Follow

Beast

Character » Beast appears in 9636 issues.

A founding member of the X-Men, Dr. Hank McCoy is a mutant possessing animal-like strength and agility. Despite being covered in blue fur and resembling a ferocious beast, Hank possesses an astounding intellect and a superb wit. He is currently a key member of X-Force.

What is beast

Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Weapon-Alpha

So what exactly is he supposed to be iv seen his features look canine,feline, and crosses between the two and some i cant explain and ones where he basically looks like a blue yeti what do you guys think he is?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Original human form.

Cat-like form during Morrison's run after his "secondary mutation".

The classic "Beast" look.

He's had quite a few different looks over the years. I prefer the classic look personally. He's still a mutant but due to outside circumstances, secondary mutations, etc his look has changed from time to time.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Well there was his human form 
    then his simian form(classic beast, human hybrid) 
    then his second mutation made him more feline(really hate the mutation, doesn't make sense with prior mutation)

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Thunderscream

His original power was agility complimented by larger hands and feet, otherwise he looked human. 

Then his experiments turned him into the gray Beast making him slightly more simian with greater strength, eventually the color became blue. 

Then Sage jumpstarted his latent "Secondary Mutation" making him feline, enhancing his senses (not my favorite) 

Now there's some artist that makes him look like a horse :(

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tigerex78

His appearance has changed over the years so it depends on which time frame you refer to.  The short answer is that beast is a mutant.  What he resembles has changed over time.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @Jake Fury said:
    " Original human/ape form.
    No Caption Provided

Cat-like form during Morrison's run after his "secondary mutation".
    No Caption Provided

The classic ape/Gorilla "Beast" look.
    No Caption Provided
      He's had quite a few different looks over the years. I prefer the classic look personally. He's still a mutant but due to outside circumstances, secondary mutations, etc his look has changed from time to time.  "
    fixed. He's retroactively evolving. Cassandra Nova suggested he may devolve into a worm eventually
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thunderscream
    @Metatron_Da_Don: A worm? Are you sure she wasn't just being metaphorical? Wormlike referring to his mental capacity as he devolves?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Metatron_Da_Don said:
    " Cassandra Nova suggested he may devolve into a worm eventually "
    How unlike a woman to say something cutting & derogatory... I don't think that she was aiming for accuracy, but for something that would last longer & eat away at his long-term self-confidence (which was already fading at that point after that public break up with Trish over the 'bestiality' comment & fake gay rumours ;).
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @xerox-kitty:  @Thunderscream:no I think she was suggesting that the 2nd mutation wouldn't be his last. A 3rd mutation is unlikely though.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Metatron_Da_Don said:
    " @xerox-kitty:  @Thunderscream:no I think she was suggesting that the 2nd mutation wouldn't be his last. A 3rd mutation is unlikely though. "
    I slightly agree... but at the same time go back to what I was saying before.  I felt like it was a snarky suggestion that he would continue to "evolve" or rather de-evolve into something that wasn't intellectual & also non-athletic; the antithesis of what the bounding & intellectual Beast stands for.
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @xerox-kitty: 
    Yeah those words did some damage

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Metatron_Da_Don: Now I wanna hug him... Poor Beast!
    THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30
    @Metatron_Da_Don said:
    " @xerox-kitty: 
    Yeah those words did some damage
      "

LOL
    Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

He is "supposed" to look like a feline now. Generally a lion as the hair on his head still grows longer like human hair.  However, not all artists are as good at drawing cats as others.  Beyond this the extent of his feline atributes have not been established or enforced by Marvel.  The size of his ears, the length of his muzzle, length of his teeth: they all vary depending on who is drawing him.

Furthermore, depending on who is holding the pen, Beast will have different numbers of fingers.  Some draw him with four fingers, others with the normal five (which is the only one that makes sense because even cats have five digits)

Anyway, regarless of what he may look like at anyone point, he is meant to look like a big cat.

Which I actually prefer, I can't understand all the people who don't like his new form.  It brought so much to his caracter, was a great way to get rid of Trish, and was a device to power him up and bring him closer to the bigger guns.  The only reason I imagine all the hate for his current lok must come from dog people.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Beast_in_the_Shadows said:
    "Furthermore, depending on who is holding the pen, Beast will have different numbers of fingers.  Some draw him with four fingers, others with the normal five (which is the only one that makes sense because even cats have five digits)"
    I remember something being said in Uncanny X-Men about him regaining the use of a posible thumb... But I had no idea when that changed or whether it was more bizarre continuity made up without explanation by Matt Fraction.
    RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By RLAAMJR

a jaguar?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By fesak  Moderator

I prefer cat-Beast, and i must say i'm surprised that he's kept this form for so long since apparently many people working at marvel wants old Beast back.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @fesak said:
    "i'm surprised that he's kept this form for so long since apparently many people working at marvel wants old Beast back. "
    I'm surprised too!  So many things in comic boko revert to the way they were before.  It's only a matter of time before every character comes back from the dead, the X-Men move back to Westchester & Beast looses his rounded gerbil/kitty looks...
    Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think the comic companies are very aware that dramatic changes getting reset all the time are annoying to readers, but at the same time they know that they can't make big permanent changes to beloved characters without protest from the same fans.  So, the big characters that everyone loves get the eventually happy ending and always will return to their original state.  Wolverine will always get his adimantium back, Cyclops will always have the hot psychic girlfriend and so on.  Then we have the secondary characters who aren't hated by the fans, but who also have a limited group of devoted fans.  These characters get to have the tragedies, or the dramatic changes that last, so that people will care, but not enough that they want them undone.  For such reasons Vic sage will probably never get resurrected (damn it) and Beast will remain his catish self (I can only hope).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.