#1 Posted by CanterburyCricket (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, please, please let this be the Scarlet Spider. *crosses fingers*

#2 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Ben return, I think he was one of those characters that just suffered from coming around before his time. Back then a big convoluted storyline and big surprises and a character replacing another one were all frowned upon, but now those are the things that comic fans love. Not to mention his life on the road and the tragedies he went through make for great stories. (also on a side note, if Ben Reilly had stuck around then that means that Peter could have stayed with Mary Jane, because then Quesada could have still gotten the single spiderman he always wanted)

#3 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Great!
I still say he was the best part of the whole Clone saga debacle :P

But from the few pages I've seen of the upcoming Spider-island thingie, it seems his sweater his hear to indicate other clones/spiders are coming back rather than him. (Kaine....Ezekiel..)

#4 Posted by Tchokes (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it could be done.

Ben was a great character, had his own personality and didn't overlap with Peter at all. Even nowdays he would be more mature and probably act as an older brother, since he didn't get Quesada'd. I like him dealing with old enemies and new ones alike.

#5 Posted by leokearon (1806 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Ben does return, he was and still is popular over here
#6 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

Please be true! I loved Ben Reilly!

#7 Edited by Dernman (15112 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Ben Reilly at the time and thought he was the best thing about the clone saga but..... 
I just don't want him back. I'm just not a fan of copies. Whether it is Spider-Man, Batman, or any other character.
 I just don't like it.

#8 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay what if Marvel told the truth but the half truth?  As is is Scarlet-Spider returning? No, but is Ben Reily returning?  See what I mean.  Ben can just assume a new superpersona

#9 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
I liked Ben Reilly at the time and thought he was the best thing about the clone saga but.....  I just don't want him back. I'm just not a fan of copies. Whether it is Spider-Man, Batman, or any other character.  I just don't like it.

Exactly THIS is what I was thinking, there is no reason to bring him back...
But, if he backs I don't want that his stories converge with Spidey stories...
#10 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:
@Dernman said:
I liked Ben Reilly at the time and thought he was the best thing about the clone saga but.....  I just don't want him back. I'm just not a fan of copies. Whether it is Spider-Man, Batman, or any other character.  I just don't like it.
Exactly THIS is what I was thinking, there is no reason to bring him back...But, if he backs I don't want that his stories converge with Spidey stories...
But what if they were to bring Ben back as "Scarlet Spider", but with a brand new skill and power set?  I think that people just want to see him back, and the suit back.  They don't necessarily want there to be two Spider-Men just because.  They want a character to come back that's been dead for just about as long as a comic character can be without coming back.
#11 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix
But if he backs there is a HUGE posibility that he would be Spidey's suporting character... 
I like him to get his own stories, but not with Peter....
#12 Posted by TheShame (477 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a lot of potential within Reilly; for e.g.Ben could take the place of Miguel within the spider society (i.e. could act as a mentor for Spidergirl) or he could become a staff member for Avengers academy.

#13 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

man G, there are times I really wish you were doing the writing cause you got more ammo than they do it seems :)

#14 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like Ben to return and put on the Iron Spider armor, maybe even join the Thunderbolts or some other team.

#15 Posted by hitechlolife (194 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Scarlet Spider could survive better in today's comic world. In the last few years we've had two versions of Batman, Captain America, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider, Black Panther, etc etc running around. While in the 90s the idea of a second hero moving in on someone's turf might have been scary for readers - I don't think that's true today.

#16 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope he comes back. Such a great character.

#17 Posted by Teerack (6383 posts) - - Show Bio

He's part of Youth in Revolt currently.

#18 Posted by Planewalker (326 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if Ben returns we can have a Spider character in the west coast, different scenario could be a breath of fresh air

#19 Edited by Golden Cod (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Kaine

They brought Kaine back not too long ago so it's not outside the realm of possibility to see Ben Reilly too.   Plus they referenced Ben with that recent Raptor villain.
#20 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio

I 've said it before: Ben being alive but captured  would solve maaany plot holes.

