the_mighty_monarch's Batwing #5 - Like a Nightmare Coming to Life review

Delicious Fluff

Oh look, Ben Oliver's back on art duties! Yay! But he's off cover duties! Boo! It just... isn't the same. Ben Oliver's art is one of the biggest things that gives this book such a unique feel from beginning to end, the drastically different and much more standard cover offsets that a bit. It just doesn't excite me very much like the other covers.

But let's focus on the positives? At least his interior art is intact. A bizarrely gorgeous blend of simple pencil work and super detailed coloring. And panel layouts with an intensely cinematic feel. As I've come to expect.

But actually, I don't have a lot to say about this issue. We get a nice portion of character development from David, Matu, and Okuru. We get a little more of a look at The Kingdom. Massacre expands his arsenal, or perhaps he was holding back before for misdirection. Either way that bit was very interesting. But this issue is almost entirely pointless on several levels. Batman's here for no reason whatsoever. His presence is barely justified by the plot, and amounts to no major developments as effects from his presence. He's really here to.... help sell the book I guess? It just feels so painfully blatantly obvious that that's the case. He really does nothing more than be an extra crime fighter in the mix.

As for the story, I mean, we find out about the headquarters of The Kingdom, we find out Massacre's arsenal is expanded, and we find out where Massacre will strike next. All of which, even combined, didn't need an entire issue to tell.

In Conclusion: 3/5

I mean... it was pretty good. All the right components were there for a good Batwing issue, but there was no movement. Very little in this issue actually meant anything. It was like cotton candy. Delicious, but isn't substantial at all. Normally I'd be a little more lenient on something like that, but this was just fluff padding out an already long arc. You can actually probably even skip this issue without missing.... anything really.