Follow

Batwoman

Character » Batwoman appears in 961 issues.

After resigning from the Army under DADT for being a lesbian, Kate Kane lived a directionless party-girl heiress lifestyle until, on a dark night, a chance encounter with Batman inspired her to find a new calling in life, later adopting the mantle of Batwoman.

Andreyko & Haun Confirmed As New "Batwoman"#25 Creative Team

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

From CBR

CBR News has confirmed with DC Comics that incoming "Batwoman" writer Marc Andreyko will take over the series beginning with "Batwoman" #25. Andreyko will be joined by artist Jeremy Haun, who was already listed as one of the artists in the original "Batwoman" #25 solicitation.

Confusion arose after DC co-publisher Dan DiDio's comments at Baltimore Comic-Con this weekend, which indicated Andreyko's first issue would be a full two issues before current "Batwoman" creative team J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman intended to exit the title. Williams took to social media after DiDio's comments were widely reported, expressing surprise and disappointment that he and Blackman would not be able to finish their final arc as intended.

"Sadly, I guess with a new writer starting on Batwoman 25 means that the issue 25 we wrote already isn't coming out," Williams said via Twitter, continuing to say he and Blackman would likely not be able to give even a rough idea of how they intended to end the series. "Having two chapters cut from an arc does story damage."

Although the current solicitation for "Batwoman" #25 lists Williams and Blackman as the writers for the issue alongside artists Jeremy Haun and Trevor McCarthy, DC has confirmed this is no longer the case.

"I am taking this job very seriously and hope to do right by Kate, Maggie, Bette and the rest of the cast," Andreyko said via Facebook over the weekend. "This all happened very quickly, so am trying to catch my breath and let it sink in. And i've already had great conversations with [DC editor] Mike Marts and can't wait to work with him again. I hope you will give my run a chance as I am going to give it my all and try to live up to the work those great creators did before me."

"Batwoman" #25 is scheduled to hit stores November 20.

From Newsarama

As Dan DiDio announced over the weekend at Baltimore Comic-Con, Marc Andreyko will take over as writer of Batwoman starting with November's issue #25, DC Comics has confirmed to Newsarama. Andreyko is an openly gay writer known for his work with Manhunter - a Gotham City female hero with ties to the DEO who also had an openly gay supporting cast member (sound familiar, Batwoman fans?). Batwoman, Kate Kane, is an openly gay hero currently engaged to her girlfriend, police detective Maggie Sawyer - but don't look for a marriage anytime soon.

DC Comics also told Newsarama that Andreyko's artist for at least Batwoman #25, is Jeremy Haun. Haun is also no stranger to Gotham, but recently took a year as an exclusive artist at Top Cow before returning to DC for a Villains Month one-shot and other work. He was originally solicited as one of two artists on Batwoman #25 alongside Trevor McCarthy.

The previous creative team of writers J.H. Williams III and Haden Blackman had intended to finish their story arc, through #26, when they announced they were quitting the book over what they said was consistent last-minute editorial interference with their stories. Instead, October's #24 will be their final issue. The current "no marriage" policy for heroes at DC Comics was one of the points of contention for the team. Andreyko and Haun's first story will tie-in to Batman: Zero Year, the new origin story for Batman currently running in that self-titled book. Batwoman has largely existed on the periphary of the Batman universe in the New 52, but seems like it will be more integrated with the new creative team.

Newsarama Note: Cover art above is the originally solicited cover to Batwoman #25, and not indicative of the final released product

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Celineness

There's an easy way to solve this. Where ever DiDio and Marc go - whichever convention, signing, meeting etc in public - when they ask for audience questions, everyone just constantly asks the exact same thing: "Hi. I was wondering, when is Batwoman getting married? You know, like was intended by the original creative team."

If they say "Hmm. Next question", then the next person asks the same thing. And the next, and the next...until they get the message.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

From CBR

CBR TV: Killam, Andreyko Sire "The Illegitimates," Talk "Batwoman"

Andreyko, on taking over "Batwoman" afterthe controversial exit of co-writers J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman: "The circumstances could be more pleasant," Andreyko acknowledged. "You never want to take over a book when people leave on not the best terms, but the character is so rich and I'm such a huge fan of everything Greg [Rucka] and Haden and J.H. -- especially J.H. -- have done on that book, that I'm not going in to rearrange everything and say, 'Everything that went on before is bad. I'm going to fix it.' I want to do right by the character, and the character that they have done… I've got to say, the reaction on the Internet -- I expected to be vilified, and drawn and quartered, and I've only been called 'gay Uncle Tom' by about three websites, so statistically, I'm ahead of the game. Statistically, the Internet's been great to me"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.