Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

Unscripted: Detective Comics #862

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Joey Ravn

I don't think that's Dick... but Bruce. Look at his logo, it's the classic bat-on-yellow. Besides, Bruce appears in the second page of this issue :P My guess? Bruce's story happened in the past and it's shown in a way it parallels what is happening to Batwoman in the present. 

My two cents, of course. 

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jlat89
    @Joey Ravn: 
    I was seriously about to say the same thing so I agree with you about that
    That's what I thought when I read the issue
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Benzo

this is confused me as well :S lol 
    .....but wait a minute isn't bat woman getting a new ongoing series that will drawn by J.H . Williams III???? 
    that's what i heard???

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#4  Edited By jlat89
    @Benzo: 
    I hope so because Williams art was pretty amazing
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

The artwork is familiar I don't remember what though.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By No_Name_
    @Joey Ravn said:
    " I don't think that's Dick... but Bruce. Look at his logo, it's the classic bat-on-yellow. Besides, Bruce appears in the second page of this issue :P My guess? Bruce's story happened in the past and it's shown in a way it parallels what is happening to Batwoman in the present.  My two cents, of course.  "
    We love people's two cents! :D
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

I prefer their $2 bills. Feel free to mail them to us.

Branagin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Branagin77
    @G-Man: I just went to Staple here in Austin, Tx and met Guy Davis.. I got a couple signed comics and a free sketch of lobster johnson. :) Sweet!!
    I was wondering If you could do a review of B.P.R.D. #3? 
    I would love to know what you and Babs think of this artist and this series?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9  Edited By No_Name_
    @Branagin77 said:
    " @G-Man: I just went to Staple here in Austin, Tx and met Guy Davis.. I got a couple signed comics and a free sketch of lobster johnson. :) Sweet!! I was wondering If you could do a review of B.P.R.D. #3?  I would love to know what you and Babs think of this artist and this series? "
    I LOVE B.P.R.D. LOVE LOVE LOVE the art.
    Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By Secret Identity

You didn't pick a good issue to review here. I've been following the Batwoman Detective Comics since they started. The first story was good and the art was a joy. The second one, "Go" was really really good and gave a great and emotional origin story of Batwoman. This one...... feels like filler. The cutter character seems like he could be an interesting villain but just isn't there yet. Why is he covered in knives? Why is he collecting parts of girls? etc. I think you should read the previous arc. Particularly if you are interested in the character's history. This issue doesn't give a fair representation of the series. 

Same applies to the question feature. I like the art (and if we are going to moan about costume inconsistencies look at Green Arrow) and the character quite a lot. Again this is not a good issue to jump in on the story. The big problem i'm having with the second feature is it seems too short and that makes everything take a long time to happen. At 10 pages it's about half the length of a main story and this seems to make it last forever, that said each part links to the next and makes it seem like an actual investigation (which is good as it is DETECTIVE comics after all). Renee herself I enjoy but again, bad issue. That whole "Commissioner Gordon's daughter" thing was overdone. Worked when they first bump into her but when they see her again and she continues it just makes the character seem dumb. So yeah i'd say 2.5 is a fair review for this issue but i assure you this series is better as a whole.  Usually Batwoman is about 4/4.5 in my opinion and The Question 3.5.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By johnny_spam

Greg Rucka has said this is Bruce in the past early in his career you can tell by the bat symbol and the fact that Batman doesn't call Gordon commissioner.  I think people put way to much focus on continuity and where does the story fit these stories will be so much easier to read if you just read the story itself. 

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#12  Edited By HaloKing343

The batman in this book is Bruce not Dick. The batman story is a flashback and the batwoman story is present day
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By FoxxFireArt

It is annoying when comics that use the same characters never try and explain when events happen. It's like DC has tossed continuity to the wind here. 
    The art in the fight scenes are not very dynamic. It's pretty bad when someone describes a comic as " This isn't very reader friendly.". lol
    What I don't like about second features. While they call them more content. Isn't that just wasted space that the first content could use? 

Thanks for telling him not to rip the comic, Babs.

RedRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By RedRyan

They do refer to the fact that this is Bruce and not Dick at the start of the issue.This is easily one of the best books on the stands and I thought your review was very unfair.You didn't seem to really understand what was going on and seemed more interested in the fact that Batman got hit with a drawer(deadly in the right hands).I think it's great to see stories that are a little more complex and it's rare to see comics where the writer and artist work so well together.I'd give it 4.5.

Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Secret Identity
    @RedRyan said:
    "

They do refer to the fact that this is Bruce and not Dick at the start of the issue.This is easily one of the best books on the stands and I thought your review was very unfair.You didn't seem to really understand what was going on and seemed more interested in the fact that Batman got hit with a drawer(deadly in the right hands).I think it's great to see stories that are a little more complex and it's rare to see comics where the writer and artist work so well together.I'd give it 4.5.

