Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

Cover of The Week: Batwoman #5

Cronoman66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

Edited By Cronoman66
    No Caption Provided

Today’s cover of the week honours a highlight of the New 52, Batwoman #5.Of all the reboots and debuting series of the New 52 nothing makes me prouder of the comic industry than Batwoman. Debuting in the pages of 52 in 2006 Batwoman cut a different style to the Bat-mantle with bright red hair and heated personality.

The New 52 series by the creative team of J.H Williams III and W.Haden Blackman continued the ongoing story of Batwoman, with her facing a new enemy while being pursued by Cameron Chase at behest of Mr Bones of the DEO.

The team of Williams and Blackman created a strong character in Kate Kane and put her in dramatic and dangerous situations where the reader can invest in her character. Add to this the amazing innovative art and panelling provided by J.H Williams III.

It has been one of my favourite series of the New 52 and with out further a due, this week’s Cover of The Week is Batwoman #5.

A running theme of Batwoman’s Covers is there relation to the interior panels. This is something I always feel is important for a cover. The main point of the Cover is to sell the comic to the customer, and I feel the cover should do it’s best to convey what happens in that issue as well. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

One of the the weirdest moments of Covers being unrelated to the contents was the trend of including Gorilla's or Apes on the cover due to the popularity of King Kong and Planet of The Apes in the 1970’s and 80’s. They wouldn’t always be unrelated to the book itself but it was always a very clear cash grab attempt by including them. I am happy that this trend has gone away. Jumping on current crazes just to try and sell a couple more issues is incredibly crass and desperate.

On to the cover itself. J.H Williams III talent on covers is that he can render an eye catching scene but have intricate detail embed beneath to give an incredibly amount of depth and detail. The significant part is that all the parts of his covers blend together to provide the overall image. No part is fighting another for prominence.

Williams’ style has a ethereal feel to it giving the cover a unique style to it. This is especially important due to the enemy of Batwoman’s ghostly status. This cover adds an extra part to the overall story of the book, in this issue the Hydrology story near it’s conclusion and Batwoman is on the ropes. If gives the customer incentive to buy the book without being over the top melodrama that golden and silver age books did.

The other covers of this series are all quality covers, but this one edges them out by summing up the series and tells a more concise story than previous covers. Williams is a outstanding artist and I await any further work he puts out.

Congratualations Batwoman #5, you are this week’s cover of the week.

For More Articles, Reviews and my own comic series go to www.abandonearthcomics.com

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.