Ben Walker Leaves Beast Role For X-Men: First Class

• 55 results
Posted by G-Man (32093 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly have no idea what to make out of the upcoming X-Men: First Class movie. We know that James McAvoy will be Professor X and Michael Fassbender will be Magneto. We've been hearing rumors of Emma Frost, Mystique, Moira MacTaggert and even Multiple Man being in the movie. But what about the actual "First Class" X-Men ( Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel and Iceman)? (Although there has been another rumor that since Josh Hutcherson lost out on Spider-Man, he's maybe being considered for Cyclops).

Ben Walker was mentioned by Showbiz411 as getting the role of Beast in the movie. The latest now from ShowBiz411 (via CBM) is that deal has gone bust. It looks like Walker has decided to skip out on being Beast in favor of reprising his starring Broadway role in "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson."

The question I have now is, will Beast be recast or dropped altogether from the movie? With the rumors of the other mutants, I can't help but wonder what this movie will be about. There's also been talk that scenes are supposed to take place in South or Central America.  It's probably for the best that Walker is out given that he's only 3 years younger that McAvoy. Maybe they'll cast younger. ShowBiz411 even mentioned that apparently Fox has been looking at other actors and supposedly checked Taylor Lautner's availability. I'm starting to get scared.

Thanks to Hpwaz for sending us this tip!
Staff
#1 Posted by Namor1987 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

Sucks for him huh

#2 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7667 posts) - - Show Bio

We seem to be hearing a lot about this movie, none of it that good.

#3 Posted by HumanScorch (1 posts) - - Show Bio

http://thehumanscorch.wordpress.com/2009/12/20/how-to-make-a-proper-superhero-movie/

Argue with me later.  If they knew what they were doing I wouldn’t have to write this, now would I?

1. Assemble a production team that has knowledge of, and respect for, the source material.

Don’t put people together that have no idea about the backstory, the mythology, or the motivations of the character. *cough*”I never read the comic as a kid”*cough* is NOT the guy to hire. You need writers, directors, producers and crew that have some idea of exactly who they’re writing, lighting, and costuming.

2. KNOW. WHICH THINGS. TO TWEAK.

Yes, comics and movies are two different mediums, and everything won’t translate directly, the audience knows that. But you have to know which elements need to be non-negotiable and which elements can be modified or eliminated while still maintaining the core of the character. *cough* Catwoman *cough* Elektra

3. Cast it right. FAMOUS NAMES DO NOT MAKE US WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE MORE.

I can’t get over the profound ignorance when it comes to this one. Audiences want to see an actor made up to look like the character walked right off the pages of the book. Not actors who are waaaay too young to be who they’re portraying, or a race/ethnicity change that makes no sense OR DIFFERENCE, or ignoring basic fundamental characteristics of the physicality of the hero. HINT: WONDER WOMAN IS NOT BLACK. OR BLONDE. And casting Beyonce as Diana will not make us want to see the movie more. Jessica Alba is not Sue Storm and she didn’t make us want to see the movie more. Dumbasses. And they didn’t even TRY to make Jennifer Garner look like Elektra(hint: Ms. Natchios has jet black curly hair). Unknowns are better, but when you do cast a big name, make sure they are a dead ringer for the role, a la RDJ as Tony Stark or Patrick Stewart for Professor X. NOT HALLE BERRY AS FRICKIN’ STORM.

4. Get the costume right. Get the origin right. Get the powers right. Get the personality right.

There are REASONS that popular characters ARE POPULAR. Sure their costumes, origins, and powers have evolved over time, but there are some core elements that people identify with the character, and it won’t feel like the hero without them. Superman is not dark, his costume colors are not maroon and dirty blue, he’s not a stalker, or a peeping tom, or a deadbeat dad. What the hell is wrong with you people? Batman doesn’t have nipples on his suit.  Wonder Woman is not black, and she doesn’t wear a jumpsuit. Dr. Doom WAS NOT IN THE SHIP WITH THE FANTASTIC FOUR, you fantastic morons. Nor was Doom a businessschmuck in a suit. Ever. And did I mention that Jessica Alba is not Sue Storm and she didn’t make us want to see the movie more? Dumbasses.

