Director Shane Acker To Adapt Dark Horse's BEASTS OF BURDEN

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been a while since we heard anything about a movie adaptation of Dark Horse's BEASTS OF BURDEN. In fact, it's been well over a year. Back in June of 2011 THR had reported that director Andrew Adamson (SHREK) was tied to the project, but there has since been very little information released; until recently, that is. According to Deadline Oscar-nominated director Shane Acker (9) will be adapting the comic book series written by Evan Dorkin and illustrated by Jill Thompson for the big screen and the currently untiled film based on the comic will be done in CG.

For those unfamiliar with the comic book, the story follows a group of four-legged furry friends who have made it their responsibility to protect their owners from the threat of the supernatural. The story is a mystery that follows the disappearance of some of the puppies, and it's up to a "rag-tag" team to get to the bottom and solve things. The four-issue series that was first released back in 2009 won Eisner's for both the Best Short Story category as well as Best Painter. Hopefully, when adapted, the movie will do the original comic justice.

What do you think? Would you watch a BEASTS OF BURDEN movie? Do you think director Shane Acker is the man for the job?

Source: Deadline

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v never read it but that sounds kinda great

#2 Posted by lady_toyano (162 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I didn't know it was a series because there is only one issue at my comic shop, but i really enjoyed the thought of the pets working together to keep there people safe. Then the who supernatural element took it to another degree. I mean that poor dog that could see what the sheep really looked like. Talk about night terrors. Made me wanna go home and hug my cat... If she wasn't such a cat about hugs.

#3 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio

This could turn out really good. I look forward to it. Really liked the Beasts of Burden stories I've read.

#4 Posted by MSzekeresh (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoy this series and am cautiously excited that it may become a movie. Still concerned over certain potential pratfalls in regards to the tone of a film and practical issues like CGI and voice work but excited none the less!

#5 Posted by JonSmith (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

People can get THIS stuff greenlighted but DC and Marvel can't get a Justice League Dark or Deadpool movie?!

#6 Posted by weenman1 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to scoop up those Dark Horse Book of Hauntings!

#7 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting I must say, but yeah like others it makes me wonder why its okay for something like this can be OKed for adaptation but other titles can't. I'd give it a chance though, sure!

#8 Posted by Trodorne (2583 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be great if they made it into an animated feature film like they did with the Hellboy animated movies.

#9 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, sounds pretty interesting actually :).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.