• 55 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: We have an interview with Scott Snyder HERE for some more insight.

The Good

It’s safe to say the Joker is not joking around anymore. From the end of the last issue, we’ve seen Batman is becoming a little desperate. Going to the Court of Owls to talk shows how seriously he’s taking the situation in Gotham Joker has created. The Court represents a pretty big loss for Batman but he knows he can’t just grasp onto his pride in the hopes of solving this huge problem.

There is a slight sense of despair throughout the issue. Batman fully realizes what’s at stake. While we know him as always being prepared, he’s aware he might not survive this fight in order to save his city. Getting some insight into how Bruce feels about death is a little frightening. We know he’s not the most cheerful person around but it’s almost difficult to see him go around like this.

When Joker does appear, it’s like a punch in the gut. Greg Capullo’s art combined with Danny Miki's inks and FCO Plascencia's colors makes you pause. We’ve seen some creepy depictions of Joker but this is the sort of thing you hope you never dream about. When Joker is confronted, let’s just say one character won’t be the same again. Joker has become more ruthless than ever. He’s crossing some serious lines and has no concern about earning Batman’s wrath. He’s either unconcerned or unafraid. That makes Joker even scarier. We’re seeing a new kind of savagery with Joker and it’s something readers won’t soon forget.

Just when you think you know how the story's going to go, Snyder throws another curve ball at us. Visiting the Court of Owls was one thing. There are even more questionable people he goes to.

The Bad

The story jumps back and forth within a few hours from time to time. It does amp up the story but there was a couple times you weren't really sure if the events were happening "now" or before until the next scene told you it was "now."

When we do first see Joker, I was a little confused what happened to him before. (We will get some clarification in the upcoming interview).

The Verdict

All too often comics have an underlying feeling of being safe. The bad guys are always defeated and the good guys always win. Scott Snyder is known for beating down the beloved Batman. He puts him in situations that knock him apart so we can watch him crawl is way back to the top. We've seen many incarnations of Joker over the years but what we're seeing now is borderline disturbing. Snyder, Capullo, and the others are going all out in this arc. There's a feeling things are going to get even worse before they get better. Hopefully Batman will survive this. He has to, right? He's Batman. Don't miss this story.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

This backup and the Endgame annual make me want to read some Batman stuff written by Tynion.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Crazy Issue!

The parade scene reminded me of the first Batman movie.

Alfred will get the serum from Joker's spine to heal his severed hand.

I'm worried that Joker is being retconed too much. He's400 years old, invulnerable and knows Batman is Bruce Wayne? Great story telling, but every additional Joker story will have to take these plot points into account. One of the things that made joker great was his intellect and the fact he was just human. Not sure I like the change...

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

man this issue....that one part in the cave...My heart fell lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Snyder is knocking it outta the park! Can't remember the last time this title got lower than 5 stars!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@the_stegman: It did. It's happened a couple times. And that's not counting the Villains Month issues. But that's off topic.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Crazy Issue!

. One of the things that made joker great was his intellect and the fact he was just human. Not sure I like the change...

This was part of his appeal for me too. That despite being just some crazy human, he managed to become one of DC's worst monsters. It mirrored how Batman, despite just being some (arguably crazy) man, managed to become one of the greatest heroes and a huge asset.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great issue. I was stunned by what happened to Alfred.

Avatar image for patrickborkland
    patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused about something: why is The Joker's face degrading? I know he gets shot in the face and his ear is wounded because of that, but before he gets shot, his face is degrading away by his smile and his hair is falling out. Did I miss something?

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gracetrack

@patrickborkland said:

I'm confused about something: why is The Joker's face degrading? I know he gets shot in the face and his ear is wounded because of that, but before he gets shot, his face is degrading away by his smile and his hair is falling out. Did I miss something?

I was confused about that as well, and hopefully Snyder is going to clear it up in the interview that's coming later today.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@g_man said:

@the_stegman: It did. It's happened a couple times. And that's not counting the Villains Month issues. But that's off topic.

