Follow

Batman

Volume »

Volume 1. The one that started it all. Batman focuses on the rise of the famous Batman and his influence on Gotham City as he fights the most devilish of villains and stops the most dastardly plans. It spanned from 1940-2011.

Batman #694 Review

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I liked the art.

Avatar image for a_boy_named_art
    A Boy Named Art

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By A Boy Named Art

Good review, as ever, and good to see Dick start to really become a Batman and not just Nightwing in daddy's clothes.

My big question going into ... heck, not even 2010, but 2011 is, after Bruce re-claws his way through the timeline and the JLA going through what I imagine will be another reshuffling post-Cry For Justice, where will that leave the erstwhile O.G. Teen Titans (again)? 'Cause I like the idea of Dick, Donna, Vic and Kory in the League, but I don't think that's going to stick.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

That is a stunning image of Batman and Commissioner Gordon. It's pretty cool to bring a classic villain of Dick Grayson back to haunt him now that he's Batman. Though I think it would be more interesting if the Reaper was after Dick. When it comes to the current run with Batman. I'm far more interested to see what happens with Dick after Bruce finally returns. After Dick has really made an effort to change how he does things, what does he do when he's not Batman? This will be far more interesting then the tale going on with Captain America.

I believe this is the second review in a row that you have done on a comic with a rather minimalist cover that includes a mostly solid white background.

By the by, my favorite comic artist, Fred Perry, does all his own writing, drawing, color, and text work. Still produces great art with a fun story. Just thought I'd toss that in.

Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By Secret Identity

694? damn it I've missed 693 already. need to catch back up with this. Ive really been liking Dick as batman, Damian as Robin and Tim as Red Robin. 

P.S. I couldn't help but watch your fringe crawl across your face repeatedly in this video lol

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

I haven't read it... but I did read one before and yes there seems to be a lot of stuff going on with the charactars that gets me confused, but it's still a good story though
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By burr787

I liked this issue a lot and oddly enough, I liked the art more in this than I did in R.I.P..

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By hero vs. villian

I still can't believe TD is on this book. BFTC, he cleary could care less about Batman by saying Bruce underestimated the psychological effect on Gotham. He should in no way be writing this book, heck, his so called "art" which is just soem of the most notrotious art to have ever rendered the pages of a comic. if Judd Winick and Mark Bagley were doing this, this would be one of the best books on the comic racks, with Daniel on it, it's a joke.

rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rouju
    @A Boy Named Art: 
    Agree dude, I didn't agree when Dick took the cape & cowl (still disagree) but at least this issue make him looks more appropriate to be Batman

Tim or Damian is waaaaaaaaaaay better
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

Nice review, Babs. I also love how their bringing back old villains to fight Dick & Damian.

AndyKeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AndyKeel

good review

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11  Edited By No_Name_
    @burr787 said:
    " I liked this issue a lot and oddly enough, I liked the art more in this than I did in R.I.P.. "
    Really? How come? I personally found the art in R.I.P. to be considerably better since Daniel didn't have to pull double duty writing, and penciling. 

Anyone else feel the same way burr787 did?
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#12  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Batman #693. Was the issue Dick kissed Helena, Just to point it out. Also good review   

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13  Edited By timrothsays

ohshi~
    u're beautiful ^_^

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By drawme

Yeah, the art is great.

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By burr787
    @Babs said:
    " @burr787 said:
    " I liked this issue a lot and oddly enough, I liked the art more in this than I did in R.I.P.. "
    Really? How come? I personally found the art in R.I.P. to be considerably better since Daniel didn't have to pull double duty writing, and penciling. 
    Not sure, I just read R.I.P. over the weekend and found the art somewhat lacking IMO. I think that the reason I found this better was because Dick was in costume for the entire issue. I don't really like how Daniel draws people for some reason and Bruce was out of costume for a good chunk of R.I.P., so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Sandbox24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sandbox24

Tony Daniel. SOLD.  

I LOVED "Battle for the Cowl" so I'm going to be picking this up, regardless of the slightly less quality in Tony's art.  

I'm also enjoying the change in Dick's persona. However I am worried how this will effect the character once Bruce has returned.  

Will Dick stay dark and broody OR will we see a return the light hearted circus kid when/if he retakes the Nightwing mantle?    
    your_navigator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By your_navigator

I really like this arc so far!   

I feel like, sometimes, in comic book land, the writer tries to rush the story.  They try to make it as action packed as they possibly can, and as a result, all the pieces don't quite fall into place and it leaves the story quite contrite, in my opinion.  I feel like Daniel is trusting the reader to be patient and just let the pieces fall into place.  And in turn, the reader has to trust the writer to connect all the dots, so to speak.  You see the pieces start to fit together a bit in this book, what with the maps that Selina stole and the girl Katrina, all the villains coming out of the woodwork... We know about the drug-cocktail, now, and I bet we find out about the gas masks from Damian soon... I guess I'm just really excited to see how this all ends! 

And I think the art is absolutely stunning.  I love the way TD commits to full scenes.  It's beautiful. 

Good review, Babs.  I agreed with nearly everything.    

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Blackestnight1

NIghtwing upgraded from diet batman to cherry batman.

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SigersonLTD

Ok, it's pretty clear that we all know that Bruce will return, and the only question is, when. A better question might be, having gone through the ordeal, is he going to want the cape and cowl back right away? What if, when he gets back, he decides Dick is doing a great job? I would prefer they not fight over the costume, instead, Dick offers to return it, and Bruce says, "Wait a minute..." 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

Can't get enough of the art!!

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

Hmmmm... 1:59 - 2:04 ........ What WAS that..?

>;)

Rich-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rich-Man

we hear in #696 that the black mask is intellectual and has recently come into money, those are our clues... i got a funny feeling that the black mask is none other than....   
    Doctor Arkham!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.