#21 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm 
Spider-man 
Scarlet Spider 
Kaine(Depending on keeping him alive) 
Spider-girl 
One more spider-member and we could have a family
#22 Posted by SnowyMountain (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit that I liked Ben when he first appeared.   He was an interesting take on a retelling of the Spider-Man history.   The fact that the clone of Spidey had actually survived and had been in hiding all this time made for an intriguing and compelling storyline.   However, Marvel really dragged it out and made all sorts of plot twists and mindf**ks that I got totally lost and confused and it really turned me off to the character; not to mention that I hated the part when they tried to make it seem like Ben was the REAL Spider-Man and not a clone.  

Still, I think that was more to the confusing storyline and rather than the character.   I wouldn’t mind seeing Ben back … provided they do it right.   Personally, I don’t buy the fact that he has spent all of this time captured by Norman Osborne or the Jackal and they faked his death to screw with Peter … I think they pulled that stunt with Aunt May and Mary Jane on two separate occasions.   It’s a bit of a old and tired attempt to solve the problem.

From Bad...

To Worst Dressed Hero

That said, if they do bring Ben back, I pray that they have the decency to give him a new and better costume.   One of the things that I also despised about him was that he had some of the WORST costumes I had ever seen.   One of Ben’s powers was clearly not fashion design.   His first make-shift costume with the torn sweatshirt didn’t even seem to qualify as a real costume to me … and that Spider-Man suit he came up with was just awful.

I also hope that they make him different and not just a copy of Peter.   One of the things that I actually genuinely enjoyed about the Scarlet Spider was that he had those neat Impact Webbing and Spider Stingers.   He needs something to differentiate himself from Spider-Man, not just a replacement.

#23 Posted by craigbo180 (196 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think a day goes past where G-Man doesn't think about the return of the Scarlet Spider.

#24 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

I just started reading Spiderman during the Big Show arc. Anything thing before that i wasnt very fond of. 

Lately the series has been great and i think i would like Ben even more. I think they could have done it ok i just think they messed up trying to replace the real Spiderman. When they started confusing everyone is when they got in trouble. They just need to make it clear cut that Peter was and is the true Spiderman and not a clone of anyone while Ben is the cloine but has become like a brother to Peter. That wouldnt be hard to understand and i think would make for good stories in the long run. Just think of what Peter has come up with since he started his new job. I would love to see what they come up with together. 

Unfortunetly from the scan above, if that is Ben in the tank then that means it is probably to late for him. Im not sure if Jackal is trying to mutate him or just make his test subjects stronger but it doesnt sound like it will be a good ending for him and sounds like he will be fighting for the villains. 

I havent been following the infestation arc but i might have to pick it up to get in to this. This looks good
#25 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, no Ben Reilly, but we've already had the return of Scarlet Spider(s), right? 
   I know that the above costume isn't incredibly popular either, but it beats the pants off of the hoody.  

Honestly, the Clone Saga was one of the worst runs ever. It's what drove me into the arms of Spider-Man 2099—because one knock-off Spider-Man is as good as another and hey, dystopian future superheroes are awesome—and it was around that time that I got out of comics totally, for years. It made me cringe every time clones were used as a plot device (which, incidentally, made it tough to be a Star Wars fan during the prequels).  

But...does that mean I wouldn't want to see Ben Reilly again? Not necessarily. Sweeping things under the rug doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather something be redeemed than left as a tangled mess in continuity. Hence me wanting the Sentry to be brought back by somebody who cares about the character and doesn't just want a "Crazy Thor Stand-in" to play around with. 

If I can love MIguel O'Hara, then I can learn to love Ben Reilly, but they have to make some author saving throws to explain the mess that went on in the 90s and streamline the story (including fixing their previous saving throw, Ben Reilly's nonsensical death).  

They also need to make Ben different personality-wise from Peter in a meaningful way. He can't just be "unmarried Peter Parker," especially considering Parker's new, single status quo. One of my biggest disappointments when they brought back O'Hara for Timestorm was that they dropped his unique personality and made him just a young Peter Parker. If these spin-off (pun intended) Spider-Men are going to just be Peter Parker then there's no point in writing them back into continuity. A clone is just a twin and I know enough twins to know they can be totally different personalities. 

--- 

Wow I typed so much without answering the question. 

I don't think the return of Scarlet Spider is likely because they get just as much drama from a tease or near-return without any of the backlash of a real return.

