Follow

Beast Boy

Character » Beast Boy appears in 2004 issues.

The classically green-skinned member of the Doom Patrol and later the Teen Titans, Beast Boy has the power to transform into any creature of any size.

Why is Beast Boy orange?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I haven't read The Ravagers, but I noticed on the cover that Beast Boy is all of a sudden orange. Why is he orange, isn't it better to have him green as he used to be? What does Comic Vine think?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I haven't read The Ravagers, but I noticed on the cover that Beast Boy is all of a sudden orange. Why is he orange, isn't it better to have him green as he used to be? What does Comic Vine think?

he's red and it had something to do with the Red from Animal Man and Swamp Thing but they haven't really explained why....if I remember correctly they've said that he'll soon be returning to his green color but don't quote me on that...it's early and I could easily be making something up in my head

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ccraft

@themanintheshoe: BB new origin was that he was an alien from a planet called Klah'enmore, the people there were all orange most of them can't change into animals, but he was able to for some reason. I have no clue why. But they sent him off to space and he crash landed on Earth. This is all in the zero issue.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

Beat Boy is red because the force that Animal Man uses for his powers is called "The Red" and it's red, so the writers figured it would make sense to make BB red to give him a link to The Red.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    No Caption Provided

dont worry, he's going back to the color green soon

@ccraft said:

@themanintheshoe: BB new origin was that he was an alien from a planet called Klah'enmore, the people there were all orange most of them can't change into animals, but he was able to for some reason. I have no clue why. But they sent him off to space and he crash landed on Earth. This is all in the zero issue.

are you serious? DC said his color was supposed to have something to do with the Rotworld storyline?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@avenging_x_bolt: I haven't heard anything of that, haven't you read the zero issue?

I think that him turning green might have to do to Earth and all the green stuff thats here such as trees, plants, and grass. (which like you said had to do with the rotworld storyline) Where on Klah'enmore the plants and the trees where orange.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@avenging_x_bolt: I haven't heard anything of that, haven't you read the zero issue?

nah. i havent really read anything with him in it in the new 52.

I think that him turning green might have to do to Earth and all the green stuff thats here such as trees, plants, and grass. (which like you said had to do with the rotworld storyline) Where on Klah'enmore the plants and the trees where orange.

thats one theory, i suppose. sigh.oh DC, how is his portrayal in the series.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

Thanks, it helped. I'm glad he turns green soon, sort of iconic for him.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By fodigg

I like the unification of lore with the Red, Green, Rot (gray) that they did. I like that much more than the "emotional spectrum" over in GL. (Note: my problem with the emotional spectrum is the "emotions" selected don't make much sense, not the idea of multiple corps.)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@ccraft:

@ccraft said:

What the heck are you talking about?? That wasn't in the Zero issue. Logan was taken by Harvest who did experiments on him, awakening his metagene, which turned him red (not orange) Harvest said his metagene allowed him to tap into a unknown energy field (the Red) which is why he can turn into animals.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By xybernauts

Personally, I prefer the version of Beast Boy from Young Justice. I think that's the best origin that I have heard thus far. I think the idea that he got his power from a blood transfusion he got from Miss Martian is awesome. Of course I haven't actually read any other origins so...

@fodigg said:

I like the unification of lore with the Red, Green, Rot (gray) that they did. I like that much more than the "emotional spectrum" over in GL. (Note: my problem with the emotional spectrum is the "emotions" selected don't make much sense, not the idea of multiple corps.)

Technically the Rot is referred to as the Black not the grey. I like the concept for the Red, Green, and the Rot (Black) also and I also have a problem with the concept of the emotional spectrum. What don't you like about it? I do like the idea of multiple corps though.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fodigg said:

Technically the Rot is referred to as the Black not the grey.

Is it? I remember them calling it "the gray" in place of the Rot for Earth-2. But then they've been pretty inconsistent with what exactly the Rot is.

I like the concept for the Red, Green, and the Rot (Black) also and I also have a problem with the concept of the emotional spectrum. What don't you like about it? I do like the idea of multiple corps though.

