Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

You guys are not gonna believe this

• 81 results
    DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Loading Video...

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Not sure why people would be complaining, even if they hate him.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#53  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@kal_smahboi: Hope they do something like this for Nightwing or Spywing or Robin. Whatever you want to call him! Next year will be Dick's 75th along with Captain Marvel's, Joker's, Catwoman's, and Lex Luthor's.

I guess it will be kinda cool. As long as Batman isn't affecting the actual story. I hated that about Zero Year. Don't see why they shouldn't. Everyone loves Batman and Batman does deserve this. Anyway Batman didn't get any cool history shorts or movies like Superman did so I think this is fair.

And what is wrong with DC? All this hype about Batman we are also forgetting how Sandman is also 75 :P

No Caption Provided

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's fine. It's his year. Just wish they had done something big like that for Supes' 75th.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh variants.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By PapiNacho

Well all the issues of Superman Unchained each had like five variants, plus Superman got three new series.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By deaditegonzo

Im not surprised, just disappointed.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Im not surprised, just disappointed.

What's to be disappointed about?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: DC pushes Batman so hard that it can actually be considered a detriment to the DC Universe. Its one thing to promote your top property, but dont make him a nuisance to everyone else.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: DC pushes Batman so hard that it can actually be considered a detriment to the DC Universe. Its one thing to promote your top property, but dont make him a nuisance to everyone else.

Who is he a nuisance to, specifically? The fans who want Batman comics so much that his eponymous ongoing currently sells nearly as much as Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash all put together? The ones who shelled out nearly two and a half billion dollars for his most recent movie series? Actual sales figures indicates that the majority of DC fans and comic book fans don't consider him a nuisance, and the sales of other properties in a variety of media indicate they do not or cannot hold the same level of interest in fans' minds. DC pushes Batman as hard as they do because the fans and the market keep demanding more Batman. That's the simple truth that nobody with this recurring set of complaints seems to want to recognize. Every single Zero Year tie-in saw a jump in sales that month. People were more willing to read Green Arrow or Green Lantern Corps if Batman showed up than as the books were before.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Those sales figures could just as easily paint the picture of a polarizing figure, one who has the largest following but is widely unpopular with the remaining audience. Essentially, pleasing the 60% while frustrating the 40%. A great short term plan, but the sustainability is questionable. And really, your post doesnt prove any point as I already called him the most popular character in DC, its not something I deny or debate. He is the most popular character in all comic-dom for that matter.

I do expect, much like Wolverine, there will be a backlash after some time if he is continually pushed into everything, though he is more iconic than Wolverine, so he may coast much longer. And this is largely a subjective argument, but I personally feel Batman cripples DC's ability to write good stories. Unchained, for example, was always on the brink as a book, but the subversive BatWank easily pushed it over the edge for me.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hey its his 75 and their biggest character, why not?!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Those sales figures could just as easily paint the picture of a polarizing figure, one who has the largest following but is widely unpopular with the remaining audience. Essentially, pleasing the 60% while frustrating the 40%. A great short term plan, but the sustainability is questionable. And really, your post doesnt prove any point as I already called him the most popular character in DC, its not something I deny or debate. He is the most popular character in all comic-dom for that matter.

I do expect, much like Wolverine, there will be a backlash after some time if he is continually pushed into everything, though he is more iconic than Wolverine, so he may coast much longer. And this is largely a subjective argument, but I personally feel Batman cripples DC's ability to write good stories. Unchained, for example, was always on the brink as a book, but the subversive BatWank easily pushed it over the edge for me.

It would if you bought into the idea of Batman's success only being fueled by a following of people who view themselves as primarily Batman fans more than they do as DC fans or as comic book fans, which isn't true. There isn't any evidence to suggest that there's a "remaining audience" that dislikes Batman. What those sales figures suggests is that Batman enjoys popularity among wide sections of fans in all sorts of media. The 60-40 ratio suggests 40% of comic book fans or DC fans are "frustrated" with Batman ---- if they were, he wouldn't be outselling Justice League every month. The figure should really be more like pleasing the 90% while frustrating the 10%, and that's something any company would deem an acceptable compromise, especially when there are billions of dollars at stake. If Batman's sustainability is questionable, Superman, Wonder Woman and all the rest of them are doomed.

