Batwing #19

Posted by G-Man (30704 posts) - - Show Bio

There will be minor spoilers for BATWING #19 but the identity of the new Batwing will NOT be revealed here.

The Good

Batwing was a great character that just never really seemed to click. When the series debuted with the launch of the New 52, the idea of the "Batman of Africa" was intriguing. Unfortunately it just didn't seem to quite work out.

David Zavimbe says it best on the first page:

"The methods, the symbol, it doesn't mean the same thing here. Not even being a policeman is good enough to combat the ills that plague my nation."

When it was revealed a different person would become Batwing, fans of Zavimbe were concerned. The good news is his story isn't necessarily over. He just won't be in the suit any longer. This opens the door for him to work on his mission as he sees fit. This issue shows how and why this decision was made. And of course there will be a place for him in Batman Incorporated.

As for what's next, we do get a great tease. We do find out who the next Batwing will be. There is a new suit and it should get readers excited. Along with the new suit, there is something fitting about the choice, despite the controversy it could result in. As mentioned in our interview with Justin and Jimmy, "It's a new character but you may have seen him." I am on board with this character in this role 100%.

The Bad

It's unfortunate for fans of David Zavimbe but the reality of it is, the series wasn't selling very well despite there being fans of the character. This issue does do him justice and this new direction will hopefully be the shot in the arm the series needs. Fans of the previous issues should definitely check this out to see how David's tenure ends and what's coming up. Hopefully fans will appreciate his decision.

There is a slight feeling of two separate stories going on here as the old and the new are brought in. Next issue will prove to be extremely interesting.

The Verdict

It can be hard when change occurs, especially when it's with the main character in a title. As cool as David Zavimbe was as Batwing, he never really seemed to catch on with everyone. Allowing him to venture off in a different direction and bringing in a different character as Batwing could be just what this series needs. Having Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti on board also brings a level of giddiness as the two know how to bring a good time to comics. This issue is the end of Batwing but also the beginning. The choice for the new Batwing is brilliant in terms of tying the character closer to Batman and Gotham City. It's opened a new door that should bring a smile to fans and has the potential to blow up completely in Batman's face. That sense of uncertainty is what will add to this book's excitement as we witness the events unfold. Jimmy and Justin are ensuring Batwing has a place in the future of the Bat-Universe and beyond.

Staff
#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2525 posts) - - Show Bio

The character that is the new Batwing is very, very interesting. I haven't read the issue but i sure do want to after finding out who it is.

#2 Posted by spartan626 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to buy the issue, but I need to know who it is!

#3 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little confused by the "bad." What was bad? That fans of Zavimbe might be upset? Isn't that really based on their judgement?

I kind of want to hear more about the "two separate stories" feeling though. Can you talk more about that?

#4 Posted by BR_Havoc (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit after finding out who the new character is an just the name alone I went Ughhhh can someone please make a new character that is original not give him a name that is very close to a big time marvel character.

#5 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

the new batwing is still black

#6 Posted by Zavimbe (17 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Edited by G-Man (30704 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123: Two separate stories. The end of David as Batwing and the introduction of the new one. And yes, it's bad if you're a fan of David and if he's no longer in the book. Thought that made sense.

Staff
#8 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: I meant what about it makes it feel like two different stories? Is it the writing? Art? Tone? What? Specifically.

I understand that fans of David might be upset, but shouldn't that be in the verdict instead of the bad. I'm assuming that bad is based on how you're reviewing it. That is more of an observation rather then opinion. Unless it impacted the way you read the story. In that case, it would make sense.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6157 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand this at all. If you change the suit, the person in the suit, and make it that they'll be operating in a different area, why bother calling them Batwing? If it's not selling well enough for you to decide to replace the character, why not just cancel it?

#10 Posted by Eivion (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand this at all. If you change the suit, the person in the suit, and make it that they'll be operating in a different area, why bother calling them Batwing? If it's not selling well enough for you to decide to replace the character, why not just cancel it?

I would have preferred cancellation tbh. The book isn't going to magically turn around from its current numbers, and what they are doing now completely kills the uniqueness and point of the entire series. Its why I'm dropping it with this issue. I think Palmiotti and Gray will do fine writing wise, but I have no interest in a new Batwing or non-Africa based Batwing

Anyways I thought this issue itself was ok. It felt a bit rushed to be honest, trying to tie everything up as neat as possible before introducing the new character.

#11 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6157 posts) - - Show Bio

@eivion: I'd be quite surprised if the choice of new character brings in more readers, but having the character be closer to the Bat-Family might mean he'll be involved more in crossovers with other titles, which may bring in a few extra sales. I don't see it being much of a success, but even if it is, it's a new character that's done it, and Batwing would just be considered even more of a failure.

#12 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw it as more one story with a small side ending @g_man

i actually really dug the art and the story. I see 10 more issues for this book.

#13 Edited by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a 100% cool with the new Batwing. Now it makes sense why he has such a "busy" design.

