Follow

Battlestar Galactica Crew

Team » Battlestar Galactica Crew appears in 91 issues.

Serving on the last surviving Battlestar of the fleet under Admiral William Adama.

Interview: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning on New BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Series

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Battlestar Galactica made a huge comeback in recent years. The original series aired in 1978 - 1979. The show returned with Galactica 1980, set thirty years after the original series. In 2004, the show was re-imagined with some key differences to characters and themes. The show was a success with new fans discovering the characters and universe.

Dynamite Entertainment is preparing to launch a new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA comic based on the original series. It's an interesting move given the popularity of the more recent version but a delight for older fans. To make it even better, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning will be the writers for the comic. We took this opportunity to ask both of them some questions about the new series, due in May.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: You guys are no stranger to 'cosmic' comic books, how did you get involved with BATTTLESTAR GALACTICA?

DnA: We’ve been looking to do a project with Nick [Barucci] for the longest time- ever since we spent a fun weekend locked in Dynamic Forces warehouse back in the year 2000! For one reason or another; mainly due to existing commitments, exclusives contracts and workload, we’ve not been able to turn that wish into a real-life project until last summer, when I spoke with Nick at San Diego Comic-Con and he asked about the possibility of Dan and I working on BSG for Dynamite. Both of us grew up watching the original series and it played an important role in our formative years so we jumped at the chance.

CV: Whose decision was it to go with the classic continuity?

DnA: We initially signed on to do a Galactica 1980 mini that would be a continuation from the continuity Marc Guggenheim created in his previous series for Dynamite. As we spoke and started knocking ideas around it became clear that with this year being the 35th anniversary of the original series airing, and Nick, ever having an eye for a sales pitch, thought it’d be an opportunity missed if we didn’t commemorate that milestone. So we‘ve ended up with the opportunity to do two stories: a classic BSG tale and a continuation of Dynamite’s GALACTICA 1980 series, for us it’s the best of both worlds.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

CV: How rooted into the actual show's continuity does this fit? Is there a specific time period/episode?

DnA: The 35th anniversary book is our chance to tell a classic BSG story but obviously, in comics budget is no limit- so we’ve come up with the sort of epic ‘end of season finale’ type story that all the great sci-fi TV series do so well. It gives us a chance to explore and reconfirm what is so cool about the original series. Continuitywise, it’s set roughly in the period after the original series ended but before Galactica 1980 begins.

CV: Are you prepared for the horde of newer fans wondering why you made Starbuck into a dude?

DnA: It’s a weird one that, because for us, it’s just as weird that Starbuck is a lady! In fact, Dan’s a fan of the reimagined series but Andy has yet to watch a single episode.

CV: How closely will the characters resemble the TV actors in the comic?

DnA: We’re very fortunate to have a great artist on-board, Cezar Razek (VAMPIRELLA VS FLUFFY) who’s nailing the likenesses as well as realising a lot of the wacky stuff we’re asking for in the script which has him designing and inventing new versions of the Cylons, various colonial ships and a whole new alternate BSG reality to boot!

No Caption Provided

CV: Have you spent time going back and watching the old episodes?

DnA: It didn’t take much of an excuse to go back and re-watch the series and we both got to revisit our inner 14 year old selves for a while and wallow in some nostalgia. It surprised us how well the old episode should up given the decades that have past. BSG always had a cinematic quality and epic narrative that has stood the test of time well.

CV: How will the series start off? What will new readers need to know before going in?

DnA: If we do our jobs right (fingers crossed), then new readers and fans of the original series will both be able to pick the book up and get right into the story. We’ve used a framing device at the start of issue #1 that gets everyone up to speed on the who’s, where’s and what-the-frak’s!

No Caption Provided

CV: If this 'future' period in Galactica 1980 is ever addressed, will we finally discover the unaddressed fate of Muffit (the robotic dog)?

DnA: We are both HUGE fans of Muffit, and were convinced as kids that by now everyone would have their own robo-daggit!! But the future let us down!!

However, we have very finite plans to show the fate of our favourite cyber-dag in the Galactica 1980 series- needless to say, in the intervening years, Muffit has had a few ‘upgrades’!!

Be sure to pick up BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #1 from Dynamite Entertainment. On sale May 15. Let your comic shop know you demand to have a copy.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By Trevel8182

Absolutley love Dna!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

As much as I love Moore and Eick's BSG I can't bring myself to watch the original series. I wish DnA all the luck in the world but I don't think this is my kinda thing.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dondave

Picking This up

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Trodorne

I will try out the first two issues.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hanson724

I going to check out the first couple of issues for sure.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DonFelipe

The Elioupolis variants are super-cute. Love it!

Nice idea to have a new comic series based on the original run. I will definitely give it a try.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThomasElliot

I love Abnett and Lanning... I'm not a fan of the original BSG, but I would read this simply because its Abnett and Lanning.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnightofSteel

Wha?! Starbuck's a dude?! Seriously though I added this to my pull list weeks ago. I'm a big fan of the oldschool BG and this is a no brainer for me to get. Icing on the cake we get an incredible creative team to boot. I grew tired of Alex Ross covers a long time ago, but here I think it fits the "inconicness" (is that a word? probably not) of this series. Can't wait.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

@KnightofSteel: I completely agree. Even though I got to interview Katee Sackhoff, I still prefer old school BSG.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By dreamfall31

Of what I've seen of the original BSG, it looked too "Star Wars for TV" to me. That and any 70's television is just kind of hard to watch IMO. It just has too much of that 70's vibe at all times which I'm not a fan of.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Night Thrasher

How is it these guys are the reason that GotG is getting a movie yet they are stuck writing licensed properties? If anything Axel Alonso should be begging these guys along with Keith Giffen to write the cosmic titles.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By charlieboy

I have watched both series and I am not really a fan of the original so I will probably not get this.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Being that this retains classic continuity, I'm definitely going to check it out. At the very least, those covers look amazing even if the story might be otherwise. I'm actually excited for this...

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Gonna have to flip a coin on this title I liked 70's BSG loved the new BSG.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By wmwadeii

Started watching the 2004 series, was told I should watch it first since its a reboot of the original. I might check this out, as long as it wouldnt ruin watching the original.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.