5. STOP MAKING THE DAMN MOVIE BE ABOUT THE VILLAIN.

Every damn movie that the Joker is in, the movie ends up being about him. I am SICK of seeing my favorite hero trumped and chumped at every possible turn by the villain, and also feeling like the hero is a guest star in his own damn movie. I want to see the hero kicking ass, and being competent. NOT every damn nook and cranny that the villain is doing and how “brilliantly evil” he or she is. Is that too much to ask?

6. Balance the action, CGI, and character development.

One movie that did this almost flawlessy, even though it wasn’t a superhero movie, was The Matrix. We cared about the characters, the action was kick ass, and the CGI didn’t detract from anything that was going on.

7. Master the basics. People want A COMPELLING STORY.

All of the flash and the hype doesn’t mean anything if there’s no story underneath…but that little fact seems to escape today’s film makers. A story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. If you want people to emotionally invest into this world for two hours, then they want to have a satisfying emotional conclusion to the journey, even if there’s a set up for a sequel.

This stuff is not rocket science. Maybe there’s so much damn ego in Hollywood that you don’t understand how life works. If you give people what they want, they’ll give you what you want. Audiences aren’t stupid. We know that all you care about is money, and any way that you can milk a franchise for more profit, you’ll do it. This is not news. But what you don’t seem to understand is that if we have movies that we enjoy, that take us on a profound emotional journey, and that have repeat playability, then we’ll pay money to experience them.

SO TAKE SOME TIME AND READ WHAT I’VE SAID AND GET THE SUPERHERO MOVIES RIGHT. 
#4 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18853 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie would be a HUGE fail without any of the first five.

#5 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

They'll just recast Beast if he's in the story.

#6 Posted by comix christian (85 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to be that guy, but if Taylor Lautner's in this movie i aint gonna' see it! 
Well that's a lie, i'm problay still gonna see it, but if twillight is what there amaing for with this movie, then it's really going to suck! 

Again, hate to be that guy...but this movie just sounds more and more like a trainwreck waiting to happen...
#7 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" This movie would be a HUGE fail without any of the first five. "
#8 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@HumanScorch:  Have you read my blog about DC Universe movies? You really should and tell me what you think, based on what you said. 

And I would like to add that this movie is being too rushed to work right. And please no Taylor Lautner. Just because he played a werewolf, does not make him good for Beast. Taylor Lautner does not look like a young Kelsey Grammar.
#9 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio
@HumanScorch:
Very good points and well said.  Could not agree more.   

#10 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
"This movie would be a HUGE fail without any of the first five. "

I completely agree.
#11 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

Josh Hutcherson isn't wiry enough to be Cyclops. 

Or tall enough. 

Last time I checked, anyways. Cute kid, though.

#12 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

if he opted out in favor ot REPRISING a role in a Broadway show 
a less-than-famous Broadway show 
I have to imagine the script or concept weren't all that great 
#13 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to be in a marvel movie who would wanna leave it for broadway

#14 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@brendon277:
someone who's seen X-Men: Origins and got a little scared that they were going to make a terrible film
#15 Posted by Solitaire (45 posts) - - Show Bio

One would think that a movie bearing the title X-men: First Class, would be a movie based off of it's comic book counterpart of the same name. Frankly, I think that would be an awesome movie right there, An origin story for the first five brought to the big screen. The original five were, and still remain, some of my favorite X-men. Sadly however, it looks as though all it will be taking from its namesake is just that, its name.

