• 55 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: We have an interview with Scott Snyder about this issue right HERE.

The Good

We can all agree that the Joker is one of the greatest villains in comics. One of the fascinating things about the character is how, when he appears, you’re too sure which version you’ll get. Because the Joker is so unbalanced, we’ve seen a variety of different levels of intensity with his personality. Last time he was in Gotham, he was professing his love for Batman and the good vs evil game they took part in. When Batman dismissed the concept, Joker wasn’t too happy. Having been absent for some time, we’re now getting an idea what he’s been up to in that time as his plan starts to unfold.

The first thing you’ll notice when you open the issue is a sense of familiarity. With this being the third part of the Endgame story, the first page is reminiscent to the first page of BATMAN #15, the third part of Death of the Family. Last issue Batman was shocked upon the discover that Joker had been under his nose for sometime. With Joker getting the upper hand, Batman became aware that Joker’s plan to unleash a deadly toxin upon the city was already underway. Batman was helpless to prevent it.

This is one area where Scott Snyder thrives. We all know the writer has deep affection for Batman but he excels at creating horrific situations that try to tear Batman down. As deadly as Joker can be, Batman has fought him so many times and that’s made him believe he’ll always be able to stop him the next time. Because Joker’s had some time to do some fine tuning to his toxin, Batman might not be quite as prepared this time as he would like. On top of this, we’re getting the impression there might be more to Joker than we all thought. Of course when it comes to the Joker, you should never believe what he says or implies. This time does feel a little different though. Snyder delivers some more extremely creepy moments with Joker. This isn’t a laughing clown we’re seeing. This is the stuff of nightmares. The implications of what Jim Gordon may have discovered is something to think about.

Greg Capullo, along with Danny Miki and FCO Plascencia deliver the visuals to make this another great installment. It’s fascinating how many aspects of the previous Zero Year arc were so bright and vivid and now we’re back in the dark. The pencils and inks simply look so crisp and clean. With the hard colors jumping off the page, you’ll just want to stop and stare. Seeing a creepy Jokerized Gotham citizen peeking through the window really stands out. A later moment with Batman making a discovery brings some of the colors from the previous arc back to give us a scene with a trippy feel.

Let's not forget the backup by James Tynion IV and John McCrea. We have to take the information here with a grain of salt but it's starting to make you wonder.

The Bad

There’s some big implications involving Joker. Snyder is seemingly taking him to another level. There’s a couple things that could change as a result. Obviously we have to wait and should wait until the story is over to see how it all plays out. Also the answer to one of the questions from Death of the Family answered here changes things as well.

The Verdict

Joker is back and he's done with the jokes. We've seen Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo give us a Joker story before but now, Joker is back with a vengeance. The stakes have been raised. Gotham City has been infected and Batman is struggling to keep up with Joker's plan. With some new developments on Joker, things are about to get even worse. Scott Snyder has said he's writing this as if it was his last Joker story and you can tell. If you thought you'd seen all the Joker stories there were to tell, you haven't seen this one.

Avatar image for unpopularkarama
    unpopularkarama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Glad I decided to jump on board for this arc. I'm Batman.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dude the Gordon and joker scene was scary

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Kinda confused. What question was asked from DOTF that was answered here? Also, wasn't batman trapped in Arkham at the end of last issue?

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander: Alfred and his daughter located him and picked him up I guess.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

When Joker seemingly appeared in those pictures...I was legitimately terrified

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Saren

The fear factor is a lot more effective here than it was in DOTF.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#7  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Can't wait to get this issue!

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to pick this up.

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vulshock

@lmothander: Yeah, I'm also kind of lost on how we got from the end of part 2 to the start of part 3.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder is really bringing that horror factor to Batman.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander: The question about whether or not Joker knows Batman's identity.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

Due to scheduling issues, I can't pick this up until Friday :(

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man:

Well does he? DOES HE?!

fattytravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was already convinced that Snyder is the master of horror writing in comics after reading American Vampire and the first half of The Wake, but I think that this issue really writes that in stone, for me. It's incredible just how horrifying he is capable of making the Joker.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By NightFang3

@_darkwing_ said:

@g_man:

Well does he? DOES HE?!

Yes and it's terrifying what he does with that knowledge.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, Synder went there. This is truly horrifying. I don't think we've ever seen a Joker that this legitimately mad and vengeful.

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dethklokx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not sure what to think about this arc. If things are actually what they appear to be, this changes EVERYTHING we thought we knew about The Joker. Though Im not so sure thats a good thing. I mean for years we were under the impression that Joker was just a brilliant, mortal man capable of unspeakable things. Now we`re being hinted that he may in fact be some sort of supernatural curse on Gotham? If this turns out to be true and not another gag, it might end up cheapening the character. At least thats my opinion

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When Joker seemingly appeared in those pictures...I was legitimately terrified

I KNOW!!!! I kept thinking Gordon was hallucinating

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: A great "Off my Mind" article could be what you want for the rest of Endgame and how you want Joker to be handled in the future. That is if you so desire to write one.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dethklokx7: Joker is using Gotham folklore to strike fear in the hearts of good-doers and the innocent just like Batman uses superstition to strike fear in the hearts of evil-doers and the guilty.

