Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

J.H. Williams III Referenced on Batwoman #26 Cover?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Hi Everyone.

Well this is kind of weird. I've just seen the new cover for Batwoman #26 for the first time, and there's something odd about it. Have a look, in particularly at the plaque on the left:

No Caption Provided

If it's too small for you to see, here's a zoomed in image:

No Caption Provided

Considering J.H. Williams III previously wrote and drew Batwoman, and left the series in 2013, I don't see how this could be a reference to anything else. Considering the creative team changing over seems to have been an uncomfortable situation for everyone, it seems strange to me that they would want to have some kind of easter egg relating to the previous team.

But what is this word that ends in "ing"? The plaque appears to be accompanying the painting to the left that we can only see the frame of, making me think, the word could be "missing", in reference to the fact that the original #26 cover is no longer being used, because of DCs decision to scrap or postpone the events of that issue, and #25. The painting that we can see is accompanied by a plaque with Stephane Roux's name on it, who I'm guessing drew this cover(I know he drew #27).

If this is the case, it seems like DC, or Stephane Roux is trying to make some kind of joke about the cover, and therefore the end of the story arc, being missing. I don't think this is funny. The planned issues being scrapped, has been a disappointment to the fans and creators, so trying to make light of it seems inappropriate.

Am I overthinking this? Am I wrong? Let me know what you think.

Scarlotte.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Bump?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Interesting find. It reads to me that Roux had been instated as the new cover artist for the series indefinitely. You can just glimpse the -2013) under Williams III's name so I think it's just the new creative team's way of saying that they're starting fresh. It doesn't read malicious to me, per se.

On an entirely different note, I cannot get used to that design for Kate. The ghostly white skin really completed the look for her. I hope they go back to that later on.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: The thing is though, that he may not be the full time cover artist, as Trevor McCarthy has done the cover for #28, and has drawn her properly on it:

No Caption Provided

It seems possible that it's not malicious, but it seems like an odd thing to do. I mentioned it to J.H. Williams and he seemed to have no knowledge of it, so they don't appear to have asked if this was O.K.

But yeah, the incorrect skin tone, cape attached in the wrong place, the headless bat-symbol and the visible eyelashes that make it look like her actual eyes are white don't make for a perfect drawing of her. I'm hoping it's just Stephane Roux that doesn't know what he's meant to be drawing, and that the interior artists will be more accurate.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SupBatz

@v_scarlotte_rose: That's very reassuring. Hopefully McCarthy will still be involved in Batwoman to some degree. His art in issue 25 helped maintain a sense of continuity despite the writing change.

To be fair, I guess they don't really need to ask permission to do something like that. It would definitely make for a goodwill gesture, though.

Quite observant. I knew that a lot was off on that cover but the only thing I could put my finger on was the incorrect skin tone. I guess we'll have to wait for the preview to be released before we know whether or not Kate looks good under Haun's pen. But the covers for 28 (as you pointed out) and 27 (which is a more acceptable adaptation that 26) at least suggest that they'll try to stick with the current design for the character.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: Maybe he'll stick around as cover artist. It would be nice for someone to carry over in some small way.

I'm feeling kind of optimistic about Jeremy Haun, as I think he was supposed to be doing some pages on the original #25 or #26, so if he was approved by the previous creative team, he might be quite faithful to the right designs, although if they're doing things differently on covers, maybe the editors have stepped in and re-designed her costume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.