#26 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Ben will return, and end up marrying Mary Jane.

#27 Posted by Condriac (4 posts) - - Show Bio
@Planewalker said:
Maybe if Ben returns we can have a Spider character in the west coast, different scenario could be a breath of fresh air
YES bringing him back but relocating him would be awesome
#28 Posted by cold_fuzion (167 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to have him back. Maybe he could take Pete's place on one or two of the teams he keeps joining.

#29 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xenozoic Shaman said:
That would be funny.
#30 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@craigbo180 said:
I don't think a day goes past where G-Man doesn't think about the return of the Scarlet Spider. 

agreed

@SnowyMountain said:

I admit that I liked Ben when he first appeared.   He was an interesting take on a retelling of the Spider-Man history.   The fact that the clone of Spidey had actually survived and had been in hiding all this time made for an intriguing and compelling storyline.   However, Marvel really dragged it out and made all sorts of plot twists and mindf**ks that I got totally lost and confused and it really turned me off to the character; not to mention that I hated the part when they tried to make it seem like Ben was the REAL Spider-Man and not a clone.  

Still, I think that was more to the confusing storyline and rather than the character.   I wouldn’t mind seeing Ben back … provided they do it right.   Personally, I don’t buy the fact that he has spent all of this time captured by Norman Osborne or the Jackal and they faked his death to screw with Peter … I think they pulled that stunt with Aunt May and Mary Jane on two separate occasions.   It’s a bit of a old and tired attempt to solve the problem.

From Bad...

To Worst Dressed Hero

That said, if they do bring Ben back, I pray that they have the decency to give him a new and better costume.   One of the things that I also despised about him was that he had some of the WORST costumes I had ever seen.   One of Ben’s powers was clearly not fashion design.   His first make-shift costume with the torn sweatshirt didn’t even seem to qualify as a real costume to me … and that Spider-Man suit he came up with was just awful.

I also hope that they make him different and not just a copy of Peter.   One of the things that I actually genuinely enjoyed about the Scarlet Spider was that he had those neat Impact Webbing and Spider Stingers.   He needs something to differentiate himself from Spider-Man, not just a replacement.

I couldn't really disagree with you more about Ben's Costumes. I always thought they were far cooler than Spider-Man's costume. I I loved his scarlet spider costume. His spider-man costumes wasn't my favorite but it was definitely cooler than Peter parkers. But the popularity of his costumes actually extends to May Parker.
#31 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
But the popularity of his costumes actually extends to May Parker.
This actually makes me like that costume less. When I see it now I think "yay! Mayday Park— awww. :("
#32 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: If I had my way it would be a blonde ben reilly, with the original scarlet spider costume.
#33 Posted by alejandrosato1977 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he will return as another Brand New day re-write, after all, his death was after the wedding, and if they brought back Harry Osborn, i guess everything can happen

#34 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I have fond memories of Ben Reilly and Scarlet Spider, but I totally don't remember this whole "real Spider-Man" thing. Maybe I was too young ... or didn't buy enough issues!

#35 Posted by red_rover (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xenozoic Shaman said:
GOOD PLAN!!
#36 Posted by Fluffy6079 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love for the Jackal's mystery man to be Ben, but It just doesn't add up if you really think about it.   Here's what I posted on Marvel's message boards about why I think it's Ezekiel and not Ben: 

Clue #1:

"For all my years of obsessing over Parker's DNA, I have to admit I'd always dreamed of studying this prime specimen."

Ben Reilly was the perfect clone of Peter Parker.  They shared the exact same DNA.  What else is there to study?  Basically, he's saying, "Yeah, I'm obsessed with Peter Parker, but I'd love to study this completely different specimen."  "Prime" is the key word here, and it's used intentionally.  It can mean first in excellence, quality, or value, which totally sounds like Ben in that regard.  It can also mean first or early in time, order, or sequence.  So he could mean, "Yeah, I'm obsessed with Peter Parker, but I'd love to study this spider-person who came before him."  The only person I could think of that fits there is Ezekiel.

Clue #2

"...the REAL firstborn of this era...."

I can see where this may look like he's talking about Ben, but the way it's worded lends itself as a misdirection.  "Era" could mean era of the clones, but it could also be the era of the spider-people.  