Well, it could be my just being a grammar pedant, but when I think of concepts like "will", "avarice", and "compassion" I don't think of them as emotions. Even "love" is a little abstract. Once you add "life" and "death" to the mix, it's pretty clear you're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. I realize they couldn't really get away from "will" since it was the GL thing, but they should have found a way around it.

I'd rather they contextualize these concepts differently, such as by labeling them as "motivations" or something, or pick different emotions. The former is probably the way to go as the categorization of emotions is tricky to begin with. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrasting_and_categorization_of_emotions)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@ccraft said:

What the heck are you talking about?? That wasn't in the Zero issue. Logan was taken by Harvest who did experiments on him, awakening his metagene, which turned him red (not orange) Harvest said his metagene allowed him to tap into a unknown energy field (the Red) which is why he can turn into animals.

yeah...I was thinking that sounded wrong but I was at work and had to wait to get home to double check....I don't know where ccraft got any of the alien stuff at

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

@ccraft:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@ccraft said:

yeah...I was thinking that sounded wrong but I was at work and had to wait to get home to double check....I don't know where ccraft got any of the alien stuff at

He was bragging in a pm about how he made it up to troll people

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

@the_stegman said:

@ccraft:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@ccraft said:

He was bragging in a pm about how he made it up to troll people

that should be at the least a warning towards being banned

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Personally, I prefer the version of Beast Boy from Young Justice. I think that's the best origin that I have heard thus far. I think the idea that he got his power from a blood transfusion he got from Miss Martian is awesome. Of course I haven't actually read any other origins so...

I actually hated that explanation. It just barely explained his powers but brought up more questions than it answered. I mean like why it turned him green when M'gann is a pale martian.

A lot of people have countered that she was green when the transfusion happened, but if that's the case then he shouldn't have gotten any powers at all since she transformed her blood into human AB- blood for the transfusion to begin with. Also why would his transformations turn him into animals When M'gann in the show could only do variations of a humanoid form . The most different shapes she could make were human with multiple arms and her natural martian. She even said she had trouble doing male humanoid forms.

Just didn't really make sense. Beast Boy's abilities and limitations were too diverse to tie convincingly to accidental pale martian origins.

However, it is still miles better than his current origin in the DCnU. Now his entire origin is, he had an innate meta-gene, a bad guy tweaked it it gave him powers unique to himself.

His old origin was great because it was an experience that only Gar, with his unique past and situation could get. I hate blanket origins for several heroes like meta-genes (simply DC's answer to mutants) I like heroes with origins specifically tied to them, constructed exactly with the purpose of giving them their unique powers.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xybernauts

Well, technically human genetics is ALOT more complicated than that and Martian DNA, I don't even want to imagine how complex that would be. That's the simple answer.

You're assuming she has more control over her DNA then she may actually have. The transfusion was a medical experiment with unforeseen consequences (as Beast Boy's powers illustrate). The purpose of the transfusion was to just save Beast Boy's life. It wasn't meant to give him powers or turn his skin green, yet it did. The same logic can be used to explain Beast Boy's other powers.

While Miss Martian is a white martin and isn't a green martin, she spends most of her time in the form of a green martin. Maybe because she spends so much time as a green martin, that form is the dominate form in the DNA she gave Beast Boy. It's like exercising a muscle. The muscle you exercise the most is the strongest. For her the "metamorphic muscle" she exercises the most is her green martin form so that is the form that was dominate in the DNA she gave Beast Boy.

And while Miss Martian may not have the aptitude to take animal forms this does not mean she doesn't have the ability to become animals. Perhaps Beast Boy simply has the mental aptitude necessary to change into animal forms and that Miss Martin doesn't or maybe the combination of his DNA and Miss Martin is responsible or perhaps there was a third factor like the activation of a metagene. To me what makes this a good origin is the unpredictable and random nature of DNA. That's why this origin makes sense to me.

eternalnature

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

miss martian shape shifting takes place at the celluar level. As stated in the show. She was currently in a mixed form between earthling and human. She shifted her blood to match his. The metagene took this along side his life with animals and thus he became a green shape shifter.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's red beacuse H.A.R.V.E.S.T has awoken his metagen that means he has a conection with the red (animal world) like animal man that is explained in zero issue an Rotworld there shows the experiments that they do to him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.