Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

Batwoman Takes Over Detective Comics

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Batwoman is finally coming out...of obscurity and taking over Detective Comics with April's issue #854.  This is great.  There really hasn't been much action with Batwoman since her debut.  The fact that she'll be taking over Detective Comics (even if it's just temporary) makes me even happier.  She deserves a high profile comic like that. 

It's funny, last week, I saw a video from ABC News (I believe) and it sounded like they had no idea that Batwoman was a lesbian character.  I thought this was all over the news when she first came on the scene in "52."

Batwoman's story arc will be written by her 'creator' Greg Rucka and illustrated by J.H. Williams III.  According to Atomic Comics, DC has been hesitant to giving Batwoman her own series since she's controversial "solely because of her sexual orientation."  Give me a break.  What Century are we in?

I know this has already been announced.  I try to avoid the advanced solicits because I like to be surprised when possible.  For those, like me that hadn't heard, here ya go.  Plus, Kate deserves to be in the news.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pixelized

Perez Hilton reported on this a few days back. How her sexuality makes her a controversial character is beyond me, i just hope that's not all that's focused on with her. Make it more, "btw, i'm a lesbian" instead of "I Like girls!"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

I think it was first announced at NYCC.  Babs must have forgotten to tell us.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    pixelized said:
    "Perez Hilton reported on this a few days back. How her sexuality makes her a controversial character is beyond me, i just hope that's not all that's focused on with her. Make it more, "btw, i'm a lesbian" instead of "I Like girls!"
    "
    Perez Hilton's opinion doesn't count
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pixelized
    inferiorego said:
    "pixelized said:
    "Perez Hilton reported on this a few days back. How her sexuality makes her a controversial character is beyond me, i just hope that's not all that's focused on with her. Make it more, "btw, i'm a lesbian" instead of "I Like girls!"
    "
    "
    IT WAS THE ARTICLE!
    Free from his opinion!
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

It's just ridiculous that it's even remotely an issue.  I mean wasn't it in 1992 when Marvel announced Northstar's preference?  That was freakin' 17 years ago!  Of course Marvel had to make him look all angry about it.  Maybe the intention was that he was yelling out to the world?

No Caption Provided

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Northstar as you've never known him before: As the singer for Journey....

pixelized said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "pixelized said:
    "
    "
    IT WAS THE ARTICLE!
    Free from his opinion!
    "
    I'm 95% positive he couldn't write an article without being bias.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By DEADPOOL

I think it may be "controversial" because they may be accused of trying to line their pockets by giving a lesbian character her own series, which obviously get horny, lonely comic fans picking up the comic every month hoping to see some lesbian action, or anything that could be considered as such.

Fan 1: Did you see the way they looked at each other?!
    Fan 2: Yeah, totally hot!

lol. Anyway, is DC having it's own "Secret Invasion"? But instead of the heroes getting replaced by Skrulls, they're getting replaced by lesbians. First Question, and now Batman.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8  Edited By Darkchild
    G-Man said:
    "It's just ridiculous that it's even remotely an issue.  I mean wasn't it in 1992 when Marvel announced Northstar's preference?  That was freakin' 17 years ago!  Of course Marvel had to make him look all angry about it.  Maybe the intention was that he was yelling out to the world?

No Caption Provided

"
    I dont get the comics, i mean who the hell cares if a character is gay or not. When i got the issue where Northstar "came out" i shrugged my shoulders going "Cool." it wasnt a big deal to me, yeah i got the issue a few years ago when i was collectin Alpha Flight but still its the fact that being of same sex is a big deal in comics.

Ya would think that the pervs of the comic world would rejoice at the fact Batwoman being a lesbian but all ive heard is bitching an from one person "We have enough bleeps in the world why in our comics." to which I told him to go bleep hiimself. I just dont get some people, and people who cant take art specially comics are people i really just cant stand.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

The sad thing is, there are still people that would get 'offended' for some strange reason.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10  Edited By Darkchild
    G-Man said:
    "The sad thing is, there are still people that would get 'offended' for some strange reason.
    "
    Sad yeah thats one thing id call it but the truth of it all its just stupid and annoying hearing them whine an complain.

My usual comment since a few of my family/friends are of the Bi/Gay/Lesbian "Piss off or STFU"

But soemtimes those four words never work with some people
    defunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By defunkt

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Nighthunter

To be fair with DC about being hesistant they intended to make her big ever since Rucka was on the works of her on 52, that the media made a big deal out of it kinda ruined that, which is stupid.

The sexual orientation of a character is as important as her race..so nothing

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#13  Edited By TwilightThunder

let's hope Greg and Williams III Make something good outta this, i'd like to see Batwoman in action (vigilante-related, no girl on girl you pervs! LMAO) In the gutters of Gotham City.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14  Edited By No_Name_

I personally think giving her this series is a mistake. But what do I know. DC seems to think that Detective will continue to be one of the highest selling books in the DCU even with Batwoman as the headliner; but I think there are better ways of introducing Batwoman into the mainstream without giving her her own book.

However, Im interested in seeing her backstory..

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DEADPOOL
    TwilightThunder said:
    "let's hope Greg and Williams III Make something good outta this, i'd like to see Batwoman in action (vigilante-related, no girl on girl you pervs! LMAO) In the gutters of Gotham City."
    It's a good thing you cleared that up, because I was going to suggest some Batwoman "action" myself.

Nah, I'm kidding; I hate lesbians... because they don't love me and I have rejection issues, lol.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Media_Master

I don't know enough about her to make a sound judgment call..

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Virago
    pixelized said:
    "
    Agreed. It'll be controversial to the conservative parents and southern baptists, but it really shouldn't matter. I can't wait to read this!!
    Avatar image for deletable_profile_person
    starman1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By starman1994

I personally can't wait.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By MrMiracle77

There are clues to this, and many other elements in the 'Battle for the Cowl' 2-page ad that has been running for the last 2 months or so.  Batwoman was in the background, but holding a magnifying glass.  This indicates she will be playing the detective role for the duration of the 'Battle' storyline.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.