#Salty

Avatar image for patrickborkland
    patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: yeah I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who was confused. It's a little unsettling, I know Snyder will clarify in the next issue or in an interview, but it set me back on the issue a little bit. I love the issue tho! Things are really gettin crazy for Gotham

johnreid5895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander: Joker hasn't yet been retconned at all though...Snyder said in an interview after the last issue (I think, or at least during Endgame) that Joker is claiming he is this eternal monster under the bed and Batman doesn't believe him but is terrified it might be true...and considering what we've seen Joker go through, he either is immortal or this is going to be a fear-toxin nightmare from the first issue of Endgame.

TLDR: Snyder said it's up to people to believe Joker (immortal) or Batman (mortal), but a lot of sites have been running around as if it's definitive.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

So from the sound of things, Joker is moving more and more out of 'Batman' and into 'Gotham by Midnight'.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gracetrack

@johnreid5895 said:

Joker hasn't yet been retconned at all though...Snyder said in an interview after the last issue (I think, or at least during Endgame) that Joker is claiming he is this eternal monster under the bed and Batman doesn't believe him but is terrified it might be true...and considering what we've seen Joker go through, he either is immortal or this is going to be a fear-toxin nightmare from the first issue of Endgame.

Snyder confirmed that the events happening in Endgame are 100% real and not a dream in any way. It's not a dream or hallucination. If it ends up being one of those, then Snyder fibbed. http://www.comicvine.com/articles/interview-scott-snyder-talks-batman-endgame-and-hi/1100-151129/

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily the best book going today imo

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wow. Yet another 5 star issue.

-daydream-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By -daydream-

Yeah continue spoiling this Scott Snyder guy...i never saw a writer who is this much overrated, though he is ruining the soul of Batman comics...

So what was the outcome of the appearance of Court of Owls? Nothing..just a flashy toy to end #38 'exciting'...

I hope Endgame will be the end of Snyder era...i know he has fans and people think Batman sells good cause of him, but they should face the fact that Batman was, and will be, always the best selling with or without Snyder. Batman being popular has nothing to do with his writing

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was shocked af when Joker did what he did to you know.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-daydream-: Cool story.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gracetrack

@-daydream- said:

Yeah continue spoiling this Scott Snyder guy...i never saw a writer who is this much overrated, though he is ruining the soul of Batman comics...

So what was the outcome of the appearance of Court of Owls? Nothing..just a flashy toy to end #38 'exciting'...

My man, maybe the whole point of going to the Court of Owls was to show how desperate the situation had become and to show what lengths Batman is willing to go to in order to save his city, while simultaneously showing the readers that the Court is indeed still alive and kicking. Why does it have to be anything deeper than that?

And yeah, Snyder's popularity has everything to do with his writing. People like him because they like his stories.

-daydream-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: one way or another u come to my point saying 'he is ruining the soul of Batman'...so Batman decides to get in bed with the devil cause he is desperate? work with Bane, Penguin and etc...whats next? sell his soul to devil in exchange to save a life like Spider-Man did in OMD? thats so out of character of him...

Maybe you didnt get me, people can like Snyder or his writing, i meant Batman doesnt need Snyder to be liked, it was already be best selling without Snyder and it will again be without him.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

The madness of this series continues to be great.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutist amazing!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I actually shouted out 'HOLY $h!T' with that scene in the Batcave

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gracetrack

@-daydream-: But that just it... it's not the first time Batman has gone to extreme lengths for the greater good. But he never crosses the line of taking a life. So no, it's not really out of character for him actually.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capullo makes Joker look so scary...

And why are people always constantly complaining about Batman getting good reviews?

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, just wow

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Give this man a hand

takashi_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

off topic but....where is Owl-Man? thanks for answers in advance

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@takashi_cloud said:

off topic but....where is Owl-Man? thanks for answers in advance

I'm betting he's behind the events of Batman Eternal.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really take my time reading this book. I want to absorb the words and the amazing art. Their's nothing else like it. Great, just great!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @goonage said:

@lmothander said:

Crazy Issue!

This was part of his appeal for me too. That despite being just some crazy human, he managed to become one of DC's worst monsters. It mirrored how Batman, despite just being some (arguably crazy) man, managed to become one of the greatest heroes and a huge asset.

