Would you live in Gotham?

#1 Posted by captain_oblivious (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been catching up on the Batman issues and it seems Gotham has taken a turn for the worse since I've been reading it (late 80s-90s). Catching up there's Contagion, Cataclysm, No Man's Land. And recently Death of a Family where Joker seemed to take out a bunch of the police force. A recent issue with the Mad Hatter had him kidnapping some people in a club and dressing them up in characters from Alice in Wonderland. He got angry and had them executed.

I know Batman comics have always been gritty as opposed to Superman, but given the option of living in Detroit or Gotham I'd probably feel safer in Detroit. Even if Gotham is supposed to be Chicago, a place where, like New York, if you could succeed there you could succeed anywhere, would you try your luck there?

#2 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

why the hell not there are a lot of heros in gotham

#3 Edited by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellz no. kevlar riot gear with trauma plates arent enough to live there. But hey, its jersey...

#4 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

- I'd probably live in the city that i was born in. Thus, no i probably wouldn't live in gotham unless i got an incredibly good job opportunity and even then, i would have to think twice about it.

#5 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeaaaaaah no

#6 Posted by End_Boss (737 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Edited by consolemaster001 (5597 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd really love to meet batman, but no.

#8 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

never

#9 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, I'd live in Metropolis. Probably see more heroes in public.

#10 Edited by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I live in New Jersey, and theoretically I'm already there

#11 Posted by Nightwing4 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no. If I lived in the DCU I'd live in Wichita Kansas.

#12 Posted by Dodobot (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm amazed anyone lives there. It is called home by some of the most terrifying serial killers and monsters in the DC universe. Organized crime is so fervent there that police have turned to relying on a masked vigilante to carry out the most difficult law enforcement tasks. No one, not even law enforcement or their families, are safe from violence there. It's been invaded by zombies, aliens, vampires and plant creatures.

I would live Lego Gotham. I would love to punch a dumpster only to have it break into a multitude of twitching plastic blocks.

#13 Posted by Bruxae (13883 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had superhero potential yes, otherwise.. maybe.

#14 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

no I might get shot, but I guess metropolis isnt much better. Your house might get smashed by giant robots or you could be vaporized by aliens

#15 Edited by gettogaara (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe. It would be pretty exciting......but then again you've got about a 1/3 chance of getting killed.

#16 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless I had superpowers, or had martial arts training, of at least 20 years, then I;d stay the hell away from there.

In the DCU, doesn't Crime Alley have the highest crime rate in the US?

#17 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Black_Claw (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if their prisons weren't so easy to escape from, their police force was a lot more competent and not high with corruption, and above all, throw Joker in the electric chair. Then yes.

#19 Edited by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really.

#20 Posted by consolemaster001 (5597 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless I had superpowers, or had martial arts training, of at least 20 years, then I;d stay the hell away from there.

HA

#21 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

In the DCU, doesn't Crime Alley have the highest crime rate in the US?

word

#22 Posted by SHTR (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not.

#23 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not but since I live in a very crime free city then going to Gotham would feel like an interesting social experiment. But no, its not exactly the most safest place for a family to live (I'm looking at you, Gordons!!)

#24 Posted by darknightgotham (8 posts) - - Show Bio

not in a million years, if I lived in the DCU I would stay as far away from Gotham, Metropolis and such cities. It's great to read stories of Gotham, but it would be horrible to live in Gotham.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.