#14 Edited by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: They were doing that before this new Batwing. You are just writing what is obvious. That is how a company works. You try to get all the money you can get. I can see a lot of people buying this issue ( I include myself) just to read about this new Batwing. Nothing wrong with that. No way DC will cancel this without trying to give it a second chance. This isn't Batman, Superman or WW. The moment this is cancelled, forget about a new Batwing series, at least, for the next 10 years. This is a decision that will not just decide the future of this series, but of Batwing for the rest of his career as a part of the DC Universe.

#15 Edited by GHoST2130 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman needs to stop making better batsuits for everyone but himself

#16 Edited by TheDarkSalmon (38 posts) - - Show Bio

i jumped on with this issue so ill ride it out til the arc is done but i enjoyed it. the new batwing choice makes complete sense and i like it

#17 Edited by dimmoe (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@eivion: I'd be quite surprised if the choice of new character brings in more readers, but having the character be closer to the Bat-Family might mean he'll be involved more in crossovers with other titles, which may bring in a few extra sales. I don't see it being much of a success, but even if it is, it's a new character that's done it, and Batwing would just be considered even more of a failure.

this^

also

the issue was rushed and the pace is off. there was never a real reason given as to why David wanted to stop being Batwing either.

#18 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6157 posts) - - Show Bio

@cacarl said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: They were doing that before this new Batwing. You are just writing what is obvious. That is how a company works. You try to get all the money you can get. I can see a lot of people buying this issue ( I include myself) just to read about this new Batwing. Nothing wrong with that. No way DC will cancel this without trying to give it a second chance. This isn't Batman, Superman or WW. The moment this is cancelled, forget about a new Batwing series, at least, for the next 10 years. This is a decision that will not just decide the future of this series, but of Batwing for the rest of his career as a part of the DC Universe.

What were they doing? I don't what you're replying to.

My point is that they're giving the series a second chance by changing virtually everything except the name. That's just giving up on the whole concept of the character. If they wanted a new character in the Bat-Family/Batman Group, why not just give them their own identity rather than take on the Batwing title.

#19 Posted by jaybefre (56 posts) - - Show Bio

****************SPOILERS***********************SPOILERS*************************SPOILERS*********************

****************SPOILERS***********************SPOILERS*************************SPOILERS*********************

****************SPOILERS***********************SPOILERS*************************SPOILERS********************

I am pleased with the decision of Luke Fox but, they flat out lied. I've never heard of Luke Fox, matter fact the only son Lucius Fox has is Tim Fox who is a villain. So this "may" or "might have" crossed paths with Luke or even heard of him is BS. He is a "new" character! I don't care if there is a Lucius Fox Jr. in the Batman Beyond timeline! I'm sure that most people haven't come across him in the Beyond timeline either. Just say it's a new character. Again I still like Luke Fox. I think he is a good idea for a character. Should be interesting going forward. Will definitely be reading this book in the future.

#20 Edited by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

My interest in any further Batwing reading waned as I read the book. I couldn't bear not following David in his crusade in Africa.

Then, the final few pages revitalized, and more than that, reinvigorated my interest in Batwing!!

8/10

LET'S GO!!!!!

#21 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds interesting i'll check it out.

#22 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: The crossovers and the way they tried to make the old Batwing part of the Bat-family. The only difference is the person and the suit of course.

#23 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6157 posts) - - Show Bio

@cacarl: I thought he was only in one crossover. I meant they might put him in several more crossovers now.

#24 Posted by saoakden (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to see where they take this book. It's a shame we won't be seeing David as Batwing. Although, I'm liking the new Batwing suit. Looks a lot cooler than the previous Batwing outfit.

#25 Edited by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess this is going to be another thing I have to ignore in comics. Why would Batman have a suit created that's better then his own against enemies and not use it himself? If I was setting up the universe the suit would be a Batman's in the future. To me it looks better then Batman Beyond's suit. Also Batwing would be the name of his plane not a character.

I'm going to miss David Zavimbe but honestly I think being something other then a Batman would be good. Maybe come up with his own identity? Though he might mostly give up strait up heroics and think bigger.

Luke Fox I actually see lots of potential in this character but where I see it it's not as Batwing but I guess they can make something of this.

#26 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

This smelled like a set-up to me. I think Zavimbe is playing a game and is actually using Batman himself as one of his pawns.

As Batwing, he knows his options are extremely limited against a foe like Philip Marksbury. It looked, to me, like he was intentionally provoking Marksbury. Zavimbe said "...I'm going to make sure your life gets harder and harder..." and Marksbury responds by calling Batwing a dead man.

My guess: Zavimbe, knowing that Batman is committed to the Batwing concept, would recruit a replacement. Zavimbe has intentionally put a target on that new Batwing. While Philip Marksbury attempts to take revenge on Batwing (Luke Fox), Zavimbe will be doing an end-around in a costume without the bat-symbol, now clearly willing to kill.

Remember Zavimbe's speech on pg. 6? "I want to kill him, but not in this suit, not with the Batman's symbol on my chest. This symbol has to stay pure."

#27 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7597 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally got around to reading this issue, it was a shame to see David go and I'm not to sure about the new Batwing. I must admit I did also have an 'Ughh' moment at the revalation, but I'll give it a few more issues before I make my mind up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.