Subjective arguments are just that: subjective. My subjective opinion is that I would need miserably low standards of what a good Superman story is to think Unchained isn't the best Superman book on the market right now. There isn't another writer at DC who's characterized Superman as accurately as Snyder has --- not Soule with his insistence that Clark and Diana are vapid airheads, not Pak with his idea that Superman and Batman are insecure jocks who need to constantly one-up each other, and not Lobdell with his "let's see how many word bubbles I can cram onto a single page" take on Superman.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deaditegonzo

@saren: Well we can disagree on our subjective opinions all night, but I feel like neither you nor I would get anywhere, since I feel your opinion of Superman must be quite low to enjoy Unchained.

So ignoring that, I will say if Batman's sustainability is in question (which i definitely think it is), it's not a big deal. It wont hurt DC at all when his sales plummet (unless they continue to put all their stock in the character), because he will simply be replaced by a new top dog. It took 50+ years, but it eventually happened to Superman, one can only assume at some point, the piper will come calling for Batman. I, in fact, thought Green Lantern was close to displacing him for a while there, but that seemed to go haywire with the New52. If you dont like the idea of your favorite character losing favor, take heart in the fact that popularity undulates, and unless DC as a whole folds (and the characters arent purchased right away), Batman's time will come again.

And yes, I would guess a large chunk of Batman's readership is made of people who exclusively read Batman books. If that wasnt the case, I wouldnt expect the market to be so lopsided as it has been in recent years. That said, its not something to easily survey, because even the majority of people on this forum would claim a wide fandom, most of whom's claims id say are suspect at the very least. Satire is generally used to mock things that exist in real life, and theres a reason the BatGod joke is so persistent.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Well we can disagree on our subjective opinions all night, but I feel like neither you nor I would get anywhere, since I feel your opinion of Superman must be quite low to enjoy Unchained.

So ignoring that, I will say if Batman's sustainability is in question (which i definitely think it is), it's not a big deal. It wont hurt DC at all when his sales plummet (unless they continue to put all their stock in the character), because he will simply be replaced by a new top dog. It took 50+ years, but it eventually happened to Superman, one can only assume at some point, the piper will come calling for Batman. I, in fact, thought Green Lantern was close to displacing him for a while there, but that seemed to go haywire with the New52. If you dont like the idea of your favorite character losing favor, take heart in the fact that popularity undulates, and unless DC as a whole folds (and the characters arent purchased right away), Batman's time will come again.

And yes, I would guess a large chunk of Batman's readership is made of people who exclusively read Batman books. If that wasnt the case, I wouldnt expect the market to be so lopsided as it has been in recent years. That said, its not something to easily survey, because even the majority of people on this forum would claim a wide fandom, most of whom's claims id say are suspect at the very least. Satire is generally used to mock things that exist in real life, and theres a reason the BatGod joke is so persistent.

Green Lantern's popularity was entirely due to Johns' ability to pull an audience. Put it in anyone else's hands, like the film did or the current books by Venditti and Van Jensen do, and pop goes the weasel. Here's an idea in need of consideration, and one that would explain why the market is lopsided in Batman's favor ---- readers just don't like the other books. Batman came off a run by Morrison and the current Snyder run is critically acclaimed to the point that he was just nominated last week for a Best Writer Eisner for Batman and The Wake. Superman's eponymous book has been mediocre from the get-go. Green Lantern's sales have dwindled since the new run started, mainly because fans and critics haven't reacted well to it. Superman's movie was very nearly a critical disaster, and nowhere near as lucrative as what one would expect from a film as heavily marketed as Man of Steel was, especially since it was riding the coat-tails of the TDK trilogy's popularity with all the carefully placed drops of Nolan's name everywhere. Wonder Woman at least has the excuse that female-led ongoings don't sell well regardless of quality. Superman doesn't. Quality is the only thing a Superman book can depend upon, and readers have decided the non-Batman books are just not that good. The Bat-God joke exists to vocalize a lot of resentment and bitterness from various quarters about the fact that their favorite hero is never going to match Batman's popularity or pop culture saturation. There isn't another reason.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By ComicStooge

@saren said:

Superman's movie was very nearly a critical disaster, and nowhere near as lucrative as what one would expect from a film as heavily marketed as Man of Steel was, especially since it was riding the coat-tails of the TDK trilogy's popularity with all the carefully placed drops of Nolan's name everywhere.

I don't think the fact that Man of Steel was a Superman movie and not a Batman movie led to it being a 'critical disaster'. Just Snyder's mediocrity as a director as opposed to Nolan's skill as a director, if we're looking at it from that perspective.

(I wish I could phrase this sentence better, but my brain is fried at the moment and I'm operative on little sleep)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Saren

@comicstooge said:

@saren said:

Superman's movie was very nearly a critical disaster, and nowhere near as lucrative as what one would expect from a film as heavily marketed as Man of Steel was, especially since it was riding the coat-tails of the TDK trilogy's popularity with all the carefully placed drops of Nolan's name everywhere.