#16 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Solitaire:  
I think it is supposed to focus on the core 5, but like every fricken marvel movie....it has to have cameos 
so they'll throw whatever name they can pull off of wikipedia and dress some extra up like and stuff them in the background somewhere 
or kill them off 
or make them do something they can't actually do 
just to screw over the fans of said character 
and ruin their chances of being in anything else  
.....sigh.......
#17 Posted by excalibur5150 (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a crazy idea.  How about taking what the 3 movies gave and making new stories (Movies) out of them.  The way I hear is there's going to be X-Men:First Class, (Which to many movie goers are considering X-Men 4) with all new actors portraying Magneto and Prof X and then after that, the REAL X-Men 4 is going to come out with the actors of X-Men 3 taking place after X-Men 3, not after First Class that came before X-Men 4. *scratches his head*  

The Revamp Mentality is out of control in comics and movies and because DC and Marvel were able to get away with it in the Hulk and Batman franchises, they want to do it with every franchise.  All these revamps are going to do is turn off movie goers by and large (not fanatics) from ever seeing anymore comic based films.   I already have friends who aren't comic fans that watch previews in theatres and say that movie looks pretty good but grimmace and sigh when they see at the end of it "A DC Comics Film" or "Marvel Films".  Film goers shouldn't have that gag reflex already, there's too many films that haven't been made yet, and I'm afraid that the great films that are yet to come, WON'T be made on account of the CRAPPY ones that ARE being made.
#18 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

Taylor Lautner would make a good Beast.
People will complain, but WHY!? he's a decent actor and has an awesome body with great muscles. Yet they'd complain about them casting a skinny actor? Those haters are just stupid.

#19 Posted by zombietag (1493 posts) - - Show Bio
@HumanScorch: they MADE you write that?!
#20 Posted by durrtyotter06 (5 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb: i agree taylor would be perfect he just needs to stop shaving
#21 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2240 posts) - - Show Bio

I would assume they aren't casting without having a script or at least some idea of what the story is going to be, they wouldn't start casting Emma, and Jean, and Scott, and Charles, and Beast, and Angel, and Magneto, and Banshee, and not have a story yet would they?

I hope not.  I also would be unsure and a little worried about casting a Twilight star

#22 Posted by MrMazz (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Fox is trying to hard to keep the rights to this segment of the Marvel U i dont expect much out of this. I enjoy all of Matt Vaughns movies and the casting for X and MAgneto are cool but really why are they saying Emma Frost and everyone else is in this movie?  

X2 was great because of the story and the writing 

#23 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@durrtyotter06 said:
" @Cherry Bomb: i agree taylor would be perfect he just needs to stop shaving "
Finally, someone agrees! [:  I'm not the only one, lol.
But true, people look at Twilight's cast and immediately criticise them. When let's not forget ... the cast have acted before Twilight. :S  and will still act. Grrr, those people really annoy me
#24 Posted by durrtyotter06 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

i know before twilight taylor was in that very cheesy movie the adventures of shark boy & lava girl
and i forgot but someone wanted him for a movie i forget what it is and people talk shizz bout the twilight movies because they don't like the way vampires are being portrayed in it but i would love to see Taylor all hairy and blue in a yellow speedo kickin ass and taking names

#25 Posted by CaptainGenisVell (297 posts) - - Show Bio
@HumanScorch: Bravo

If they aren't going to do a movie based on the actual material why bother use that name in the first place. I will see once it''s done, if this project is worth being called a comic-book movie
#26 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see Hutcherson as Bobby.

#27 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@durrtyotter06 said:
Has he started yet? He looks like a twelve year old on steroids.
#28 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

GOOD! I don't even know why they're even making this movie.

#29 Posted by XFan616 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Taylor looks NOTHING like the Beast. If they cast him, it'll only be so all the horny Twilight girls will channel their sexual frustration at THIS movie, instead of whatever other project Lautner might be doing. Also, they WILL NOT be using the original five X-Men from the comics. They killed that. Iceman and Angel were teenagers in the movies. From what we can gather, the original X-Men were Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, and Beast. It is possible there were others such as Emma Frost, Multiple Man, Banshee, and maybe even Mystique or Gambit.

