Follow

Beast Boy

Character » Beast Boy appears in 2006 issues.

The classically green-skinned member of the Doom Patrol and later the Teen Titans, Beast Boy has the power to transform into any creature of any size.

Thoughts on this?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kidchipotle

If you haven't seen the Young Justice Solicits for May posted by Babs yet, go check it out! The Ravagers announced the RETURN of Beast Boy! If you suspected that it was the hairy red guy on the right, you were correct. But he's RED now? What is going on?! Thoughts people? I for one am very shocked. This seems like a more "realistic" choice buuuuutttt I miss the green.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

A red Beast Boy? I wonder if it's still Gar? Or if it is, how they can explain it... of it they'll bother ;)

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree
    No Caption Provided

They said that the redness was due to the goings on in Animal Man. I hope it doesn't stick, I love his green look.

I do however, like his new costume. I always thought that the red and white looked off, I prefer his purple and black suit the most though.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By RedK

@The_Tree: i don't think that the costume will be permanent, cause it looks like some of the others have a similar design and in Superboy Fairchild was captured by N.O.W.H.E.R.E. so i assume that they escaping for captivity and those suits were for monitering them while they were jailed.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_tree

@RedK: I don't think it's permanent either, but I like it for the time being.

I can't wait until all of these characters get out of Tron suits.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

@The_Tree said:

I kinda like the tron suits. Not enough for them to be permanent, but they're not bad. I think Ravagers should keep the tron suits. Maybe some of the titans. Deff not RR, though. His looks horrible.

EDIT: What happened in Animal Man that caused Beast Boy to turn red...?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_tree

@ArturoCalaKayVee: It's not known, the Ravagers writer just said it's because of the events transpiring in Animal Man, and said nothing more.

I'd actually like Tim's suit more if he went back to his pre-relaunch costume.

This kicked ass
    This kicked ass

I wouldn't mind if the Ravagers kept the Tron suits, making them look like a more organized team,but maybe took the lights off of them and left the colors.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kidchipotle

@The_Tree: I don't like the cowl he wears. It's too weird looking with just a bald surface. If he could have pre-FP RR suit with the domino mask then it would be better. AKA no wings and yes cape.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_tree

@ArturoCalaKayVee: I don't know, I liked it for everything. A domino mask may be all right, but I've always liked the cowl more because it comes off as more mature and better hides his identity. But I don't really like his relaunch costume, it feels really disconnected from the bat-family.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RedK

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The_Tree said:

I kinda like the tron suits. Not enough for them to be permanent, but they're not bad. I think Ravagers should keep the tron suits. Maybe some of the titans. Deff not RR, though. His looks horrible.

their is something Happening in Swamp thing which is affecting the Green called the Rot which affects all dead things, it also carries over to Animal cause his powers come from the Red which is all animal life. essentially the Rot is trying to take over the balance that has existed between itself and the Red and Green. don't know if this is clear enough, it's sort of hard to explain, and the story is still going on

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kidchipotle

@RedK: That was pretty clear. I had no idea Swampy and Buddy were so connected.

@The_Tree: The cowl definitely made him look more mature, which is why I think I didn't like it. Like when he was in costume, he looked like an adult but then he removed the cowl and he was a teen again. It threw me off a lot. With the domino mask, he looks like a teenager at all times. Thats why I like it better, but thats just my opinion. But the new 52 costume definitely disconnects him from the batfamily. I think thats what they're going for, but I don't really know. I just want them to be all connected again and working together. Hopefully in the future they'll release a batfamily title, much like Gotham Knights, in place of one of the other unnecessary bat-titles. At this point, each member is too disconnected, they need to work together.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_tree

@ArturoCalaKayVee: Yeah, hopefully this whole Night of the Owls arc pulls them together. If not that, then it'll probably be Batman Inc.