I don't think the fact that Man of Steel was a Superman movie and not a Batman movie led to it being a 'critical disaster'. Just Snyder's mediocrity as a director as opposed to Nolan's skill as a director, if we're looking at it from that perspective.

I don't think Snyder was the chief reason behind Man of Steel's mediocrity. He's got a very striking visual style that has great potential for superhero adaptations, and he even toned down some of the irritating elements of his style for MOS, like his over-reliance on slow-motion sequences. Man of Steel sorely needed a tone shift, and hopefully the sequel will keep that in mind, but I'm content with putting Snyder in charge of crazy fight sequences featuring Superman and Batman. I can't deny that the MOS fights looked really cool, even if they were hollow and devoid of meaning at times, like the final battle with Zod. The main problem with Man of Steel was Goyer's godawful script. All the visual flair in the world means nothing if there isn't substance behind it, and Goyer's script had no substance to it. It's the reason I'm confident the sequel will be better, since the final script will be Chris Terrio's work.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@comicstooge said:

@saren said:

I don't think Snyder was the chief reason behind Man of Steel's mediocrity. He's got a very striking visual style that has great potential for superhero adaptations, and he even toned down some of the irritating elements of his style for MOS, like his over-reliance on slow-motion sequences. Man of Steel sorely needed a tone shift, and hopefully the sequel will keep that in mind, but I'm content with putting Snyder in charge of crazy fight sequences featuring Superman and Batman. I can't deny that the MOS fights looked really cool, even if they were hollow and devoid of meaning at times, like the final battle with Zod. The main problem with Man of Steel was Goyer's godawful script. All the visual flair in the world means nothing if there isn't substance behind it, and Goyer's script has no substance to it. It's the reason I'm confident the sequel will be better, since the final script will be Chris Terrio's work.

Might I ask how you feel about Luthor and Bruce's casting, or have you already shared your feelings on that?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FearTheLiving

Doesn't bother me, I'm not a huge fan of pimping out Batman like DC likes to do, but this is one reason I understand so I don't mind one bit.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kal_smahboi said:

That's fine. It's his year. Just wish they had done something big like that for Supes' 75th.

@comicace3 said:
    @bezza said:

@entropy_aegis:

I don't have a problem with it, getting to 75 years is worth celebrating.

My only criticism is that DC didn't do something similar last year for Superman, who is probably equally as iconic, if not more....

Yeah I agree they should've done more

Plus they're putting Batman's 75 anniversary logo on a ton of books whereas Superman's was on 1.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce would be proud.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This is great news.There will be some pretty cool covers coming left and right.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Bezza

..Batman is everywhere because its basically Batman vs the Marvel Universe these days, when it comes to DCs efforts to match the popularity of the Marvel characters. DC don't even seem to be bothering to promote most of the others, Superman excepted.

.but Batman deserves his moment of glory this year, the boy done good in keeping the DC flag flying...

Wonder whether Green Lantern, Flash and wonder Woman will get 75 covers in the coming few years?! They all reach 75 by 2016....Flash is next up, 75 in January 2015...being a massive fan of the scarlet speedster, I expect nothing less than a Flash Year one tie in with all DC books...!!

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By comicace3

@kal_smahboi said:

@comicace3 said:
    @bezza said:

@entropy_aegis:

My only criticism is that DC didn't do something similar last year for Superman, who is probably equally as iconic, if not more....

Plus they're putting Batman's 75 anniversary logo on a ton of books whereas Superman's was on 1.

As a Batman fan I think they are doing too much. Or maybe they did too little for superman

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By I3IO_HAZARD

It's batman guys, the most popular comic book character of all time. This is to be expected.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MetalJimmor

Not sure why people would be complaining, even if they hate him.

I echo this statement. I'm not really sure why so many here are talking about how angry this will make "Batman haters".

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@kal_smahboi said:

@comicace3 said:
    @bezza said:

@entropy_aegis:

As a Batman fan I think they are doing too much. Or maybe they did too little for superman

They did to little for Superman

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#79  Edited By PapiNacho
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@metaljimmor:

Think some people just like to hope there will be arguments. I don't think anyone is surprised or upset that DC are making a big thing of Bat's 75th anniversary, him being their most popular and successful character by far, just now.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being on all the batfamily covers would make sense, but they didn't do that. In this case it's like hey, these titles may sell a bit better this month if we stick ol bats on the cover!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.