serberus08's Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #2 - The Hand that Mocked Them...!; The Curse of the Crimson Corsair: The Devil in the Deep, Part Ten review

Ozymandias King of Kings

Jae Lee is, in my opinion, one of the top tier artists in comics today. I only wish that he did more series but the problem with that is that his gorgeous art style would be associated with a possible bad story. Something I liked about this issue was Ozymandias doubting himself and not 100% ready for his first acts as a vigilante. We see him, for a little while, not as confident as the world's smartest man tends to be. For me, another positive point was how the style of the text was very much like the Watchmen, and that each text box had that classic pulp feel. The heavily deep and luscious art form of Lee is just amazing in setting the tone of the dark and seedy places that he has to go to get the answers he desires.

I'm not familiar with Len Wein's writing but I found it quite good, though not the same level as the first issue. I assume it was hard to live up to the success of the first issue. I also thought that in my watchmen comparison of text that the paneling was in a modern style, which I found fitting and in good use for the direction of the book.

I like how the story goes to an investigation of the Hooded Justice's disappearance around the decent of the Minutemen, I was always interested in this area and now I get to explore it in the next issue.

All-in-all the Modernity of the panels, mixed with the rich Watchmen-like text and the endless tranquility and placid quality of Lee's art this series is going to be a great few more issues.

Edited by Webjaker

I loved this issue, except for the final page, the art differed and the character presented did not look right at all - almost as if drawn by someone else.

That, and what does the cover have to do with...well anything?

Posted by Serberus08

@Webjaker: Haha very true. I can't wait to see the next issue though. I'm really exited to see what happens in his search for the hooded justice.

I think, on a very long shot though, that the symbolism of his quest for justice for his love, also i think he feels as though his vigilantism is sort of a guilty pleasure. That's just my take, though.

Other reviews for Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #2 - The Hand that Mocked Them...!; The Curse of the Crimson Corsair: The Devil in the Deep, Part Ten