No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By No_Name_

The Good

I think one of the things that I haven't really enjoyed about the other BEFORE WATCHMEN titles is the fact that they all seem to just re-tell the story already told by Alan Moore in WATCHMEN. Sure, they add things to these stories and flesh out some of the characters, but they are not as interesting or as compelling, I think, as what Darwyn Cooke is doing in BEFORE WATCHMEN: MINUTEMEN. This series has been a complete masterpiece, and the fourth issue in this series is no different. Cooke takes the subtle hints and clues about the characters in Moore's WATCHMEN and virtually makes them his own; and this issue is proof of that fact. It feels like Silhouette is Darwyn Cooke's character the way he's taken her and molded her into this incredibly strong and compelling woman who not only stands for women in this series, but for the Lesbian and Gay community. Beyond that, she is this saint; a protector of children. It's a truly beautifully written issue.

The story of Silhouette unfolds, as well as her relationship with Gretchen. In this issue the reader discovers what led her to build a relationship with Gretchen and what eventually proved to be her downfall. Beyond that though, Cooke molds Silhouette into more than just a really great character; she becomes the glue that holds the Minutemen together. Once that glue is removed, things begin to fall apart. I think that's crucial to this story, and it really becomes evident here through this issue.

Darwyn Cooke also takes these characters that are clearly not the best people (namely The Comedian and Sally), and gives them redeeming qualities. There's a great scene where The Comedian is talking to Holly, and we see that he's no longer the punk kid he used to be -- that there is some good in him, even if he is sort of tortured and a little bit messed up in the head.

Then, there's the art. It's absolutely breathtaking. There are clues in Darwyn's panels that in themselves tell a story and leave you earnestly wanting to continue reading. This issue, like the ones before it, gets you hooked and really pulls on your heart strings. It's very sad, and poignant; and if you can read between the lines you'll see that there's a much darker story just beneath the surface. This issue is a perfect example of that.

The Bad

Absolutely nothing. Hands down one of the best comics I have read this month.

The Verdict

This isn't just a great comic, it's a brilliant story about the human condition. Sure, Alan Moore created these characters, but Darwyn Cooke has breathed new life into them and made them his own. This series has been exceptional, and this issue will definitely be hard to top. The characters are complicated, and deep; and there is this crazy, dark story just waiting to be devoured if you just look beneath the surface of what's in front of you. I love the way that Cooke uses his pencils and his art to push the story forward. To clue the reader into things that are there just beneath the narrative. I'm falling in love with these characters because of the way Cooke is capturing them in this series, and this issue is the best example of why. This comic is gorgeous, and I absolutely recommend picking up this series from the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.