Follow

Beast Boy

Character » Beast Boy appears in 2006 issues.

The classically green-skinned member of the Doom Patrol and later the Teen Titans, Beast Boy has the power to transform into any creature of any size.

go green

Avatar image for greencrapweasel
    greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By greencrapweasel

i swear i am going to snap soon if they don't change him back to green! I love BB as a green man, he made me apreciate the color more. that's how it became my favorite color! :( to change his color is to be losing Beast Boy for a whole new Beast Boy......i dont like that.....he had a heart that was so purely green!

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sooo why is he red again?

greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By greencrapweasel

Well rumor has it that it has some connection with animal man. I've been investigating into it and from my findings all I can determine is that it was caused by the whole concepts of The Green, The Red, and The Rot. Now I'm being a bit lazy right now so i can't say much more right now, but I think it's safe to assume that DC thought beast boy should be red due to The Red being connected to all animal life, while The Green is connected to all plant life.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-green/34-56643/

http://www.comicvine.com/the-red/12-55719/

http://www.comicvine.com/the-rot/12-56078/

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm hoping against hope that it is a temporary change. We do know that even in this universe his original color (post powers that is) was green as in the first issue of TT the were several monitor screens showing green animals fighting villains.

What I'm hoping for is that with all the turmoil in "the red" that the whole force is a tad out of whack and that once it returns to a state of balance, that he will return to being greed.

I'm just worried that the change won't only be cosmetic. In comic it is a terrible tredn for anything red themed to be angry and violent. I hope DC isn't taking a new color as an excuse to angst up Gar and try to make him edgier.

My opinion on the DCnU as a while is shaky and unstable at best, but if they do too much to Gar I'm willing to really call it quits and cut my ties.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sethysquare

I think its only temporary. Unless sales for the book don't so well and it gets cancelled, then we might not get to see him change back to green.

However, have you guys seen what the new beast boy can do? I saw some concept arts, he can grow butterfly wings and have animal claws all at the same time. Its awesome.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By TheOptimist

I like the connectivity to the concept of the Red... I'm actually somewhat hopeful that characters that have those sorts of ties to elements of the green or red (say Beast Boy, Vixen, Poison Ivy) will end up playing some even minor role in the events of the Deadworld... they're shared universe certainly makes it possible and would offer some nice opportunities to enhance the storytelling...

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sethysquare

@TheOptimist said:

I like the connectivity to the concept of the Red... I'm actually somewhat hopeful that characters that have those sorts of ties to elements of the green or red (say Beast Boy, Vixen, Poison Ivy) will end up playing some even minor role in the events of the Deadworld... they're shared universe certainly makes it possible and would offer some nice opportunities to enhance the storytelling...

Poison Ivy is going to be tied to the Green iirc.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kallarkz

Is he appearing regularly is any book.

SicKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SicKid

I actually don't mind the switch. Honestly, it makes him look more intimidating and fierce.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I like him Red. I just wanted to know why though. (+)

doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By doomsilver

He acually looks cool as red. That's the thing about the reboot, some things you just don't like and some that you think are awesome.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By noj

Yeah I really like his red look. Giving him a visual tie in to the Red was brilliant IMO

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By dernman

I can understand why people are upset but I actually like the idea. It would have been different if he was younger but he's older and I would like him to be a bit more serious. Now all we have to do is get him to change his name. Really how old is he and he is going by Beast Boy still?

Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethysquare said:

However, have you guys seen what the new beast boy can do? I saw some concept arts, he can grow butterfly wings and have animal claws all at the same time. Its awesome.

Where have you seen this?!? I've tried my hardest to stay on top of all things BB but I've not heard anything like this. Secondly let me just say I don't like that idea at all. I hate when people change his powers. Not only does hybrid animals make him a little too powerful, but they just don't make sense and would end up killing him.

For example, insect anatomy doesn't scale upward, so butterfly wings scaled to human size would rupture under their own weight. In the recent Ravagers #1 Gar is shown as a polar bear then shifts his head back to normal. Not only did this look ridiculous, but after one single pump, a polar bear heart would rupture a human brain and blow out his neck arteries.

@SicKid: If you want intimidating and fierce why are you looking into Beast Boy? That was never what he was supposed to be about. That wouls be like giving Superman shades and skull-shaped belt buckle. Sure some people might like it because Superman would be dark and cool, but that isn't what Superman was ever meant to be. If you want dark and cool you read Batman not Superman. Likewise if you want fierce and intimidating, you read Wolverine not Beast Boy.

@noj: I don't mind him being tied to the red at all, I just think color coding him seems like a lazy and insulting way of doing it. Instead of writing stories to explain his connection or letting people assume he is connected to the red because he turns into animals, they just turn him red. It's just like they didn't think readers would be smart enough to make the connections without it being paint by numbers. And it makes no sense as Gar is the only red-related character affected this way. Buddy is more connected to the red than anyone and he still looks normal (except for when he bleeds) It just doesn't make sense.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

get over it

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By SoA

the red fur looks a lot better , and its one of the many changes i like about DCnU, having him linked to the red /all animal life makes sense and explanation of his powers that much easier.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sethysquare

@Beast_in_the_Shadows said:

@sethysquare said:

Where have you seen this?!? I've tried my hardest to stay on top of all things BB but I've not heard anything like this. Secondly let me just say I don't like that idea at all. I hate when people change his powers. Not only does hybrid animals make him a little too powerful, but they just don't make sense and would end up killing him.

