Follow

Batman

Volume »

Volume 1. The one that started it all. Batman focuses on the rise of the famous Batman and his influence on Gotham City as he fights the most devilish of villains and stops the most dastardly plans. It spanned from 1940-2011.

'Batman' #692 Reviewed!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Take a look at Tony Daniel's first book since 'Battle For The Cowl'

'Batman' #692
    Writing and pencils by: Tony Daniel
    Inks by: Sandu Florea

Tony Daniel has once again taken on the task of writing and drawing Dick Grayson as ' Batman' following his work on ' Battle For The Cowl' with issue 692 of 'Batman.' There is no question that he is both a superb penciller as well as a writer. While the details of certain panels exemplified his talent as an artist and writer; there was something off at times. As far as writing is concerned, I felt that he really got Dick Grayson as ' Batman.' Finally having transitioned the character from being insecure in the cape and cowl, Dick seems to have made it his own. No longer does Dick Grayson question and compare himself to his predecessor. I really like the fact that Commissioner Gordon is still uneasy dealing with the new "Dark Knight," but I am surprised he still does not know who is beneath the cowl, considering he dated his daughter! If Grayson is not yet comfortable as the new 'Batman,' then Daniel certainly has me fooled. The book moves relatively smoothly, but is confusing at some points and the primary adversary is still unclear. Will it be Black Mask, or will we see a resurgence from the Falcone's? 

You can always tell when an artist really knows what he is doing based on the way he or she structures and draws his panels. The great thing about Tony Daniel is that oftentimes his art itself will tell the story and there is no need for the word bubbles. A good example of this are the panels where Daniel uses black and white photographs of the Falcone characters 
    to reference Jeph Loeb's ' The Long Halloween' story arc. The photographs referencing the past are strategically placed over the panel depicting the present, adding a gorgeous dynamic to his storytelling. Overall, I liked this a lot. I enjoy where Daniel is taking the story. Both the art and writing is great, but some things could be better organized. It is however, still the beginning!  

3 out of 5
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

Curses!  I only have issue one of Catwoman: When in Rome... I don't know why I didn't keep buying that.  Still, this is interesting that the Falcone family is back.  I miss the old fashioned mafia aspect to Gotham's villains.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " Curses!  I only have issue one of Catwoman: When in Rome... I don't know why I didn't keep buying that.  Still, this is interesting that the Falcone family is back.  I miss the old fashioned mafia aspect to Gotham's villains. "
    Might I recommend you get it in trade! Even if it's just for the adorable scenes where she daydreams about Batman :)
    Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pheeke

great review! ^^
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HaloKing343

cool
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Vortex13

I'm anticipating this books arrival in my mail now (I subscribe because there is no way that I am going to miss batman). I was really not enjoying this series as much in the last story arc because compared to 'Batman & Robin' it was just a little irritating that dick was so insecure about himself as batman when he was so confident the other series, though I understand that the last story arc takes place before 'Batman and Robin' begins. I'm glad that Dick is confident now in this series as well, It will make it more enjoyable for me.

You said Red Skull instead of Black Mask at one point which is very understandable seeing as the both have the same kind of look. It was made ironic when I saw the man in the gas mask in the video, seeing as he was obviously a nazi like Red Skull.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goldenkey

sound........ bad.........again
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "Curses!  I only have issue one of Catwoman: When in Rome... I don't know why I didn't keep buying that.  Still, this is interesting that the Falcone family is back.  I miss the old fashioned mafia aspect to Gotham's villains. "
    long halloween is great, so are dark victory.
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By burr787

This was a really good issue but I have a few complaints.

1. Dick has been fighting crime almost as long as Bruce, how did he not know there would be a trip wire by the house
    2. What's with the Black Mask, he's like 10 feet tall and has giant claws in this. I'm also on the fence about the science team that he has. I understand that he has to rally as many people as he can get and they show promise but they kind of give team a legion of doom feel.
    Overall a good first issue but I'm still hoping that Tomasi gets the book after Daniel. Great review btw :)
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I have to say, I was disappointed with this story, I was happy to see Catwoman since I really like her character, and I loved the art, but the story over all really left me confused and I couldn't understand half of what was going on, which is really disappointing since I loved Battle for the Cowl and is what really made want to read this issue, but the biggest thing that I think an comic is supposed to do for the reader is to want them to come back and read the next issue, which, sadly, this issue didn't do for me.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By FoxxFireArt

By the by, your voice sounds like you are doing better. That's good.

Really, is $25,000 really asking too much when the hero theoretically has access to funds in the billions?

Whoever that guy in the gas mask is. I'm going to take a wild guess, and say that I doubt his favorite book is "The Diary of Anne Frank".

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Comiclove5

Selina and Dick has a weird like Ex-Step Mother Ex-Step Son relation.

dukealoops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dukealoops

batman sucks again thanks to tony daniel 

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mbecks14

anyone else noticing the return of the black/red patterns?

-Two Face's batman costume
    -Black and Red Skull
    -That image Babs showed with the guy w/ the swastika eyes was 1/2 black and 1/3 red

just an observation. probably nothing.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like Dick better in this issue, but I really want Bruce back, I just don't like Dick that well

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By waruikumo

I didn't pick this up cause I thought the Battle of the Cowl characterization of Tim Drake was kinda off (to me, this was after reading red robin and assuming a more mature Tim, not one that will throw a temper tantrum).  But prob will pick it up.   

Also I appreciate that you (Babs) are conservative with ur ratings.  (G-man seems to give books that he says are ehhhhhh, a 3 and books he likes a 3.5 or 4)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By NightFang3

Nice review Babs and its good to have the Falcone family back.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Did I miss something? Last page of Winnick's arc showed Dick finding a disk hidden under his Robin costume memorial that had information about his family. 

Daniel's first issue completely skips over that and just goes its own way. A bit of a slight but I am guessing Judd will have his chance to return to where he left off.

Fastback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fastback

This issue reminded me of gotham underground, I loved gotham underground. 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Media_Master

Catwoman: When in Rome sounds like a cool read. 

your_navigator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By your_navigator

All in all, I liked this issue and I do enjoy all of the villains that are creeping out of the woodwork... 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.