Clue #3  

I admit, I may be looking into this a bit much, but when the prime specimen was...um...spiderized, he turned into a big, gray spider.  Grey.  Grey could have been used because this person is old.  Of course, it could be arbitrary.  I mean, the Hulk was grey a few times.  

In conclusion, while I would absolutely LOVE it if they were to bring Ben Reilly back, I just feel that the wording here was intentionally misleading.  Dan Slott knew that with the Jackal and Kaine involved it would be easy to incite Clone Saga and Ben Reilly thoughts in readers by tweaking his words.  He knew that's where long-time readers would go in their minds, otherwise he would have just revealed it in this issue instead of giving us a few way-too-obvious teases to sit on until the next issue.

#37 Posted by krotosclone (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe he is the really Spider-man.    Long live the Scarlett-Spider!!!!!!!!

#38 Posted by crowncoke (206 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that 'Ben' could be brought back as the Scarlet Spider.  Or even bring him back and not have him be another character but Spider-Man. 

Instead of having Peter complaining about being spread too thin on many teams, have 2 Spider-Man split up on the teams (on on Future Foundation and another on the Avengers).  Then they can both work as Spider-Man and Peter is not spread so thin as to be useless.  Plus it adds some flavor to things getting mixed up as people see Peter (or Ben) and mention something only to see him later and have him (the other one) not know what they meant or have him miss appointments with friends and family only to be seen walking nearby.

#39 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

I too have a thing against Dupe characters. I liked Ben but I didn't like Scarlet Spider, which I guess means that I (more specifically all of the readers that felt the same way I did) was part of the reason Marvel decided to make him the real Peter. But I HATED the idea that Ben was the real deal and Peter the clone.  

For all its blatant 90s-ness, I liked parts of both of Ben's costumes. I liked the simplicity of Scarlet Spider's costume, even if the sweatshirt looked stupid served no purpose, and seemed to give villains something to grab easily and pull over his head like a jersey in a hockey fight. And, I never thought I'd say this, but Spiderman is a character who could feasibly use pouches on his legs. Yes they look stupid, especially on Stephanie Brown's thigh, but think about how many times you see spiderman hanging upside down in his iconic pose. If he's upside down with both hands and feet around his web, you think it's easier for him to grab something out of a belt pouch under his costume? Heck naw, a whole stash of spidertracers from a pouch on his ankles is way more convenient. If he wasn't always hanging from ceilings it would make no sense and be nothing more than "EXTREME 90s fashion," but Scarlet Spider actually merited them.

This pose actually justifies leg pouches.

When he took over as Spiderman so Peter could spend more time with his family, The regular costume was feeling a little dated, but revamping it entirely would've felt wrong. I really like the larger spider logo and the extra web fluid around his wrists. How many times did Peter run out of webbing (usually while web-slinging), have to check his compartment in the waist of his pants, find out he was out of his backup too, and have to bounce off an awning or do some fancy maneuvering to avoid becoming gravity's bitch? (answer: I can think of at least a dozen instances) Ben not only carried a lot MORE web-fluid, but he could see how much he had at all times. Also, the web shooter wasn't under his gloves it was on the same wrist-strap as the extra fluid. which meant if he DID have to switch out cartridges he didn't have to fumble around beneath his costume at all. And whether fighting a villain or crashing to earth at 9.8 meters (32 feet) per second per second, EVERY SECOND COUNTS. I think Ben's costume fits the character way better than the Iron Spider, the FF costume, or any of Pete's new Big TIme costumes.
#40 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

oh i hope they bring ben back that would be so awesome

#41 Posted by illmatic06 (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a twist that is going to mess with everyone. SO far the assumption is that ben reilly may appear in the mainstream 616 Marvel.  

