Zero Year to be a new take on Year One?

#1 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

At the Wondercon panel with Scott Snyder, CBR quoted him on his plans for Zero Year, saying that "With 'Zero Year' we're absolutely, 100% [doing new takes on old ideas]." He continues to explain that he will be writing an entirely new story, different from Year One. It will, of course, include essential aspects such as "the pearls in the alley," but otherwise it will be "a Gotham you've never seen before!"

Personally, I'll be happy as long as the ending ties up all the loose ends (as in, no villains escaping into the unknown, and no mystery or puzzle left unsolved).

Edit: I summarized Snyder's plans incorrectly. They are fixed now.

#2 Edited by MuyJingo (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

New takes on old ideas, i.e. continuing to rewrite continuity when there is little reason to except to make his mark - the cost being a lesser story.

At least he is admitting it now. I was getting pretty tired of him harping on in every interview how much he worships year one and would never contradict it.

#3 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course that he will rip off even Year One.And from the looks of it it will suck but I still have some low hopes for it.

#4 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

i heard about that, sounds promising.

#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (15335 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo:He contradicted year:one all they way back in Black Mirror.

#6 Edited by consolemaster001 (5655 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting

#7 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

- As long as Snyder can't muck up the current continuity with his barely mediocre stories, i'm fine.

#8 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather Snyder do something new and refreshing rather than do another batman origin story, especially since we just had zero month and Batman:Earth One. Snyder already made his mark on batman with the highly overrated Court of Owls arc he doesnt need to do his own take on batmans origin

#9 Edited by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested to see what he comes up with. I love Year One, its my favorite Batman story thus far (Disclosure: new to comics, so I haven't read a lot of them yet.) But, I always like a fresh take, as long as its a good story. I've really enjoyed Snyder's run on Batman and feel like he would do a good job with it.

#10 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@kilomac29:

I'm pretty new to comics too, and Year One is certainly one of my favorite Batman stories, but I think a different take on Batman's early days would be cool. I feel hesitant though, because Year One will probably be the story I think of rather than Zero Year, so what's the point of making it? Regardless, it's supposed to feature the Riddler, so it could have cool plot devices (I like puzzles and mysteries).

#11 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11702 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather Snyder do something new and refreshing rather than do another batman origin story, especially since we just had zero month and Batman:Earth One. Snyder already made his mark on batman with the highly overrated Court of Owls arc he doesnt need to do his own take on batmans origin

This.

#12 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower: Cool! I"m a huge riddler fan myself! Despite this:

Probably my favorite Batman villain. What you said about Year One will always hold true for me as well.

#13 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not cool with Snyder messing with Year One. Let me rephrase that, I'm not cool with current DC Editorial and Snyder messing with Year One.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.