I've still got fingers crossed for another Red Robin series soon.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

@The_Tree: UUUGGGHHHH I cannot express on this site how much I hate Batman, Inc. ahahahaha. I want a Red Robin solo series so badly but I'm pretty sure they're considering the TT book to his series

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ReVamp

Also, Terra + Beast Boy > Raven + Beast Boy.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By PrinceIMC

Iiiiiinteresting. So they aren't all new characters. I think/hope this will be good.

Feniks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Feniks

I like the new look.

Punisher007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Punisher007

How dare they change his ethnicity from green to red! ;)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The_Tree said:

I would presume Beast Boys power comes from "The Red" just like Animal Man's
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kidchipotle

@spiderbat87 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The_Tree said:

I don't think they do. Unless that's what "is happening" in the pages of Animal man... (refer to RedK's comment)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The_Tree said:

I don't think they do. Unless that's what "is happening" in the pages of Animal man... (refer to RedK's comment)

I don't see why not, The Red is connected to all living things and Beast Boys powers are essentially the same as Animal Mans
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kidchipotle

@spiderbat87 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The_Tree said:

I don't see why not, The Red is connected to all living things and Beast Boys powers are essentially the same as Animal Mans

I honestly have no idea what The Red is other than it gives people with animal powers their powers....? I think?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@The_Tree said:

I don't see why not, The Red is connected to all living things and Beast Boys powers are essentially the same as Animal Mans

I honestly have no idea what The Red is other than it gives people with animal powers their powers....? I think?

Its the Life Web, the life force of all living things.
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kidchipotle

@spiderbat87: What does that entail?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@spiderbat87: What does that entail?

What do you mean?
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedK

@ArturoCalaKayVee: think of the Red as the entire morphogenetic field that connects all living beings and allows people like animal man and beast boy to access it

Avatar image for greencrapweasel
    greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By greencrapweasel

holy crap! I am going to be soooooo pissed if Beast Boy is now red..........my favorite color became green the moment I decided Beast Boy was my favorite superhero. I am happy if he does finally make a return to the dc universe

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@spiderbat87: I can see where you are going, but Gar's powers are nothing like Animal Man's. Gar transforms into animals, While Buddy can harness their abilities while retaining a regular human shape. Besides Gar being green has nothing to do with his powers. He is green because of the Sakutia virus he contracted as a child. His powers came from the treatment his parents designed so that he could survive the virus. If he turns red because his powers are animal based, then so should Buddy and Vixen and all other animal themed DC characters.

The only reasons they are changing his color is either to color code him with the red (which is kind of insulting to readers if they think we need thing to be so literal) or because they want to make him angry/feral/angsty like he was in his brief Flashpoint appearance.

Either are unnecessary in my opinion. I don't mind all the characters getting new costumes, even tho they are all rather hit or miss, but Gar is the only one I've seen so far whose physical appearance has changed.

The best I can hope for is that the red thing is something that will go away after whatever storyline in Animal Man that caused it is resolved...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Beast_in_the_Shadows said:

@spiderbat87: I can see where you are going, but Gar's powers are nothing like Animal Man's. Gar transforms into animals, While Buddy can harness their abilities while retaining a regular human shape. Besides Gar being green has nothing to do with his powers. He is green because of the Sakutia virus he contracted as a child. His powers came from the treatment his parents designed so that he could survive the virus. If he turns red because his powers are animal based, then so should Buddy and Vixen and all other animal themed DC characters.

The only reasons they are changing his color is either to color code him with the red (which is kind of insulting to readers if they think we need thing to be so literal) or because they want to make him angry/feral/angsty like he was in his brief Flashpoint appearance.

Either are unnecessary in my opinion. I don't mind all the characters getting new costumes, even tho they are all rather hit or miss, but Gar is the only one I've seen so far whose physical appearance has changed.

The best I can hope for is that the red thing is something that will go away after whatever storyline in Animal Man that caused it is resolved...