What if the poster is referring to the appearance of Ben in the Ultimate Universe? Keep in mind PEter is dead in that universe.
#42 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio
@illmatic06: I don't think so, I don't think anybody in Ultimate Comics wore that hoodie. Plus, Ultimate Ben sucked!
#43 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

I say bring him back, take the Scarlet Spider identity and costume from Michael and give it back to Ben, then put Ben on the Avengers and New Avengers.....this puts Ben in the spotlight without forcing him to be solely an Amazing Spider-man supporting character.....plus recently they've been saying that Peter's strain of being on 2 Avengers teams, The FF, working for Horizon, patrolling, and his social life will be addressed.....having Ben back and putting him on the 2 Avengers teams would free up some of Peter's time allowing him more time to focus on his other activities...if we can have 3 Wolverines, 7 Hulks, 2 Captain Americas, and 2 Hawkeyes...then why can't we have 2 Spider-men

#44 Posted by SirSparkington (342 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Ben come back. He was one of the unfortunate victims of "THATS NOT THE (Insert bronze/silver age character here) I KNOW!!!!! NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

#45 Edited by bigsoto74 (216 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

I say bring him back, take the Scarlet Spider identity and costume from Michael and give it back to Ben, then put Ben on the Avengers and New Avengers.....this puts Ben in the spotlight without forcing him to be solely an Amazing Spider-man supporting character.....plus recently they've been saying that Peter's strain of being on 2 Avengers teams, The FF, working for Horizon, patrolling, and his social life will be addressed.....having Ben back and putting him on the 2 Avengers teams would free up some of Peter's time allowing him more time to focus on his other activities...if we can have 3 Wolverines, 7 Hulks, 2 Captain Americas, and 2 Hawkeyes...then why can't we have 2 Spider-men

I agree... 

Dont forget  
3 Iron Men...Iron Man, War Machine and Rescue.  
4 Thor's .. Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Thor Girl, and Thunderstrike (I counted Thunderstrike since nobody ever really dies in the Marvel Universe) 
2 Beasts 
OMG the list can go on...lol
#46 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure would be an unexpected turn if Marvel brought Ben back, but yeah like you I don't think its going to happen either.

#47 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben was awesome.

#48 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fantasgasmic said:
I too have a thing against Dupe characters. I liked Ben but I didn't like Scarlet Spider, which I guess means that I (more specifically all of the readers that felt the same way I did) was part of the reason Marvel decided to make him the real Peter. But I HATED the idea that Ben was the real deal and Peter the clone.  

For all its blatant 90s-ness, I liked parts of both of Ben's costumes. I liked the simplicity of Scarlet Spider's costume, even if the sweatshirt looked stupid served no purpose, and seemed to give villains something to grab easily and pull over his head like a jersey in a hockey fight. And, I never thought I'd say this, but Spiderman is a character who could feasibly use pouches on his legs. Yes they look stupid, especially on Stephanie Brown's thigh, but think about how many times you see spiderman hanging upside down in his iconic pose. If he's upside down with both hands and feet around his web, you think it's easier for him to grab something out of a belt pouch under his costume? Heck naw, a whole stash of spidertracers from a pouch on his ankles is way more convenient. If he wasn't always hanging from ceilings it would make no sense and be nothing more than "EXTREME 90s fashion," but Scarlet Spider actually merited them.
This pose actually justifies leg pouches.

When he took over as Spiderman so Peter could spend more time with his family, The regular costume was feeling a little dated, but revamping it entirely would've felt wrong. I really like the larger spider logo and the extra web fluid around his wrists. How many times did Peter run out of webbing (usually while web-slinging), have to check his compartment in the waist of his pants, find out he was out of his backup too, and have to bounce off an awning or do some fancy maneuvering to avoid becoming gravity's bitch? (answer: I can think of at least a dozen instances) Ben not only carried a lot MORE web-fluid, but he could see how much he had at all times. Also, the web shooter wasn't under his gloves it was on the same wrist-strap as the extra fluid. which meant if he DID have to switch out cartridges he didn't have to fumble around beneath his costume at all. And whether fighting a villain or crashing to earth at 9.8 meters (32 feet) per second per second, EVERY SECOND COUNTS. I think Ben's costume fits the character way better than the Iron Spider, the FF costume, or any of Pete's new Big TIme costumes.
I totally agree 100%. 
#49 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9071 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it may mean that the Scarlet spider is returning but you never know what Marvel has up their sleeves

#50 Posted by Decept-O (7278 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor G-Man. More wishful thinking.

OK, all joking aside, I actually think you have some good reasoning concerning Ben Riley so it would be very interesting if any of what you speculate were to happen. If not Scarlet Spider, perhaps Ben may return with a different alias? It could happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.