"
    I kinda agree with you here. This series has been very good and yeah it does point out that it's Bruce(sort of, in a roundabout kinda way). This arch hasn't really grabbed me yet but still its ok.  

For the continuity issue here, it has been said by Rucka that they wanted to leave the time frame for Batwoman a little ambiguous in these issues. They mention it in a review about the first issue where he says that the Batman she meets isn't either Bruce or Dick specifically, just batman so the time frame can be left ambiguous as to whether it takes place before or after Bruce's death. 

There is one continuity issue that I had noticed that confuses me a bit. Batwoman is currently not talking to her father for reasons i won't mention here but in the recent Batman and Robin issue she is seen in London with her dad helping her out as support. It's just a little confusing as to whether this is supposed to be set before, or well after their fall out. 

Still i certainly wouldn't give this issue as high a review as 4.5 but the series on the whole is certainly at that level most of the way through. Read "GO" and you'll know what i mean.
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bandito

This wasn't a very flattering review for you two.  You both sounded like first-time comic readers who don't understand continuity or how books interconnect and--more often--don't interconnect. 

I'm banning myself from posting here anymore.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    "The artwork is familiar I don't remember what though. "

its kind of Jae Lee like, but a lesser version. 
    Avatar image for the_orange_crush
    the_orange_crush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_orange_crush
    @Joey Ravn said:

" I don't think that's Dick... but Bruce. Look at his logo, it's the classic bat-on-yellow. Besides, Bruce appears in the second page of this issue :P My guess? Bruce's story happened in the past and it's shown in a way it parallels what is happening to Batwoman in the present.  My two cents, of course.  "

Totally agree with this and what Johnny Spam said. You could also tell because Cutter looks...well older, rugged, etc. At first, I was confused as well, but the outfit and the obvious Bruce name call made it clearer. This has been an OK arc. 'Go', as Secret Identity referenced, is a damn good arc. Highly recommend picking those issues up.
    MorlockMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MorlockMartyr

I dunno much, but the art, though "difficult," kinda reminds one of Frank Miller's Dark Knight, no?
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20  Edited By mimschkin

Jock's an alright artist but nothing will ever come close to JH Williams III. I'll be picking up this issue anyway because I want to finish the Batwoman run. The second feature I could really do without. About 4 or 5 issues in I just started skipping it. I could happily live without it if it meant the book would be cheaper.

Avatar image for ninjasquirrel01
    ninjasquirrel01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjasquirrel01

Batman books are rather confusing at this point.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NightFang3

Lol, Dick got his butt kicked!

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By johnny_spam
    @NinjaSquirrel:  
    Not really just Batman and Robin and Detective are not using the same stories as in Streets of Gotham, Gotham City Sirens, Red Robin, Batgirl and Batman. 

Batman Widening Gyre and Batman Confidential and Superman/Batman are not part of current continuity. 

@NightFang:
    @NightFang said:
    " Lol, Dick got his butt kicked! "
    It's Bruce.
    TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By TheBug

Very happy to see Detective get reviewed, even though this was a blah issue.

I am a fan of Jock's art, but its kind of an acquired taste. Can't wait for JH to do a Batwoman ongoing.

G-Man, for good Renee Montoya stories you should check out Gotham Central trades.

Avatar image for derfla_y_levolcmp
    Derfla.Y.Levolcmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like how the backup story has nothing to do with the main story.  It barely ties into Batwoman at all.  If it weren't for the fact that Kate dated Rene they wouldn't share anything in common really.  I'd almost rather it wasn't there at all.

Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Secret Identity

My hope is that Batwoman gets her own ongoing and Renee takes up the main spot in Detective Comics. That would be my ideal. Then both characters get to shine independently of one another. They don't have anything to do with one another any more. (Renee has barely set foot back in Gotham in Detective Comics) so why not.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

Babs REEEEEALLY doesnt LIKE Dick    >:|

Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Secret Identity
    @THEBlaqueBasterd said:
    " Babs REEEEEALLY doesnt LIKE Dick    >:| "

I had noticed that. Dick is great though. I actually prefer reading batman books now it's Dick and not Bruce. When it was Bruce I read it for the villains. Now i read it for batman. 

That said Babs doesn't like GA either.... she's just got rubbish taste ;)
    Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd
    @Secret Identity: ...¬_¬  Juuuust realised how that comment looked....... Hahaha.. But true I do like this Grayson run as Bats.. Yes as fresh new an excitin as it is.... in the back of my mind I KNOW that Bruce is THAT guy.. &unless he doesnt exist always WILL be.. dont u think? 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.