It's already confirmed that it's because of The Red so, yea.
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87: I know they have confirmed it is because of the red. I'm saying that it makes no sense for his color to change because of the red because his green color wasn't the origin of his powers. Ideally the procedure that gave Gar his powers, could have been performed on anyone to give them the same powers. The reason he is green was because he was infected with Sakutia before his parents gave him the procedure.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Beast_in_the_Shadows: well thats company wide reboots for ya
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87: I suppose so. Doesn't mean I have to like it lol

Anyway, the only reason i would accept the Red changing Gar's color but none of the other animal based heroes would be if he somehow tapped deeper into the Red and became an avatar or living embodiment of the Red.

However since Buddy is basically the poster boy for all things "Red" I doubt they would let Gar become more powerful with it.

Still hope the color change is temporary.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@spiderbat87: I suppose so. Doesn't mean I have to like it lol

Anyway, the only reason i would accept the Red changing Gar's color but none of the other animal based heroes would be if he somehow tapped deeper into the Red and became an avatar or living embodiment of the Red.

However since Buddy is basically the poster boy for all things "Red" I doubt they would let Gar become more powerful with it.

Still hope the color change is temporary.

Buddys daughter is the avatar of the Red. We'll just have to wait and see how BB is handled 
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#33  Edited By cbishop

As much as I hate for origins to change, Gar's has never made a lot of sense, and I think that's why DC keeps messing with it. Personally, I've always thought it had everything to do with the green snake that bit him actually being a Martian. <shrugs> But that's just an idea I like, not anything from the comics. ;)

Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: I don't know if any of his origin didn't make sense, in comic book terms I mean. I mean first he caught a disease (a very outlandish diseaes but still not out of the realm of comics) then his parents performed an experiment designed to mix his DNA with animals. I mean if anything his was intentional, if any origins don't make sense they are the ones that were complete flukes. Like Barry Allen getting supper speed by accidentally being struck by lightening, or the accidental exposure of Gamma radiation turning Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

Even Buddy got his powers from a scientific procedure performed by aliens

Also, where are you getting this snake thing? Is this a version you are creating yourself, because every single version I've seen of Gar's origin was from a bite from a green monkey. The first time he used his powers was when his mom was attacked by a snake, but I've never seen a moment where he was bit by one himself.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cbishop

@cbishop: ...Also, where are you getting this snake thing? Is this a version you are creating yourself, because every single version I've seen of Gar's origin was from a bite from a green monkey. The first time he used his powers was when his mom was attacked by a snake, but I've never seen a moment where he was bit by one himself.

The only version I've ever read was in Tales of the New Teen Titans #3. It's been years since I read it, so yeah, it's probable that I've confused the snake attack on his mom for a snake attack on Gar himself. <shrugs> It happens.

Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: It certainly does happen. I didn't mean that to sound like an attack, but a genuine inquiry. I got into the Teen Titans late in their career, and tho I have done what I can to read their past as well, I wouldn't be surprised if I I missed something hidden deep in the vault. Just wondered if you had seen a version I wasn't aware of, not trying to tear apart your argument.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cbishop

@cbishop: It certainly does happen. I didn't mean that to sound like an attack, but a genuine inquiry. I got into the Teen Titans late in their career, and tho I have done what I can to read their past as well, I wouldn't be surprised if I I missed something hidden deep in the vault. Just wondered if you had seen a version I wasn't aware of, not trying to tear apart your argument.

Didn't take it like that at all. I keep remembering it as a snake bit Gar - you're not the first person to call me on that lol.

BecauseISaidSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BecauseISaidSo

To be honest I like red Gar, I really don't care what color of his body is as long as he remains the same goofball. I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned why Thunder and Lightning are now Brother and SISTER. That's something I found even more weird.

Avatar image for greencrapweasel
    greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By greencrapweasel

MY FAVORITE COLOR BECAME GREEN BECAUSE OF BEAST BOY SOOOOO MANY YEARS AGO...............they're just taking it away from me man.....they're taking it away :'(

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sethysquare
    No Caption Provided

Looks pretty sweet.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By rav4

@sethysquare: if not for Terra referring to him by name there, I would have had no idea that was Beast Boy, because it barely resembles him.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sethysquare
    I think he looks better aesthetically. But thats just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.