For example, insect anatomy doesn't scale upward, so butterfly wings scaled to human size would rupture under their own weight. In the recent Ravagers #1 Gar is shown as a polar bear then shifts his head back to normal. Not only did this look ridiculous, but after one single pump, a polar bear heart would rupture a human brain and blow out his neck arteries.

@SicKid: If you want intimidating and fierce why are you looking into Beast Boy? That was never what he was supposed to be about. That wouls be like giving Superman shades and skull-shaped belt buckle. Sure some people might like it because Superman would be dark and cool, but that isn't what Superman was ever meant to be. If you want dark and cool you read Batman not Superman. Likewise if you want fierce and intimidating, you read Wolverine not Beast Boy.

@noj: I don't mind him being tied to the red at all, I just think color coding him seems like a lazy and insulting way of doing it. Instead of writing stories to explain his connection or letting people assume he is connected to the red because he turns into animals, they just turn him red. It's just like they didn't think readers would be smart enough to make the connections without it being paint by numbers. And it makes no sense as Gar is the only red-related character affected this way. Buddy is more connected to the red than anyone and he still looks normal (except for when he bleeds) It just doesn't make sense.

It was the extra pages of Teen Titans annual.

I saw an art with Ian Churchill doing it. Looks damn amazing. Also with regards to it killing him, lol. I think either ways it doesn't make sense. In real life, nobody morphs into an animal and turn green. So morphing into a hybrid animal seems to be as realistic as morphing into a regular animal. I do get your concern though, I just didn't think it mattered.

SicKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SicKid

@Beast_in_the_Shadows: First of all, you can't really compare Beast Boy to Superman. I mean, are you really trying to tell me that a "man of steel" that is "faster than a speeding bullet" isn't intimidating? Second, characters evolve over time. The DCnU has revamped most of their characters to be "edgier", and frankly the direction they're taking Beast Boy in just works better.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Redberry

But it's not easy being green. :(

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

He's pretty bad ass with the red color.It makes him look more savage.

Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SicKid: It only works better if you didn't like the character before. For those who did like the character, making him edgier takes away many of the qualites that made you fond of him in the first place. If they need an edgier, ferocious character and one doesn't exists to fit those needs, then make a brand new character as opposed to twisting an existing character to meet what you needed.

In regards to my comment about Superman, I never meant that his powers weren't intimidating. I meant that his look and his attitude were as far from dark and angst-ridden as one could imagine. The point being that if you wanted a dark, angsty character it would be better to fins a pre-existing character that fit that description rather than changing a character who shouldn't by any means fill that role.

As for you comment on characters evolving over time, yes they do as well they should. However the DCnU was not character development rather character deconstruction. Character development works thusly: A character exists in a certain fashion, an obstacle or event comes along to conflict with the characters current state of being, the character then bends or overcomes. The end result is that the characters self is either taken in a new direction or reaffirmed and strengthened on the path it was heading. Either way all the steps are shown and fit a flow of causality that can be seen in the character retroactively. The DCnU however has one step that works as a blanket term for ever change that every character underwent (time was broken) So instead of seeing the logical reasons why characters were one way and are now another, we instead have an etch-a-sketch Universe and the explanation of "because we wanted to"

Anyway, all of this may be moot. Gar has made few appearances so far, but none of them really hint to him being more angry or violent than he was before. Add to that the fact that by 2013 there will be two cartoon shows featuring Gar being green and DC is very prone to tweaking the comics to fit better with their animated counterparts. I'm sure that Gar will be green again before long.

greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By greencrapweasel

@Beast_in_the_Shadows said:

I'm just worried that the change won't only be cosmetic. In comic it is a terrible tredn for anything red themed to be angry and violent. I hope DC isn't taking a new color as an excuse to angst up Gar and try to make him edgier.

My opinion on the DCnU as a while is shaky and unstable at best, but if they do too much to Gar I'm willing to really call it quits and cut my ties.

Wow! you make a good point! I noticed his character not having that same kind of fun awesomeness to him, which pisses me off. I could never give up on him though he's just the reason I ever really got into comics :( so now life is just lost in the comic world and ever since the reboot have read less and less comics! which also makes me sad

greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By greencrapweasel

@SicKid said:

@Beast_in_the_Shadows: First of all, you can't really compare Beast Boy to Superman. I mean, are you really trying to tell me that a "man of steel" that is "faster than a speeding bullet" isn't intimidating? Second, characters evolve over time. The DCnU has revamped most of their characters to be "edgier", and frankly the direction they're taking Beast Boy in just works better.

Of course characters evolve over time, but that's not really what happened here. Before the reboot is when evolving for beast boy happened. He started to grow up and his levels of comedy lowered to a smaller amount. Then reboot happened and they made a complete change over. I'm just depressed about it is all. Beast Boy was someone I once felt like I could relate to. Now they have made him into more of someone I have always tried to avoid into becoming and it's just not as fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.