Dethklokx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrshway88 You know I havent thought of it that way. I mean to the public and to a large portion of the criminal underworld, Batman is shrouded in urban myth and uncertainty to the point of being borderline supernatural. If you think about it, its kind of his own joke........and Joker is merely doing his own spin on that. If thats whats up then thats actually.........pretty clever

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_darkwing_: I can't spoil that, but I bet you'll love it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vandinejd_1991: I'm definitely gonna write something for this. Probably not until early next week :(

But that also gives people a chance to read this.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_darkwing_: I have an interview with Scott going live in a bit and I bring this up.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@lmothander: The question about whether or not Joker knows Batman's identity.

Surely there was no question, since Batman visited him as Wayne and all but confirmed it?

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't wait to get this, definitely my #1 book

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@darknightspideyfanboy: Just a curious question. How does anything in a comic scare you? Is it the image or the psychology of whats happening.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jaylstoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is all a fear toxin dream like in the Over the Edge episode from the animated series. We already know that Batman has been hit with a dose of fear toxin from the first issue of the story. It could be that he's still in it and this is his worst nightmare. That Joker isn't just a man. That he's this supernatural force that can't be stopped. He'll get worse and worse, more and more dangerous until he destroys everything Batman loves. Like I said, I'm way out on a limb and may be way off, but Snyder has said in the past how much he loves the animated series. This could be a big homage to one of its best episodes.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 owie  Moderator

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is all a fear toxin dream like in the Over the Edge episode from the animated series. We already know that Batman has been hit with a dose of fear toxin from the first issue of the story. It could be that he's still in it and this is his worst nightmare. That Joker isn't just a man. That he's this supernatural force that can't be stopped. He'll get worse and worse, more and more dangerous until he destroys everything Batman loves. Like I said, I'm way out on a limb and may be way off, but Snyder has said in the past how much he loves the animated series. This could be a big homage to one of its best episodes.

That could be a possibility. I'm not sure I like where this is headed, otherwise, with it's changes to Joker's overall concept.

There did seem to be hallucinatory elements. The part with Joe Chill, for instance...from outside his space it looks like a normal hospital space, but then all of a sudden there were weird surreal buildings that echoed the crime alley...it didn't seem real, but then as they were running off I got the impression it may have been a set I don't know. It was hard to figure out what was going on there.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap this entire issue kept me on the edge of my seat. Snyder is the man. I'm honestly hoping what happens in this issue sticks and it's not just the toxin talking

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#36  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Okay, this was pretty crazy! This Joker does not F**K around!

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: When Gordon saw what he saw in those pictures, all I could think of was the movie IT and the scene when they realized Pennywise was part of all those tragedies. That took this book to a whole other level!

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Joker is reminding me of Pennywise a bit too much and I don't like what it's doing to my mind. Jesus, I hate clowns. Always loved the Joker though. That's why I really hope this isn't the Joker and this is all just a joke.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: agreed, holy balls, it was straight up horror movie tier or a really good creepy pasta maybe.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainja: well I personally feel it's the psychology behind it. it's in the same way playing silent hill or reading a chilling scary story in the middle of the night or watching a movie that scares you. Obviously it can't hurt you and if you keep saying oh well its just a comic/movie/game then of course it's less scary, but the idea of thinking if you were in that situation, what would you do, how would you feel, etc. We (at least I) subject ourselves to these mediums and stories because temporarily/artificially scaring yourself is fun, it means you are truly invested, it means you can identify with the characters or situations so much that you feel the fear without being in any actual danger and that's how you know you are being subjected to a great story.

That's just my 2 cents

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Sweet! I am looking forward to reading your thoughts. I just finished the issue myself. I definitely have to say my mind was blown.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait another month now...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Pretty sure this is the case. Otherwise Bruce might as well hand the Joker responsibility over to Jim Corrigan and the Midnight Shift.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda confused. What question was asked from DOTF that was answered here? Also, wasn't batman trapped in Arkham at the end of last issue?

I was quite lost on this too!

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xframe29

This issue was the perfect horror issue!

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowstare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read batman much....but where did Alfred's daughter come from?

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
    batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowstare: From Batman Eternal, which is still ongoing. I guess she decided to stay and be part of the Bat family.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This was so dang good! Next month can't get here fast enough.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Perfect! Easily the best book I've read this month. I Don't see anything topping it. It can't be said enough, snyder and capullo are an amazing team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.