#30 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone please give me a list of reasons why Taylor Lautner should be in this movie, and no "he played a shapeshifting wolf in the  twighlight series" does not count.

#31 Posted by DustinFun1704 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG I reallly really hope that they don't drop Beast from the movie entirely!!! And if Taylor Lautner is cast as a character in X-Men First Class I will NOT go see it.

#32 Posted by Big (330 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks sweaty and boring anyway.
#33 Posted by The Impersonator (5359 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:
good point
#34 Posted by Gun (5 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't use the current cat-looking version of the Beast, I'll be happy.
I'm kinda tired of this version of him in the comics. 
I'm really surprised they stuck with it so long.
I want the old one back.

#35 Posted by Madwelshboy (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont get why people actually think that this will be the actual "First Class" of X-Men. When the movie has been descirbed as a "prequal  the original x-men trilogy", where the movie versions of both Angel and Iceman are too young to have been part of the movieverse first class.    
#36 Posted by bmank17 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

they cant call this x-men first class if they dont have the first class x-men...SO THEY BETTER BE THERE!!!

#37 Posted by ZaberCat (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope its good.

#38 Edited by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@ForbushBug said:

" @durrtyotter06 said:

Has he started yet? He looks like a twelve year old on steroids. "
He has a little bit of a stubble in Eclipse actually! 

@Big said:

" @Cherry Bomb: That dude is weak, and is just a bimbo-magnet. "

weak? he'd beat you in a fight ;) lol
#39 Posted by Edamame (28075 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't bother me.  It is interesting to see different stories, not just repetitions of old ones. 

#40 Posted by X-93 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

U can'y call it first class if u are not going to have the original x-men.  They screwed that up when they made ice-man a kid in the first three.  Stick to the comic guide lines and future movies and spin offs will not be so hard to make and cast for.  They also will not have to keep going all reboot or prequel with these stories and scripts.   Just stick to the original stories / origins of characters and super teams.  Not really that complicated.

#41 Posted by bunnyonthemoonlol (29 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate it when how hollywood creates a masterpiece,such as the first 2 x-men movies,and then begin to saturate its gloriousness with unnecissary sequel after sequel.and they NEVER even come close to being as good the originals.ya know i think its about time we rise up & STOP hollywood from desecrating the idols,icons & stories we hold so dear!!!! i can just see myself lighting a cigarette off of the burning remains of universal, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
#42 Posted by The Average Bear (2072 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" This movie would be a HUGE fail without any of the first five. "
Agreed. Like a Spiderman movie, starring the Thing
#43 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

"In other news  [:  Mystique will definately be in this movie, YAY. Since model/actress Jasmine Dustin posted on her Twitter a while ago that she was auditioning for 'Rebecca Romijn's' part in X-Men: First Class.

"On my way to my X-Men Audition .. I think I can pull of Rebecca Romijn's character ... just a younger version!Wish me luck!"

#44 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy: 
I had the same thought. Since Last Stand, the X-Men franchise has gone to shit. Smart move i think.
#45 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@Big said:
" @Cherry Bomb: You wouldn't think so if you saw me. Why do you think I'm "Big" Besides, muscles aren't everything, but I guess, as a bimbo, you wouldn't understand that. *Oh SNAP!* XD "
I think your over-compensating by having 'big' as your username and by the way, this 'bimbo' just pwned you. *OH SNAP*
#46 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
@HumanScorch: I love u
#47 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb: Okay label me a hater but Taylor is a HORRIBLE freaking actor.
#48 Posted by Big (330 posts) - - Show Bio
@DustinFun1704:
Right on!
#49 Posted by bob agent of agency x (207 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is going to be as bad as WOLVERINE! 
Im praying for the day that Fox loses the rights, and the X-men finally get justice by Marvel Studios.

#50 Posted by IronPatriot78 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about this film.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.