I agree with you guys to some extent, but I have to say that something about Joker that's even more classic to his character is the fact that he's so surrounded in mystery. You don't know who he his or how he became what he is. Even Alan Moore, in the Killing Joke, didn't give Joker a definitive origin story, inserting that "multiple choice" line into the story in order to keep it open to interpretation. In that respect, Snyder has done an amazing job of handling this "change." He's not coming out and saying that Joker is immortal. Truth is, we don't if there is any change at all.

In fact, Joker may not be immortal. He may have simply injected enough dionesium into his nervous system that he's experiencing temporary healing factor abilities.

In that way, Snyder isn't giving us a new origin for Joker. He's simply raising a new question as to his existence, further adding to the mystery that he is.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This was completely and totally awesome! From the story to the art, just awesome! That scene in the cave!! Alfred has been put through hell lately!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Zeeguy91

Had to drop this title. Price was too steep to read Snyder fanboy over his version of Joker issue after issue.

You're missing out.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't like the idea that Jokes is immortal and has been here for ages (defeats a purpose of the character to me and seems like a Pennywise rip-off).

Despite that, I am enjoying this arc. It isn't the greatest thing ever, but it's good.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: you just made me really want to get into Eternal. Lol

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this issue, thrilling stuff...Poor Alfred :(

Loved the nod to the parade scene from the movie Batman. Though the way bruce solves joker's clue on that page reminded me of phoebe from friends deciphering clues to go see her father :P

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this issue boring and poorly written.

Batman gives up and asks the Owls for help (great writing here, the owls sure are powerful since they are the first people Batman goes to for help), and then somehow the villains just agree to cooperate. And of course Harper is able to keep up with the rest of the bat family despite having no training or experience.

Meh.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

And of course Harper is able to keep up with the rest of the bat family despite having no training or experience.

You been keeping up with Batman Eternal?

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickborkland said:

I was confused about that as well, and hopefully Snyder is going to clear it up in the interview that's coming later today.

In the Newsarama interview he did, Snyder chalks up the Joker's facial injuries to Batman's cave defense systems. The idea is that he used a submarine or something to bust into the cave, but was injured by the defenses Bruce set up on his way in.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is happening after Batman Eternal right?

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono said:

@patrickborkland said:

In the Newsarama interview he did, Snyder chalks up the Joker's facial injuries to Batman's cave defense systems. The idea is that he used a submarine or something to bust into the cave, but was injured by the defenses Bruce set up on his way in.

By "cave defense systems", he was implying Alfred. That shot takes place after Joker enters the cave.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

I found this issue boring and poorly written.

Batman gives up and asks the Owls for help (great writing here, the owls sure are powerful since they are the first people Batman goes to for help), and then somehow the villains just agree to cooperate. And of course Harper is able to keep up with the rest of the bat family despite having no training or experience.

Meh.

The villains agree to cooperate because the Joker intends for the virus to take over everyone. That includes them. Also, Harper gains her first experience in Batman Eternal. This takes place after that, so she's already got a feel for her role in the Bat family.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap! What a great issue. Everyone was on their A game including Tynion with the backup story coming to an end. Endgame is probably Snyder's best since Court of Owls.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 owie  Moderator

Solid solid issue.

The only problem I had was that the Owls thing didn't really go anywhere, and then he sort of just does the same tactic of team up with the bad guys right away again.

I wish we got the Talon's response to Batman's question.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great issue. It sucks that we're getting an over month long hiatus until #40.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NimaMindTricks

@patrickborkland said:

@omnicrono: yeah I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who was confused. It's a little unsettling, I know Snyder will clarify in the next issue or in an interview, but it set me back on the issue a little bit. I love the issue tho! Things are really gettin crazy for Gotham

I have two theories on Joker's face degrading:

1. Didn't Joker say at the beginning of this arc that his face was surgically reconstructed in an artificial manner? I'm letting my friend borrow the books so I can't re-read it at the moment.
    2. If the Joker can heal thanks to this dionsium stuff in his system (allegedly for many centuries now), why didn't his face heal naturally? I mean the guy took Alfred's shot gun blast like nothing. I don't know if this has been inquired yet, but it seems like the biggest red flag. The entire "faceless Joker" doesn't seem to add up with what we're supposed to believe the Joker is now. I'm actually kind of surprise Batman has not brought that up himself.

I've also heard people theorizes this may not even be the Joker at all. He seems uncharacteristically off the rails (more than usual) *shrugs*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.